Jun 30th, '10, 13:39

tea tray

by Marco » Jun 30th, '10, 13:39

Hello all

what is important about a tea tray - besides design?
What should I have in mind when I look for one?
And what is a good source for tea trays?

I have to say it should be easy to clean and personally I like wood. :)

hope for tons of good answers

ciao
Marco

Jun 30th, '10, 14:46
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: tea tray

by Victoria » Jun 30th, '10, 14:46

The most important thing is that it be of good quality and not leak.

Finding a bargain my be a good thing, but you won't regret an investment
in a nice tray, it will serve you well. First you need to decide which type is best for you and your set up.

There are basically 3 types:

1. A slotted top that collects the liquid underneath in the body of the tray itself. You would then take the whole tray to sink to dump it.

2. Removable bottom tray. Some tea trays have a removable plastic bottom tray. Your tray can remain in place and you remove the tray liner and take it to the sink to dump.

3. Drain style with a hose. This tray drains into a plastic tubing that can run out of sight under the table, but you will need a milk jug or something to catch the liquid.

I have several trays but this tray, I have been very happy with. It just so happens to be a great deal. It is out of stock now, but they do restock often:
http://shop.andaotea.com/products/wooden-tea-tray

Ebay is another option - sometime listed as Tea Tables.

Don't buy from Republic of Tea. The are notorious leakers.

Jun 30th, '10, 14:54

by debunix » Jun 30th, '10, 14:54

I had to take some silicone sealant to my inexpensive bamboo trays eventually, but the biggest problem with them, that I did not note when I bought them, was the way the top surface is not flat--not speaking of the rim itself, but the inner main working surface, which has a raised 1 inch flat inner rim that effectively reduces the working area to something frequently too small for my purposes. I just bought a new one that is only slightly larger in outer diameter but will functionally be a lot bigger.

Got mine at my local Wing Hop Fung store, but they carry the same one I just bought on a related web site, albeit for twice the price. It's a take whole tray to sink & dump kind of tray.

Jul 1st, '10, 02:37

by Marco » Jul 1st, '10, 02:37

Thanks a lot Victoria.
I really like the design of this one. And it is cheap. If it is well processed I will choose it :)
Besides does Andao have teas you would recommend? If I order a tray I could add some things :D

@Debunix: Unfortunately BirdPick does not ship international. They have some nice little sets and cups.

My oh my - you send me a link to a vendor and in my head I fill my shopping cart. I think I have to work some extra hours for my new addiction :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'd like to have a small tray too. And I need a functional tea setup for my office.

ciao
Marco

Jul 1st, '10, 02:49

by debunix » Jul 1st, '10, 02:49

Know anyone who teaches woodworking and could use this as a demonstration project for their students? The simple box with slotted lid design might be a nice change from the endless cutting boards that so many have to prepare.

Jul 1st, '10, 07:47

by Victoria » Jul 1st, '10, 07:47

No, sorry, haven't had any of their teas in awhile.
Maybe someone will jump in.
I see they have a small tray too. :)

Jul 1st, '10, 08:34

by chicagopotter » Jul 1st, '10, 08:34

debunix wrote:I had to take some silicone sealant to my inexpensive bamboo trays eventually, but the biggest problem with them, that I did not note when I bought them, was the way the top surface is not flat--not speaking of the rim itself, but the inner main working surface, which has a raised 1 inch flat inner rim that effectively reduces the working area to something frequently too small for my purposes. I just bought a new one that is only slightly larger in outer diameter but will functionally be a lot bigger.

Got mine at my local Wing Hop Fung store, but they carry the same one I just bought on a related web site, albeit for twice the price. It's a take whole tray to sink & dump kind of tray.
I got the same or similar from tea habitat (for cheaper). Really like it. Did have to seal it w/ silicone too, but because it doesn't stay wet, there is going to be some cracking/shrinking. Am planning on making some out of clay once I get my home studio set up.

Jul 1st, '10, 11:06

by Tead Off » Jul 1st, '10, 11:06

debunix wrote:I had to take some silicone sealant to my inexpensive bamboo trays eventually, but the biggest problem with them, that I did not note when I bought them, was the way the top surface is not flat--not speaking of the rim itself, but the inner main working surface, which has a raised 1 inch flat inner rim that effectively reduces the working area to something frequently too small for my purposes. I just bought a new one that is only slightly larger in outer diameter but will functionally be a lot bigger.

I own a larger version of the one at the link at Bird Pick. At least it looks identical in style of bamboo and design. I have used it extensively for over a year and there is no leaking, warping, or anything else that would be a negative about it. Very well made. I bought mine in Hong Kong and I think I was told it was a Taiwanese manufacture. BTW, that's a very good price for something like that in Amerika.

Jul 1st, '10, 15:52

by debunix » Jul 1st, '10, 15:52

I think I paid 19.99 for mine at the store.

Jul 1st, '10, 16:17

by Geekgirl » Jul 1st, '10, 16:17

weird. andao tea requires a password now in order to view the online shop?

Jul 1st, '10, 16:20

by Victoria » Jul 1st, '10, 16:20

Strange. Just started today I guess.
Probably a glitch.

Jul 3rd, '10, 19:28

by beachape » Jul 3rd, '10, 19:28

I've got the andao one, great product good price.

Jul 3rd, '10, 20:42

by Proinsias » Jul 3rd, '10, 20:42

For a functional office or travel set I can't recommend the Dragon Tea House enough. What's not shown in the photos is that you can unfold it giving you a two tier tea tray, one tier with drainage. I've been using it for years almost daily, as has my friend his, and aside from the hinges rusting a little it's going well. The faircup is rubbish but a cup over 60ml means there is no need to use it.

Kam has a nice selection and I've been happy with trays I, or friends, have bought from him. I do recall something recently about him being tough to contact so you may want to try an email first if you see something you like.

edit: another option is to get a bowl. Instead of making a mess, you pour excess fluid into the bowl. Ther only time I really feel the need for a tea tray is when I'm using yixing, and that's only as I don't have a bowl which would nicely accomodate my pots. Stéphane Erler is a big fan of this:Image

Jul 5th, '10, 15:58

by Marco » Jul 5th, '10, 15:58

Proinsias wrote: edit: another option is to get a bowl. Instead of making a mess, you pour excess fluid into the bowl. Ther only time I really feel the need for a tea tray is when I'm using yixing, and that's only as I don't have a bowl which would nicely accomodate my pots.
Hey Proinsias,

so you think one does not really need a tea-tray?
My intention has been the look and the flair of a tray. I do not want to set it under water - but perhaps they are designed for that purpose.
I'd like to go to my tea-shelf and have something I can put my tea-ware on and carry it to my desk or balcony for a little relaxation and drinking.
In the moment I have just my towels for the drops of water and tea that fall on my desk and I am cleaning. - But that's not it.
So should I use a tray? Or something else?

Jul 5th, '10, 16:01

by debunix » Jul 5th, '10, 16:01

I like the tray because it takes care of most splashes, spills, in addition to giving me a place to pour the deliberate waste like water used to warm before brewing, rinses, etc. A bowl does the 2nd job,but not the first.

+ Post Reply