Suggestions for Unused Samples

For general/other topics related to tea.

Jul 3rd, '10, 17:04

Suggestions for Unused Samples

by Korren » Jul 3rd, '10, 17:04

As someone new to drinking tea, my first purchase from Adagio consisted of an abundance of sampler packs. Now that I've tried most of them and found what I do and do not like, I find myself with several teas that I don't intend to drink again. It seems wasteful to simply throw them out and I don't know anyone else interested in consuming tea, so I came here for suggestions.

Is there something I can do with my excess tea or should I simply resign myself to throwing it out?

Jul 3rd, '10, 17:25

Re: Suggestions for Unused Samples

by debunix » Jul 3rd, '10, 17:25

Unflavored tea samples might be saved for seasoning a teapot, turning into iced tea or spiced tea, or composted (my worms seem to love tea leaves); flavored tea samples don't lend themselves as well to those uses, so I'd compost them. That is, of course, assuming you don't have access to a workplace coffee table where a few bits of tea might be welcomed for a change of place.

And welcome to TeaChat!

Jul 3rd, '10, 18:47

by nonc_ron » Jul 3rd, '10, 18:47

debunix wrote:And welcome to TeaChat!
Yeah, What She said.Image

Jul 3rd, '10, 19:36

by geeber1 » Jul 3rd, '10, 19:36

You could post them on the TeaSwap thread. Be sure to read the posting rules first, though.

Jul 3rd, '10, 20:29
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 3rd, '10, 20:29

geeber1 wrote:You could post them on the TeaSwap thread. Be sure to read the posting rules first, though.
+1 on all points. You would have to request permission to post a swap since you are new to TeaChat.

Otherwise ... in a word, TeaBaths! :mrgreen:

Jul 4th, '10, 19:31

by Korren » Jul 4th, '10, 19:31

debunix wrote:Unflavored tea samples might be saved for seasoning a teapot, turning into iced tea or spiced tea, or composted (my worms seem to love tea leaves); flavored tea samples don't lend themselves as well to those uses, so I'd compost them. That is, of course, assuming you don't have access to a workplace coffee table where a few bits of tea might be welcomed for a change of place.

And welcome to TeaChat!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. :D

My workplace is definitely coffee-centric, the box of Bigalow green tea bags that sits in the break room typically goes untouched. As far as TeaSwap goes, my samples are in the back end of the 6 month guideline I read about for tea freshness, but I will be sure to keep it in mind the next time a new tea doesn't work out for me.

I haven't heard of seasoning a tea pot before, so I'll have to look into that a bit. I did read that cold brewing iced tea can change the taste, but does it really change that much? To give an idea of my preferences, oolongs make up the bulk of what I haven't cared for so far, as my tastes tend more towards the lighter greens and whites, but I've also enjoyed a couple black teas.

Jul 4th, '10, 19:41

by debunix » Jul 4th, '10, 19:41

"Seasoning a teapot" refers to steeping/soaking an unglazed teapot to help coat the inside of the pot so that it doesn't absorb so much of the flavor of the teas you brew in it, and eventually it develops sufficient patina to supposedly add to the flavor of the teas brewed in it. But you want to do that with the same sort of tea that you'll use in the pot--puerh for a puerh pot, oolong for an oolong pot. A strongly flavored tea could wreck much of what is later brewed in the pot.

It's a beloved topic for members of the cult of the yixing pot, primarily consisting of puerh purists and oolong obsessed, and extending to pots of other special clays as well.

There are lots of yixing pot seasoning threads and websites if you are interested. And if you don't have a yixing pot, don't intend to get a yixing pot, or have no idea what a yixing pot is, well, give us a few months or a year. And save those unflavored but otherwise ok oolong samples for seasoning the pot you'll soon have to have!

Jul 6th, '10, 17:27

by Korren » Jul 6th, '10, 17:27

debunix wrote:There are lots of yixing pot seasoning threads and websites if you are interested. And if you don't have a yixing pot, don't intend to get a yixing pot, or have no idea what a yixing pot is, well, give us a few months or a year. And save those unflavored but otherwise ok oolong samples for seasoning the pot you'll soon have to have!
Right now I'm drinking tea in an attempt to kick a bad soda habit that I've had for quite a while now, so it's very much a conscious effort. Hopefully, in time, I'll be able to make the shift away from sodas and simply enjoy the tea experience more. When that happens, I'll definitely look more into yixing as it sounds interesting, as does the Gong Fu style of brewing, but for now I think I'll stick with my IngenuiTEA. :D

+ Post Reply