Jul 13th, '10, 18:49
Scrolling: scrolling

TC TA SO Round 2 "In Praise of Shadows" by ShyRabbit

by Chip » Jul 13th, '10, 18:49

Greetings and welcome to TeaChat TeawareArtisan SpecialOffer Round 2. The featured artisan is “ShyRabbit” who calls himself Michael Coffee in real life. This first post is general information about the works and the artisan.

The second post will feature the cups, and the third post will feature the Chawan/teabowls. The fourth post will include ordering info for this SO, etc.

Feel free to post in this topic and ask questions.

Michael has titled this SO, “In Praise of Shadows” and offers this explanation …
A few thoughts about the process of creating the works for my Special Offering to the TeaChat Community.

The pieces were Created, Bisqued Fired, Glazed and finally given over to the potential calamity of the violent inferno of the Kiln. All these steps come with a certain level of anticipation and forward visioning, even though I’ve spent decades practicing the discipline to not envision a specific result, it’s hard not too.

The Glaze Firing went well, and despite my attempts to suspend a vision of the work inside the kiln, I was viewing finished works in my head. Upon opening the long cooling kiln I was again, as always surprised. I had visions of pieces with a more “graphic” visual and tactile presence. The kiln had other “visions.”

The kiln’s “vision” was to cause a kind of “forced restraint” upon the work in this firing. I liked the works before me, still too hot to touch, I had time to think. I was being reminded of a valuable lesson as well as being reminded of a short book I read over 30 years ago on Aesthetics, “In Praise of Shadows.”

“In Praise of Shadows”, was written by Jun’ichiro Tanizaki and was originally published in 1933 in Japanese and later translated to English in 1977. The essay consists of 16 sections that discuss traditional Japanese aesthetics in contrast with change. Comparisons of light with darkness are used to contrast Western and Asian cultures.

The West, in its striving for progress, is presented as continuously searching for light and clarity, while the subtle and subdued forms of oriental art and literature are seen by Tanizaki to represent an appreciation of shadow and subtlety. In addition to contrasting light and dark, Tanizaki further considers the layered tones of various kinds of shadows and their power to reflect low sheen materials like gold embroidery, patina and cloudy crystals.

The works being offered here require close study to fully appreciate the depth of nuance in the glaze finish. They don’t shout their presence, they are comfortable in the realm of the intimate object.

A brief statement about our featured artisan in his own words …
I am an Architect, Ceramist, Printmaker and Art Educator, living and working in the beautiful San Juan Mountains of Southwest Colorado.

Art is my passion and the true backbone of my existence. I have worked extensively in all types of media, including painting, wood, metal, glass, architecture, ceramics and printmaking. I cannot lay claim to any particular style or genre, as I am primarily interested in nonlinear paths of development in the objects I make. Each step of the art making process is part of a personal inner journey. The common thread that stitches my work together is an overriding desire to be surprised by the outcome, as though I wasn’t present during the process.

For my ceramics I work with various high fire stoneware and porcelain clay bodies that I fire in my custom built gas reduction kilns. My glaze palette consists of various Shinos, Tenmokus, Celadons, Nukas, Chuns and Ash reduction fired glazes.

Jul 13th, '10, 19:11

Re: TC TA SO Round 2 "In Praise of Shadows" by ShyRabbit

by Chip » Jul 13th, '10, 19:11

OK, let's get to it, shall we?!? :mrgreen: This post will contain information regarding the SPECIAL VALUE ADDED ITEM that is included with each and every item purchased in this SO! Also, this post contains an amazing DRAWING ANNOUNCEMENT!!! You don't want to miss this SO!!!

(The following post contains info about the cups. Then the post after that, regarding the Chawan/teabowls! And then finally SO ordering information!)
Each Tea Cup and Tea Bowl will come with its own unique handbuilt stoneware footed DISPLAY STAND glazed with "San Juan Mountain Ponderosa Pine Ash," which were create exclusively for this SO.

My "4 Corners" Signature Chop" will be retired with this offering.
EDIT: The Display Stand is a 20 $ value! This is quite a nice value added item for TCers!

Here is a photo of the Display Stand ...
Drawing for participants! Each item purchased, during my SO (cups and chawan), will entitle the buyer to an opportunity to win a random drawing "raffle" for a Tenmoku and Nuka Tokkuri and Guinomi ("Private Sake Set") with FREE USPS Priority Mail shipping with Delivery Confirmation, created by me. FREE international shipping will be via USPS International Package. One buyer, purchasing three items, will result in 3 chances to win.
Members must make their purchase by 8/15/10. The drawing will be conducted by the artisan and the winner announced within 5 days of the contest close.

And here is the incredible prize, a beautiful sake set!

Jul 13th, '10, 19:46

by Chip » Jul 13th, '10, 19:46

This post contains information regarding the Special Offering "In praise of Shadows"CUPS available to members of TeaChat. Each cup purchased includes the special Display Stand and an entry in the drawing for the Sake Set. Also check out the Chawan in the next post!!!

I recommend looking at the photos a few times, it is amazing what you begin to see. I cannot wait to see them first hand ... in hand!
$32.00 + $8.00 USPS Priority Mail shipping with Delivery Confirmation ($4.00/ea. shipping on additional pieces.) If actual postage is less than the fees charged, the difference will be refunded to the buyer. International shipping will be quoted, at actual costs, at time of purchase. I prefer USPS International Package, this is the most economical method of shipping internationally, with delivery times of 5-7 Business Days. Sorry, Delivery Confirmation is not available with this shipping option.

Each Tea Cup and Tea Bowl will come with its own unique handbuilt stoneware footed display stand glazed with "San Juan Mountain Ponderosa Pine Ash," which were create exclusively for this SO.

EDIT: The Display Stand is a 20 $ value! This is quite a nice value added item for TCers!

CUP Dimensions (h x w)and Volumes are as follows:

c01 2-14" x 3-1/4" 150 ml
c02 2-3/8" x 3-1/8" 140 ml
c03 2-1/4" x 3-3/8" 150 ml
c04 2-1/8" x 3-1/8" 135 ml
c05 2-1/8" x 3" 125 ml
c06 2-1/8" x 3-1/8" 135 ml
c07 2" x 3-1/4" 105 ml
c08 1-7/8" x 3-1/8" 100 ml
c09 2" x 3-5/8" 135 ml
c10 2" x 3-1/2" 125 ml
c11 2" x 3-3/8" 115 ml
c12 2" x 3-5/8" 100 ml
c13 1-3/4 x 3-1/2" 105 ml
c14 1-3/4" x 3-1/2" 125 ml

You can view all the cups (and bowls) in my photobucket here: http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll60 ... %20Coffee/

I will include at least one photo of each cup in this post.

EDIT 7/31/10: Works below are still available! Remember to check out the great selection of Chawan-s in the NEXT post as well!!!

OK, one cup left!

C08

Jul 13th, '10, 20:13

by Chip » Jul 13th, '10, 20:13

This post contains information regarding the Special Offering "In Praise of Shadows" Chawan/Teabowls available to members of TeaChat. Each cup purchased includes the special Display Stand and an entry in the drawing for the Sake Set.

I recommend looking at the photos a few times, it is amazing what you begin to see. I cannot wait to see them first hand ... in hand!
$69.00 (a rollback to my old price) + $10.00 USPS Priority Mail shipping with Delivery Confirmation ($5.00/ea. shipping on additional pieces.) If actual postage is less than the fees charged, the difference will be refunded to the buyer. International shipping will be quoted, at actual costs, at time of purchase. I prefer USPS International Package, this is the most economical method of shipping internationally, with delivery times of 5-7 Business Days. Sorry Delivery Confirmation is not available with this shipping option.

Each Tea Cup and Tea Bowl will come with its own unique handbuilt stoneware footed display stand glazed with "San Juan Mountain Ponderosa Pine Ash," which were create exclusively for this SO.

Dimensions (h x w) for all 12 Chawan/Tea Bowls are as follows:

t01 2-3/4" x 5-1/4"
t02 3" x 5-1/2"
t03 3-1/8" x 5"
t04 3" x 5-1/2"
t05 2-7/8" x 5"
t06 3" x 5-3/8"
t07 3" x 5-1/8"
t08 2-3/4" x 5"
t09 2-1/2" x 5-3/4"
t10 2-3/4" x 5-1/2"
t11 2-3/4" x 5-3/8"
t12 2-3/4" x 5-3/8"

You can view all the bowls (and cups) in my photobucket here: http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll60 ... %20Coffee/

I will include at least one photo of each bowl in this post.

EDIT: Works below are still available!

T01

T07

T08

T10

T11

Jul 13th, '10, 20:20

by Chip » Jul 13th, '10, 20:20

So, there you go. I recommend looking a few times as these tend to whisper over and over to you, and become more and more endearing each time as well!

To order, PM your selections to me, including 2 alternates. I will do my very bestest to grant your first wishes! If ordering more than one item, be sure to specify how many items you are ordering!

Include your paypal email address, and your full name and address for confirmation ... include shipping address if different.

That is it, pretty simple, right. Michael will in turn email you for payment.

Jul 13th, '10, 21:16

by Geekgirl » Jul 13th, '10, 21:16

Would it be possible to get some approximate weights on the chawan?

Jul 13th, '10, 21:21

by Chip » Jul 13th, '10, 21:21

Geekgirl wrote:Would it be possible to get some approximate weights on the chawan?
Let's ask the Artisan, care to chime in Michael?

Jul 13th, '10, 21:27

by shyrabbit » Jul 13th, '10, 21:27

Geekgirl and Chip,
Not at the studio, but I would guess the Chawan range from 14 oz. to 1#-3 oz. I can post the exact weights in the morning if you would like. Just let me know.
Thanks for your interest,
Michael

Jul 13th, '10, 21:38

by Chip » Jul 13th, '10, 21:38

BTW, I neglected to post this, but will add it to the post, the Display Stand is a 20 $ value! This is quite a nice value added item for TCers!

Thank you Michael for all your hard work in this SO!!!

Jul 13th, '10, 23:38

by shyrabbit » Jul 13th, '10, 23:38

Chip,
I am honored to participate, thank you for this opportunity and for all you have done to make this happen. I would also like to thank you, generally, for all you do for the TeaChat community. Your efforts are the rarest of the rare.
Michael

Jul 14th, '10, 15:24

by Chip » Jul 14th, '10, 15:24

Thank you for the kind words, Michael, and good luck with this SO!

Jul 15th, '10, 13:28

by Chip » Jul 15th, '10, 13:28

OK, there are still some beauties left, 4 cups and 6 chawan!

Remember, each item purchased enters you in the drawing for the incredible Sake Set also created and donated by ShyRabbit. :mrgreen:

Also each piece includes a special display stand. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jul 15th, '10, 21:21

by Chip » Jul 15th, '10, 21:21

... update, 5 chawan and 4 cups remain available.

Be sure to choose from this topic versus my photobucket since the photobucket is not as up to date on what is available.

Jul 16th, '10, 14:38

by Marco » Jul 16th, '10, 14:38

WOW - I am sitting here with open mouth and admiring the cups. Really great ShyRabbit!

Jul 16th, '10, 17:01

by Chip » Jul 16th, '10, 17:01

Marco wrote:WOW - I am sitting here with open mouth and admiring the cups. Really great ShyRabbit!
*hoping one will be enroute to Austria verrrry soon!* :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply