OTTI 2010 Round 3 Master of the Oolong ... and Reviews!

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 2010 Round 3 Master of the Oolong ... and Reviews!

Postby Geekgirl » Jul 9th, '10, 02:12

TIM wrote:
Hi Geekgirl, Anxi light TGY suppose to have bitten whole leaves, thats a sign of good craftsmanship, but in a very control fashion of course.

If you do have a bit more sample left, I would suggest 7g/90ml (the 7g is a traditional standard for competition ratio in Anxi) 190F/15s, 15s, boiling/20s and on. The extra 2g and hotter water might really do justice. Good Luck :D ~ T

Yes, this tea leaf looked exactly how I would expect TKY to look, although there were a few more torn leaves than I would expect in a fine tea, but certainly not enough to be considered low quality. Again, I am being nitpicky. However, if I had judged this tea purely by the appearance of the leaves, I would have pegged it as premium.

The hotter water definitely improves this tea. I think I have 6g left, which I will use entirely for my next session. Honestly, if it weren't for the price point, I probably wouldn't be scrutinizing it to this degree.

I have to admit having a laugh at myself regarding this. I feel a little bit like Frasier and Niles Crane trying to decide if the Grenache-Shiraz contains a 6% blend of Mourvedre, or 15%. :mrgreen:
Geekgirl

Postby chittychat » Jul 9th, '10, 02:28

TIM wrote:Yes, absolutely you are one lucky person indeed. As long as it's your cup of tea, and you enjoyed them, it's great tea to you.

But in TC, we try to help each others with facts, not Internet google kind of facts.

TiKwanYin plant is a varital, like yorkshire pig to pork. And de-steming is a traditional process in Anxi (where TGY processing originate). Then pass d on to Taiwan, where it's been further refined.

I

Well, the fact seems that we are apparently talking of 2 different kind of tea. Me of the original Tie Guan Yin now according to Tim fake imports from Taiwan and then the tea in the sample of the broader speaking term of Tie Guan Yin. Having always drunk those "fake" Taiwanese TGY I was naturally expecting another "fake" of the tea TGY I am used to.

That now to me clears the matter also thanks to google. :)

BTW Tim try the higher grade of TGY from Teaspring and find out if it is Mao Cha or a fake Taiwanese. :roll:
chittychat

Postby TIM » Jul 9th, '10, 10:16

chittychat wrote:Well, the fact seems that we are apparently talking of 2 different kind of tea. Me of the original Tie Guan Yin now according to Tim fake imports from Taiwan and then the tea in the sample of the broader speaking term of Tie Guan Yin. Having always drunk those "fake" Taiwanese TGY I was naturally expecting another "fake" of the tea TGY I am used to.

That now to me clears the matter also thanks to google. :)

BTW Tim try the higher grade of TGY from Teaspring and find out if it is Mao Cha or a fake Taiwanese. :roll:

Chittychat- Please don’t take me wrong, I am by no means trying to take advantage nor disrespect your TGY misconception. Just that you misjudged the Adagio's MS TGY in the first place: "I am quite confident by now that I did not receive a bad batch of Tie Guan Yin, instead what I got was no TGY at all...." Thats a bad Advice but Good Intention.

We, the true tea lovers here, have been through the same path: Misinformated, Misdirection from tea labels and non-passionate tea sellers, and Made-believes by looking at the tea leaves.... But the fun part is in the search that is important, not the goal.

Whether it’s 'Sliming Magic Wulong", or "Jessica Simpson's New Soul-Altering Ancient Pu er", it truly does not matter. You will keep climbing this tea ladder until the end, and each level will be another sky, or to me, another heaven. As long as you are being passionate with an open mind and enjoy finer things in life. :wink: Cheers ~ T

http://themandarinstea.blogspot.com/2010/03/brewing-light-tikwanyin-oolong-with.html
TIM
Vendor Member

Postby Victoria » Jul 10th, '10, 15:03

I just got a fresh sample of the Masters TKY. And I brewed up two identical batches, using this new sample and my previous 4oz tin. I brought out my gram scale and made absolutely sure every thing was even. I brewed in two identical pots and tried it from two matching cups. I found no difference.

So I really hate to guess at what may have happened, a mix up in one batch or whatever. But I am relieved that the Masters reserve has not been tainted.
Victoria

Postby rhondabee » Jul 10th, '10, 17:29

Oh gosh, I kind of regret using my description to describe the scent of the Masters TKY. I really didn't dislike the TKY - it was definitely a very full-bodied taste & scent, but it surprised me that it was so different than the Masters Alishan. I've been basically drinking Taiwanese green oolongs exclusively, so maybe that is why I felt the TKY was so different scent & taste-wise & why I couldn't smell the floral scent in it. Do you think there is a big difference in the scents of a green TKY & Taiwanese green oolongs, or should they be similar?

Anyway, I love sampling teas, and look forward to the next round.
rhondabee

Postby brian » Jul 10th, '10, 22:46

I got into my second of my OTTI Oolong today, Adagio Ali Shan. This is the "standard" ali shan, I also have a sample of the Masters Series tea that I'll try another time.

Measured out 4 g. into 150 ml. gaiwan. This is the first time I've brewed rolled oolong, it looked so tiny in the cup I was hoping it was enough. I was amazed to see it after it expanded, the gaiwan was full and there were some pretty big leaves and stems in there.

Used boiled water for every infusion, water boils a bit over 190F at my elevation. 60 s., 90 s., 2 min, 3 min, and then a few 5 min. infusions.

Aroma was lightly floral, but didn't strike me as flowery as I remember the Pouchong. First infusion flavor was light and floral, following infusions were more complex with a bit more oxidation character coming through. Middle infusions seemed nicely balanced, by the end the floral notes were gone and the tea was getting pretty weak.

I think I liked this a bit more than the Pouchong, there seemed to be a bit more to it, the Pouchong came across as pretty one-dimensional. Nice tea session this morning, pretty easy drinking and seems like a good warm-weather tea, fresh and light but with some character.
brian

Postby chittychat » Jul 10th, '10, 22:58

TIM wrote:Chittychat- Please don’t take me wrong, I am by no means trying to take advantage nor disrespect your TGY misconception.

I have no misconception about TGY at all. I was only not aware that unfortunately today the term can be used broadly to refer to the entire family of teas produced in southern Fujian. To me Tie Guan Yin tea is the original one (variety, place, process) which made it to list of the 10 most famous Chinese teas. Surely this Adagio TGY would never qualify.

May be there should be or is already a move in China to restore the honor of the real Tie Guan Yin tea.

I do as well respect you misconception about those "fake" Taiwanese imports. :wink:
chittychat

Postby Chip » Jul 11th, '10, 00:37

I think most Westerners would equate this as typical greener TKY in form, appearance. I think every greener TKY looked pretty much like this one.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby TIM » Jul 11th, '10, 02:55

Chip wrote:I think most Westerners would equate this as typical greener TKY in form, appearance. I think every greener TKY looked pretty much like this one.

+1 Chip. Most of the real Anxi light TKY only consists of a single leaf. Well... Beside those Cheap Chinese Grocery Store, Walmart style tea which most of us are not good at here. :lol:

http://theteagallery.blogspot.com/2010/07/afternoon-lift-rising-orchid.html
TIM
Vendor Member

Postby Seeker » Jul 21st, '10, 19:42

OMG!
I didn't realize it but I still have 3 Oo's I haven't tasted :oops: :oops: !
I am now extra sorry for my leakage yesterday. :?

Taking a stroll with the Ali Shan just now.
I like it!
Lovely, solid lilac aromas tinged with perhaps a hint of meyer lemon blossoms.
I've not had ali before, so no context with which to measure.
That said, "A".

Cheers.
Seeker

Postby Chip » Jul 21st, '10, 19:51

:mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Victoria » Jul 21st, '10, 19:56

Seeker wrote:OMG!
I didn't realize it but I still have 3 Oo's I haven't tasted :oops: :oops: !
I am now extra sorry for my leakage yesterday. :?

Taking a stroll with the Ali Shan just now.
I like it!
Lovely, solid lilac aromas tinged with perhaps a hint of meyer lemon blossoms.
I've not had ali before, so no context with which to measure.
That said, "A".

Cheers.

Hmmm maybe now you see why I don't make it to the matcha bowl
as often as I should.
Ha.
Victoria

Postby Seeker » Jul 21st, '10, 20:05

:lol:

:lol:
Seeker

Postby Chesslover » Jul 24th, '10, 06:51

I managed to try all the oolongs - so this is my list (first - best)
1. TKY (great taste, complex, sweet, delicate, rounded)
2. Bai Hao Hsinchu (I kind of disliked the taste of "dry plums", but otherwise I think this is great tea)
3. Pouchong (I prefered it over Ali Shan, maybe the reason was, that this tea was prepared with soft, filtered water and Ali Shan with tap water...both were similar to TKY, but lacked complexity and rounded taste)
4. Ali Shan
5. Huang Jin Bolero (this was my first oolong tea, so only after I tried other oolongs I realized it's quite mediocre...OK, to be honest I didn't like it from the begining...just not enough aroma/taste - it felt like supermarket tea from the bags)
Chesslover

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions