OTTI 2010 Round 3 Master of the Oolong ... and Reviews!

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 2010 Round 3 Master of the Oolong ... and Reviews!

Postby Chip » Jul 7th, '10, 23:28

geeber1 wrote:I haven't tried mine yet and probably am not the best judge, but I'll put my two cents' worth in when I do - maybe tomorrow?

I hope you get to brew some up Geeber! I am looking forward to hearing what you have to say. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Victoria » Jul 7th, '10, 23:28

It doesn't seem to me anyone is accusing you of tainting or contaminating the tea. Only that the batches seem different, which would fall back on Adagio. I bought my sample the day it was released and then I repurchased the tea in the 4 oz tin within the week. So I am certain I have the same batch. I am wondering if by chance the "regular TKY" was shipped to you in error. Although I have had that one too, and find it quite drinkable. I am really at a loss to what may have happened. But I'm certainly interested in finding out, as I had planned to repurchase this tea.
Victoria

Postby Chip » Jul 7th, '10, 23:43

Thank you Victoria for your comments.

I do feel badly, a lot went into this and I would certainly like to see every OTTI be a positive experience for everyone participating.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Geekgirl » Jul 8th, '10, 00:56

I don't think you should feel badly at all, Chip. Nobody is questioning your handling of the tea, at least nowhere that I've seen. Of all the scenarios I've thought of personally, that seems the least likely by far that anything tainted the tea in your possession.

Another factor to consider is the fact that some of us have access to exceptionally high quality oolongs and are, for lack of a better word, nitpicky.

The OTTI gave me an opportunity to taste teas I never would have tried on my own. I doubt I would have ordered even a sample of the Adagio Master's Series, given my proximity to several of the better teashops in the country, and I really enjoyed the Adagio MS AliShan, and also the Rishi Hsinchu, which was really nice.

It was great too, having the opportunity to revisit my impressions of the TKY through trade with Victoria, (which convinced me that there are indeed two different batches of this tea, or at the very least, a contaminated tin,) and seemed much better on the retry (dolmathakia and all. :) )

I would hate if you felt badly about this, and am very pleased to have participated. Thank you.
Geekgirl

Postby Chip » Jul 8th, '10, 01:20

Thank you as well, Geek and thanks for participating.

I guess I felt I needed to say something ... maybe I take things too seriously sometimes. 8)
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Dresden » Jul 8th, '10, 12:59

Chip wrote:I guess I felt I needed to say something ... maybe I take things too seriously sometimes. 8)

You???? Really?!?!?! :lol:

It's all good... I feel confident that it was just a bad batch.

That said, I'm STILL hoping to find a box of instant potatoes that tastes like a premium TKY :lol:
Dresden

Postby geeber1 » Jul 8th, '10, 21:54

My curiosity finally won over my lack of a gaiwan (discovered the other day that it had a big crack in it, so have to get a new one) and I brewed some of the Adagio TKY this morning.

I know it's totally against the protocol, but please don't shoot me :cry: but I used 5.3 grams of leaves to 16 oz. water in my Brown Betty pot. Water at 208, steeped for 3 minutes. I thought the dry leaves had a typical "greener" oolong aroma. I didn't notice any mashed potato aroma either from the brewed tea or from the wet leaves. More of a slightly sweet, vegetal aroma. The leaves were quite broken. As someone else said, I would expect whole leaves for the price tag.

This was a smooth, drinkable tea. I have another TKY sample from another vendor and tomorrow I will compare them. The Adagio is good, but like others have noted, maybe not as good as you would expect for the price.
geeber1

Postby chittychat » Jul 8th, '10, 23:49

I am quite confident by now that I did not receive a bad batch of Tie Guan Yin, instead what I got was no TGY at all. Aroma, flavor and opened tea leaves all point to this. What it was I can't tell, surely some greener anxi oolong of lower quality. :( May Guan Yin have mercy with whoever did this. :wink:
chittychat

Postby TIM » Jul 9th, '10, 00:02

chittychat wrote:I am quite confident by now that I did not receive a bad batch of Tie Guan Yin, instead what I got was no TGY at all. Aroma, flavor and opened tea leaves all point to this. What it was I can't tell, surely some greener anxi oolong of lower quality. :( May Guan Yin have mercy with whoever did this. :wink:

These are very interesting reviews regarding oolongs.
How do you all brew your light TGY?
If we have more details on brewing and handling steps and techniques, we might find a cure :roll: Love to help :D
TIM
Vendor Member

Postby Geekgirl » Jul 9th, '10, 00:09

Second batch I received was certainly TKY. Looked the same, rolled bitten leaves. Sorry seems my multiple comments opened up a bunch of doubt.

Tim, for my second sampling I brewed the first batch as your instructions for your anxi, only difference was I used 5g/90ml. Rinse, rest, 185deg, 185deg, 190deg, boiling... etc

Second time I tried the second sample, I used the same proportions 5g/90ml, but used all boiling rinse/steeps. It's better (IMO,) with boiling, more warm notes, more sweetness, less "starchy."
Geekgirl

Postby TIM » Jul 9th, '10, 00:17

Geekgirl wrote:Second batch I received was certainly TKY. Looked the same, rolled bitten leaves. Sorry seems my multiple comments opened up a bunch of doubt.

Toki, for my second sampling I brewed the first batch as your instructions for your anxi, only difference was I used 5g/90ml. Rinse, rest, 185deg, 185deg, 190deg, boiling... etc

Second time I tried the second sample, I used the same proportions 5g/90ml, but used all boiling rinse/steeps. It's better (IMO,) with boiling, more warm notes, more sweetness, less "starchy."

Hi Geekgirl, Anxi light TGY suppose to have bitten whole leaves, thats a sign of good craftsmanship, but in a very control fashion of course.

If you do have a bit more sample left, I would suggest 7g/90ml (the 7g is a traditional standard for competition ratio in Anxi) 190F/15s, 15s, boiling/20s and on. The extra 2g and hotter water might really do justice. Good Luck :D ~ T
TIM
Vendor Member

Postby chittychat » Jul 9th, '10, 00:28

TIM wrote:
chittychat wrote:I am quite confident by now that I did not receive a bad batch of Tie Guan Yin, instead what I got was no TGY at all. Aroma, flavor and opened tea leaves all point to this. What it was I can't tell, surely some greener anxi oolong of lower quality. :( May Guan Yin have mercy with whoever did this. :wink:

These are very interesting reviews regarding oolongs.
How do you all brew your light TGY?
If we have more details on brewing and handling steps and techniques, we might find a cure :roll: Love to help :D

First you have to have a TGY. Look at the first pictures of nikE on this thread, those are not TGY leaves. At least all the TGY I had so far (15+) when opened showed the bud and stem up the the third leave never such large leaves of 4th or 5th grade with no buds at all. May be it is another way of making TGY I am not aware of.

Methods in plucking vary by how many leaves you pluck with a bud.

Imperial - the bud and first leaf to follow are taken.

Fine - taking the bud and the two leaves that follow; produces the optimal quality of tea.

Average - bud is taken with the first three leaves; allows the plant to grow better, but produces a lesser quality of tea.
chittychat

Postby TIM » Jul 9th, '10, 00:39

Chittycha-You must been very lucky, all 15 + of your 'TGY' were Taiwanese TGY or Chinese Fake Taiwanese TGY :lol: Only Modern Taiwanese green oolong uses these picking method. Or if you go lower grade Anxi TGY, they might leave a stem or extra leaf for you, but we mostly call them Mao Cha. So what Nike shown was a proper looking Fuijian Anxi Light TGY minus the brushed edges. We are talking China Anxi TGY from the beginning, Right?
TIM
Vendor Member

Postby chittychat » Jul 9th, '10, 00:56

Luckily I must say that the TGY I have purchased from China and the ones which were given to me as gift were all from China. Now I found here something else:

Tieguanyin tea can mean different things to different people

When used broadly, Tieguanyin tea refers to the entire family of teas produced in southern Fujian, which include quality varieties such as
...snip...

Da Ye Wu Long (Big Leaf Wu Long)

May be that is it.

Even the 7 g TGY vacuum sachet I purchase from the Chinese grocery has bud with stem and leaves and aroma and flavor typical of a TGY. If they are "fake" I could not care less since I enjoy(ed) drinking them all which I cannot say from this to me "fake" big leave TGY. :lol:
chittychat

Postby TIM » Jul 9th, '10, 01:20

Yes, absolutely you are one lucky person indeed. As long as it's your cup of tea, and you enjoyed them, it's great tea to you.

But in TC, we try to help each others with facts, not Internet google kind of facts.

TiKwanYin plant is a varital, like yorkshire pig to pork. And de-steming is a traditional process in Anxi (where TGY processing originate). Then pass d on to Taiwan, where it's been further refined.

If I ordered a BBQ Yorkshire baby back ribs, I would expect not to get a black footed pig, and not get a half roasted ribs with no BBQ sauces on my pork. :lol:

And we have not even touch the subject that how it should be prepare.
Last edited by TIM on Jul 9th, '10, 02:17, edited 2 times in total.
TIM
Vendor Member

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions