OTTI 2010 Round 4 Shincha Encore!

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 2010 Round 4 Shincha Encore!

Postby Chip » Jul 18th, '10, 23:13

OK, listen up participants! Each tea sample has a number on it. Here is the key:

From RishiTea:

1. Supreme Shizuoka First Flush Kukicha. Looks like a very nice kukicha selection. And it is Shincha of course.
http://www.rishi-tea.com/store/supreme-shizuoka-first-flush-kukicha-japanese-green-tea.html

2. Nishi First Flush Sencha, Organic Japanese Green Tea. From Nishi-san's tea farms, a blend of varietals in asamushi/light steamed style. From Kagoshima prefecture.
http://www.rishi-tea.com/store/nishi-First-flush-sencha-organic-japanese-green-tea.html

3. Kagoshima Shincha Sae Midori, Japanese Green Tea also from Nishi-san's farms. Chumushi/mid steamed from Kagoshima prefecture. .
http://www.rishi-tea.com/store/kagoshima-shincha-sae-midori-japanese-green-tea.html

From Zencha:

4. Shincha Takumi from Yame prefecture is made from Gokoh or Gokou leaf which is a varietal used for making Gyokuro (Yame is known for making Gyokuro). However this selection is grown as a sencha! http://www.zencha.net/products_yame_shincha.php

5. Shincha Moe is an interesting selection also from Yame prefecture. http://www.zencha.net/products_yame_shincha.php
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Jul 18th, '10, 23:19

OTTI Round 4 Shincha Encore! Some of these I never tried before ... so we learn and experiment together!!! And of course with each new harvest, it is a whole new ball game!

There are 6 samples,all 5 are Shincha plus a bonus shincha selection. Each sample contains 8 grams of leaf, so if you use half for each session, that is 4 grams. I am offering the leaf ratio I used for each, however you can adjust according to your tastes. Links for each tea are located under OTTI Round 4 on the forum.

Bonus tea. The bonus tea is Maeda-en's Super Premium Shincha, and everyone received 4 grams of this bonus sample.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Jul 18th, '10, 23:48

Brewing vessels. If you have a kyusu, great! Remember for Fukamushi, more careful pouring is required in order to prevent too much particle from passing through or clogging the screen altogether.

If you do not have a kyusu. If you use an infuser basket, for the fukamushi I recommend doing things a bit backwards. Put the leaf in the infuser, water in the pot, then set the infuser into the water. Otherwise too much particle will pass through the infuser or it may get really clogged up.

How much. If you have been on TC long enough, you have likely heard the term ratio used in determining how much leaf to use. A ratio is simply general or preferred strength that allows increasing and decreasing of either leaf weight or volume water while keeping the strength steady.
Generally, the longer you have been drinking sencha, the higher leaf ratio you will use. Newer to sencha, you will generally use lower ratios as your tastes have not fully adjusted to sencha.

Your leaf ratio is calculated X grams leaf : Y ounces water. If you fill in the grams at 4, you can adjust the amount of water to find your ratio. Or you can fill in a value for the water and adjust the amount of leaf. I am suggesting using 4 grams leaf for each session and adjusting the amount of water. And I offer corresponding amounts of water below based on using 4 grams, rounded off. This will also give you 2 full sessions, just use half each time.

1:1 4 grams : 4ounces water
0.9:1 4 : 4.5
0.8:1 4 : 5
0.7:1 4 : 5.5
0.6:1 4 : 6.5

Just about any Shincha, I will first try at a ratio I somehow intuitively come up with … then adjust with future sessions. Below are my somewhat adjust ratios for each tea. Again if you are newer to sencha, you might want to adjust down a bit, but that is up to you! Based on the ratio, you can plug in the values listed above, or create your own.

Temperatures! This is so subjective. I thought I heard everything, then the owner of O-Cha posted even lower temps on TC. Zencha lists crazy low temps for the best sencha. Well, I have not tried those yet.

There are differing temps based upon whether one preheats the kyusu (teapot) or not. Basically if you do not preheat your pot, the temp you use should be approx 15* F hotter due to rapid drop in temps. Lately I have been preheating the pot, but I go back and forth periodically.

If you preheat, smell the warming leaf in the pot, mind blowing!

I will list in order from the OTTI topic.

Rishi Shincha Kukicha can be approached casually, but I recommend paying attention for this tasting. 1:1, 170** in a preheated kyusu, 1 min

Rishi Nishi Organic. .9:1, 158* in a preheated kyusu, 60 seconds

Rishi Sae Midori 1:1, 158* in a preheated kyusu, 60 sec

Zencha Takumi 1:1 150* in a preheated kyusu, 60 or so seconds

Zencha Moe 1:1, 165* in a preheated kyusu, 40-60 seconds

Bonus, Maeda-en's Super Premium Shincha 1:1, 160* in a preheated kyusu, 40-60 seconds

Problems:

Too intense, decrease leaf.

Too bitter, decrease temp and/or time. Cooler water makes for a less aromatic but sweeter cup.

Multiple steeps. Absolutely! A good rule of thumb for me …
2nd 165*, 20-30 sec
3rd 175*, 60 sec
4th 185* 60-120 sec
5th boiling, 1-infinity … there is nothing left to make your brew bitter. Just mellow, sweet tea water.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Jul 18th, '10, 23:52

Oh, and most importantly, enjoy and have fun!

Please remember to post your thoughts, questions, reviews of these teas! You can post them here and also in the official Green Tea forum shincha topic as well as the appropriate TeaVendor topics!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Jul 18th, '10, 23:57

All the above information is also now posted in the OP for this topic. This will make finding brewing directions, etc very easy to find.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby woozl » Jul 19th, '10, 12:49

Just got my tea.
I started with the kukicha.
briney sea aromas, nori
buttery mouth feel, round umami.
woozl likes his first kukicha. :mrgreen:
woozl

Postby Mrs. Chip » Jul 19th, '10, 12:53

woozl wrote:Just got my tea.
I started with the kukicha.
briney sea aromas, nori
buttery mouth feel, round umami.
woozl likes his first kukicha. :mrgreen:

+1 woozl!!! Yeah, I like the 'nori' too! Thanks for the report.
Mrs. Chip

Postby bsteele » Jul 19th, '10, 16:39

Success! Got mine in the mail today too. Haven't even opened it yet, but will report back once I have.

Edit: Oh my, how illegal looking! Image

bsteele

Postby laura99 » Jul 19th, '10, 20:07

Yea! The mailman brought tea today! Looking forward to the sampling.
laura99

Postby Chip » Jul 20th, '10, 00:12

Excellent, let the tastings begin! Thank you bsteele for assuring recipients that there is indeed green leaves enclosed. :twisted:

Remember to post your impressions, reviews, photos! :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Proinsias » Jul 20th, '10, 08:07

Shincha in the house!

Looks to be an interesting selection. I've never had kukicha before either, this will be remedied today. Keen to see what shincha from gyo plants is like.

Cheers Mr.Chip
Proinsias

Postby Proinsias » Jul 20th, '10, 09:51

Big day today, after years of resisting I walked down to the greenhouse, removed the thermometer and actually used it to measure the temp of the water! I even found the stopwatch on my mobile phone.

so

drinking my first temp measured and timed cup of tea. It's kukicha. It's lovely. Not overly complex but nice and refreshing. I had a few too many glasses of wine last night, I'm off work and my daughter is on holiday, this is the perfect lazy afternoon drink with some raspberries from the garden.

Something with a little more depth, and far more umami, will be needed for later.
Proinsias

Postby Chip » Jul 20th, '10, 10:03

:lol: Now that is a thermometer!!!!!

Kukicha is what I like to call a "fun tea." You can really do it however you want, and it will come out nice. It is great for home blending and roasting as well.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Proinsias » Jul 20th, '10, 10:08

It came with the house, it could well be older than me.
Proinsias

Postby Mrs. Chip » Jul 20th, '10, 10:10

Great photo Proinsias, love the simplicity.

And if I may ask, what type of wine? :)
Mrs. Chip

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions