Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jul 6th, '10, 15:21

Re: What Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by Shaiha » Jul 6th, '10, 15:21

A 2009 Dong Ding from American Tea Room

BB,

Shaiha

Jul 6th, '10, 17:45

by bongoman » Jul 6th, '10, 17:45

An average TKY from a local tea shop here in Australia.

I haven't been too impressed with it but for some reason, the first infusion this morning was delicious. Burnt sugar/toffee/palm sugar tastes - these may not be desirable characteristics in TKY, I don't know, but after drinking young sheng all day yesterday, it was great.

Jul 6th, '10, 23:51

by chittychat » Jul 6th, '10, 23:51

Finished the other half of Ali Shan from the OTTI Adagio Master Selection brewed cold over night in the ref. The result gave a large glass of drinkable tea far better than the hot brewing attempt a few days ago. I actually wanted to throw the tea away but then the better half of mine told me not to instead dry the cold brewing. So nothing was wasted.
The next I will cold brew is the TGY of the same enigmatic :wink: selection.

Jul 7th, '10, 23:08

by chittychat » Jul 7th, '10, 23:08

Yes, today it was the TGY of the OTTI #3 of Adagio Master Selection of questionable teas. Brewed cold and I had a pleasant tea. Now I will try this brewing with some leftover teas I have which have died.

Jul 9th, '10, 19:22

by Sententia » Jul 9th, '10, 19:22

I ordered Wuyi Tea from Adagio, just got it in 5 minutes ago. Started my kettle and now it's brewing. I'm excited.. will continue this post in 5 minutes when it's ready.

It's about 94 degrees outside today.. when I got the box, the teas where really hot. I hope the heat didn't cause any ills. From what I can tell so far it looks good, has that oriental smell that I love. Not quite sure how it compares to the last batch. Let's give it a try!

I'm also eating an American mix sub so bare with me. The color of the tea is darkish brown, a shade lighter than the actual tea. After my first few sips it tastes great! I love those dark, barkly notes at the end of the sip. This tea is rival to my favorite. Maybe my favorite Oolong, it may take weeks to determine that but so far it's going good.

I'm having this tea with my supper.. it's one of those tea's that I see myself having at any occasion. Maybe not a morning tea for me however, though a dependable tea. I tend to like my Oolong's at night and Green and Whites in the morning. Now that I took some more sips.. I imagine milk would go absolutely great with this tea.

Now that my palate has gotten a good taste, I'd give this tea a 5 out of a 5. I'm glad I ordered the big tin. :D

Jul 10th, '10, 20:43

by debunix » Jul 10th, '10, 20:43

Just finished a thermos of Supreme Big Red Robe from Wing Hop Fung. It's nice to be reminded of just how good it is: not flashy, or something to make you jump for joy, but solidly wonderful. It's been too long since I made a pot of it.

Jul 10th, '10, 23:25

by debunix » Jul 10th, '10, 23:25

100% Hawaiian grown oolong from Hilo Coffee Mill this evening.

I’ve been given a sample of this tea as part of a tea swap (hope you're enjoying the lemon myrtle rooibos, Victoria).

Dry leaves: strong tart/fruity aroma.
Infused 2 grams of leaves in a 50mL yixing pot with 190°F/88°C water for 30 seconds. The tea is fruity, sweet, like ripe plums.
A second infusion for 30 seconds brings out a little spiciness in addition to the rich fruit.
3rd infusion at 60 seconds is still strongly, deeply, fruity.
4th infusion at 120 seconds is sweet, fruity, not much tart left.
5th infusion at 4 minutes is losing strength, a little sweet, a little fruity, warm and friendly, but not strong like the earlier infusions.
6th infusion at 10 minutes (just couldn’t let it go) is still pleasant, mildly plummy, sweet, but again rather dilute.

I think I may actually buy a little of this for a treat. It doesn’t have the legs of a great Dan Cong, but the fruit up front--even just the aroma of the leaves--is pretty incredible.

Jul 11th, '10, 01:21
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jul 11th, '10, 01:21

I'm glad you liked it Debunix. I really do too. I've cross posted your review here:
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 59#p161859

Jul 11th, '10, 02:00

by debunix » Jul 11th, '10, 02:00

I had expected something nice, but was quite surprised to find it so amazing.

Jul 12th, '10, 01:57

by debunix » Jul 12th, '10, 01:57

Tonight I broke out the sample of Xiang Hua Tie Guan Yin I bought from Jing Tea Shop last fall, and compared it to a newly opened package of 2010 Spring Diamond Tie Guan Yin from Norbu. They were both fabulous, and I can highly recommend them both.

I used 2 grams of tea in small gaiwans, with 60mL water, started at 190°F/88°C 30-45 seconds first infusion, went through 6 infusions, and stopped because I ran out of time, rather than because the teas ran out of flavor to give.

Jul 12th, '10, 21:19

by tingjunkie » Jul 12th, '10, 21:19

Ali Shan Din Hu from FL. This time given a week or so to get over any travel shock and made in a gaiwan instead of a pot. No noticeable improvement. :(

Also had my first round of 2010 Farmer's Choice BZ in the gaiwan as well. Quite disappointed compared to the 2009. Got a strong boiled corn on the cob (or corn silk) flavor, but the floral/fruity notes and long finish were lacking.

Is it me? Maybe I'm in a tea slump. Perhaps it's the weather? I'm not giving up on these. Usually Floating Leaves delivers the goods.

Jul 13th, '10, 03:05

by bongoman » Jul 13th, '10, 03:05

Wu Ling from teafromtaiwan.com

Only had one session with it in my small 60ml gaiwan but it was delicious.

Jul 13th, '10, 08:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jul 13th, '10, 08:45

tingjunkie wrote:Ali Shan Din Hu from FL. This time given a week or so to get over any travel shock and made in a gaiwan instead of a pot. No noticeable improvement. :(

Also had my first round of 2010 Farmer's Choice BZ in the gaiwan as well. Quite disappointed compared to the 2009. Got a strong boiled corn on the cob (or corn silk) flavor, but the floral/fruity notes and long finish were lacking.

Is it me? Maybe I'm in a tea slump. Perhaps it's the weather? I'm not giving up on these. Usually Floating Leaves delivers the goods.
Funny, you know I feel the same way. However I really liked the Ali Shan Din Hu, a solid 4 stars, a bit more than you it seems. The LiShan seemed better again this year. Not sure I have even opened the baozhong yet.

Jul 13th, '10, 11:40

by entropyembrace » Jul 13th, '10, 11:40

Have been finishing off my 2009 FLT Farmer´s Choice Baozhong...it´s delicious :)

but...I´m not sure if it´s just my memory being off or what but it seems more oxidized than it was just a few months ago when I bought it. :shock:

lots of red on the edges of the leaves and very dark green...brews quite a dark cup too. :shock:

Jul 13th, '10, 18:09

by tingjunkie » Jul 13th, '10, 18:09

entropyembrace wrote:Have been finishing off my 2009 FLT Farmer´s Choice Baozhong...it´s delicious :)
Yeah, the 2009 was serious stuff. That's why I ordered more than a sample of the 2010. :?

I'm beginning to think the 2010 teas are mostly not-so-fantastic due to the bad winter. Time to scout deals on remaining 2009 stocks. :wink:

+ Post Reply