Milk Oolong (jin xuan) what say you?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jul 16th, '10, 22:08

Milk Oolong (jin xuan) what say you?

by chef07172 » Jul 16th, '10, 22:08

just curious what everyone feels about this oolong. I really enjoyed the sample I had and am thinking of purchasing some more.

Jul 16th, '10, 23:48
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Milk Oolong (jin xuan) what say you?

by Victoria » Jul 16th, '10, 23:48

You know I really liked that one for awhile.
Then all of a sudden, it made me nauseous.
I have never had that with tea, very strange.

So enjoy, maybe you will have a better
time with it in the long run.

Jul 17th, '10, 01:14

by Tead Off » Jul 17th, '10, 01:14

chef07172 wrote:just curious what everyone feels about this oolong. I really enjoyed the sample I had and am thinking of purchasing some more.
Jin Xuan=Golden Lily can be very good. IMO, quality varies greatly. Teafromtaiwan.com has some but I haven't tried any of theirs. Oolong-tea.org has a gold medal winner but you have to buy 600g! They do have some others that might be good. The best one I've had came from them but it was a gift and it was some time ago.

Jul 17th, '10, 05:49

by pimli » Jul 17th, '10, 05:49

I quite enjoy my Jin Xuan from Floating Leaves Tea, especially with breakfast. When I have someone over and share this they are usually surprised when they find out it is "just tea" (no milk or sugar). Thankfully have not tired of it yet.

Jul 17th, '10, 16:57

by rhondabee » Jul 17th, '10, 16:57

I also had Jin Xuan from Floating Tea Leaves last year. I found it to be a very mellow, smooth tea, and yes it had kind of a milky scent to it. I would buy it again.

Jul 19th, '10, 20:40
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Jul 19th, '10, 20:40

Jin Xuan is actually just a cultivar, so there's plenty of variety.

The "milk tea," from my understanding, happens from a cold snap at high altitude, but under more normal circumstances it has a little more of what you might be used to from a high-mountain wulong from Taiwan, although it still has much more of the amino acid smell and taste (i.e., it's still milky/buttery, but has a bit more of the leafy green and a slight floral aroma go to with it).

Of course, like all teas, the "milk tea" comes in a variety of levels of quality. Some will be genuine, "good" stuff ("good" depends on whether you like it or not), and then there's the cheap crap that's scented/flavored.

If you're tired of the "milk oolong" then you can try some of the other Jin Xuan wulong that's available -- zen8tea has plenty of stuff on the high-mid level of machine harvested wulong.

Jul 20th, '10, 12:50

by Tea_Rex » Jul 20th, '10, 12:50

On Sunday a friend (who is new to tea) and I visited Aroma Tea Shop in San Francisco where we drank many different kinds of tea. My friend usually describes oolongs as "too barky", but she loved the Supreme Taiwan Jin Xuan. It was rich, "thick", and "milky". In fact, he had a number of very nice oolongs, and I spent way too much money there. I also got the milk oolong sampler from Tea from Taiwan a few weeks ago, and the two unflavored ones were good, though not as good as the one from Aroma Tea. I like milk oolong after a meal, sort of like dessert.

+ Post Reply