Tea That Tastes Like Grape

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jul 1st, '10, 18:09

Tea That Tastes Like Grape

by Cael » Jul 1st, '10, 18:09

I thought I would put this out there, because I'm having a hard time identifying this tea. The person at the tea shop was entirely not helpful either, although I was told that the owner of the shop would have known.

I have a tea that at the second brew it starts to taste like bitter sweet grapes and swiss chard. I really like it, but I'm not sure what type of tea it is. It is definitely a black tea, but I haven't had a black tea that tastes like this before.

The leaves are also all chopped up, so I can't see what the whole leaf would have looked like. Tasting the leaves themselves they are kind of chewy. The flavor of the grape doesn't really hit until the bottom of the first cup and is much more prominent in the second cup.

Anyone have any ideas?

Jul 1st, '10, 19:01
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Tea That Tastes Like Grape

by Victoria » Jul 1st, '10, 19:01

My guess is that it is a Second Flush Darjeeling.
Read the description for the Sungma Second Flush
Last tea listed here:
http://teaemporium.net/2ndFlush_DarjeelingTea_2010.asp

Jul 1st, '10, 20:11

by entropyembrace » Jul 1st, '10, 20:11

yes, almost for sure a 2nd flush darjeeling :)

Jul 2nd, '10, 10:22

by Cael » Jul 2nd, '10, 10:22

Thank you. I had considered that, but usually darjeelings that I have had, first or second flush have a more complex flavor profile for the first steep than this one did. Since there are other people who weren't influenced by a suggestion that it might be, I feel a little more confident in it.

+ Post Reply