nauseous??

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Jul 26th, '10, 04:58

nauseous??

by xdunlapx » Jul 26th, '10, 04:58

Can drinking a lot of tea make you nauseous? I've probably had 10 cups of tea today (replacing diet coke with tea... I have a diet coke habit that needs stopped) and all of a sudden I got nauseous. I've had plenty to eat today so my stomach is not empty or shouldn't be. This happened last night, too. I'm used to high amounts of caffeine since I drink like a 12 pack or more of diet coke a day so I don't think it's the tea but I can't be sure. Oh I might have to go to the bathroom... Ugh.

I've been drinking Tazo Organic Chai all day with a few diet cokes thrown in the mix. Could it be the caffeine or is it something else?

Jul 26th, '10, 05:27

Re: nauseous??

by xdunlapx » Jul 26th, '10, 05:27

Ok I ate something and I'm feeling better. No clue what brought that on last night and today. Maybe it's the spices in the tea? It *is* chai after all. And I'm not yet used to drinking so much of it during the day. I'm brand new to tea drinking, I only started so I could quit drinking diet coke as my habit was getting way out of control and not to mention the cost of it was putting my parents out of business, so to say. I'm 26 and live with my parents due to medical problems, I can't work so I've got to cut costs where I can. Tea is a nice alternative.

Jul 26th, '10, 07:20

by Katy1977 » Jul 26th, '10, 07:20

You went from drinking a lot of soda to a lot of tea which you're not used to. Maybe you brewed it too bitter which I think could make you feel nauseous or maybe it was the spices. You could cut back on the amount of tea for now and ease it into your diet, or try plain black tea to see if that helps. Remember, everything in moderation lol :)

Katy1977

Jul 26th, '10, 09:09

by geeber1 » Jul 26th, '10, 09:09

Wow, you did drink a lot of tea! It would probably be hard on your stomach if you haven't eaten.

Also, I have found that Assam teas tend to make me nauseous, and your Chai mixture is probably made using an Assam. You could try switching to another neutral variety of tea such as Ceylon for a while and see if this makes a difference.

Jul 26th, '10, 09:59

by TwoPynts » Jul 26th, '10, 09:59

All that, and suddenly cutting back on all that caffeine could cause a bit of nausea as well. Tea doesn't have as much as all of those diet cokes! :wink:

Jul 26th, '10, 11:39

by xdunlapx » Jul 26th, '10, 11:39

LOL yeah I think I over did it yesterday and last night with the chai. I figured it out's probably the amount of spices that I'm getting with the chai that is irritating my old ulcer. I had thought it was healed but apparently it's not fully gone. I take nexium for it and have for a year. So that's probably what it was because after I ate it felt a bit better, twice it happened today.

Jul 27th, '10, 22:20

by Shihali » Jul 27th, '10, 22:20

TwoPynts wrote:All that, and suddenly cutting back on all that caffeine could cause a bit of nausea as well. Tea doesn't have as much as all of those diet cokes! :wink:
You'd be surprised! Grocery store grade black tea is claimed to have 60 mg of caffeine per 8 oz, while Diet Coke has 45 mg per 12 oz. Caffeine amounts for tea are notoriously inaccurate, but switching from cola to black tea while keeping volume intact would probably increase caffeine intake. Which also causes nausea.

Jul 27th, '10, 22:47
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Jul 27th, '10, 22:47

Drinking a lot of tea can make you feel bad.

Good tea can be infused many times. It takes my brother in law about five minutes to drink 5-7 grams of coffee. If I take out 7g of good tea I'm going for a few hours, if not days.

If you've been drinking 12+ diet cokes a day you're going to feel shit no matter what you drink in place of it for a while.

Maybe try water instead of tea? if you still don't feel good you can blame it on the coke.

Jul 27th, '10, 23:46

by xdunlapx » Jul 27th, '10, 23:46

I have been feeling fine all throughout the day except for some sick tummy feelings late at night and early in the morning (same time-frame). I've had less tea today and so far so good. I think it was just all the caffeine. I switched to decaf for a while and did not have any problems. I'm back to non-decaf and doing fine but I'll post back in the morning, if I'm up all night again and if I have the problem again. Probably just too much caffeine.

I wish there was some kind of estimate on the teabag pouches or box that estimated the amount of caffeine in the teabag. I know it varies in how long you steep it but it since it lists how long to steep it, EG: 1-2 minutes, it could say EG: 40-50mg caffeine. Just a thought.

Jul 28th, '10, 00:01

by TwoPynts » Jul 28th, '10, 00:01

Shihali wrote:...Caffeine amounts for tea are notoriously inaccurate, but switching from cola to black tea while keeping volume intact would probably increase caffeine intake. Which also causes nausea.
I stand corrected! :)

Jul 28th, '10, 07:57

by Katy1977 » Jul 28th, '10, 07:57

xdunlapx, you should look into apple cider vinegar therapy for your ulcers, nexium is not supposed to be taken long term, although some doctors will say it's okay. Just my 2 cents here. :)

Katy1977

Jul 28th, '10, 09:23

by TwoPynts » Jul 28th, '10, 09:23

For ulcers, I also suggest drinking some Aloe juice twice daily. Not always tasty, but it I'm a believer in it.

Jul 28th, '10, 12:06
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 28th, '10, 12:06

TwoPynts wrote:For ulcers, I also suggest drinking some Aloe juice twice daily. Not always tasty, but it I'm a believer in it.
I actually did this for a short period of time and it really did seem to help for helping my stomach/esophogus issues related to ARD. I used actual aloe extract (not juice) from a health/natural food store.

Jul 28th, '10, 12:28

by TwoPynts » Jul 28th, '10, 12:28

Yeah, aloe is wonderful. I get the gallon juices from a local grocer because of cost, but they probably are almost as effective as the health food store extracts, have added herbs, and are bit easier to drink. Mixed with a little juice it goes down just fine. I tried tasting raw aloe gel from my garden once, that was a scary experience. :lol:

Jul 31st, '10, 14:17

by Alucard » Jul 31st, '10, 14:17

if it's any consolation i can not drink black tea in the mornings i feel very nauseous and feel the need to lay down for a bit. This even happens if i do eat something first. So, i no longer drink tea in the morning and stick to coffee. In the afternoon and evenings i've had up to 5-6 4oz cups of tea without any problems.

You did have a bad diet coke habit, your body is probably adjusting to not receiving the chemicals in the soda which should even out it time.

+ Post Reply