what is your Thai Iced Tea recipe?

These teas can resemble virtually any flavor imaginable.

Jul 8th, '10, 18:52

what is your Thai Iced Tea recipe?

by babybanana » Jul 8th, '10, 18:52

I've used search function:

http://www.teachat.com/search.php?keywo ... mit=Search

but nothing was really helpful... anyone care to share or elaborate how to make this drink?

Thanks!

Jul 14th, '10, 15:39
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: what is your Thai Iced Tea recipe?

by Chip » Jul 14th, '10, 15:39

Never heard of it. Where have you seen it?

Jul 15th, '10, 15:30

by TwoPynts » Jul 15th, '10, 15:30

A local restaurant makes a pretty good one (5Spice) and here is a recipe from Emeril - BAM! :lol:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emer ... index.html

Aug 5th, '10, 15:10

by TeaHoney » Aug 5th, '10, 15:10

There is this box you can pick up at Cost Plus World Market for Thai Iced Tea. Its really good. Basically, you just put this mix into your glass filled with ice and pour hot water over it and its done. It reminds me of the Thai Iced Tea I've had at this local Thai restaurant called Urban Thai.

Aug 13th, '10, 04:27

by aya_s » Aug 13th, '10, 04:27

Some Asian grocers stock the tea itself. It's not high quality- fannings basically. Brew and add sugar and creamer of your choice. I have tried coconut milk, half and half, whole milk and soy milk but my husband swears it doesn't taste the same as the restaurant.

Course he also says that about the sweet tea I brew for him, probably because it isn't made with a Liptons tea bag. Yeesh, some people. ;)

Sep 11th, '10, 10:04

by Komsip » Sep 11th, '10, 10:04

Goes something like this when i make it:
Boil up this:
Cheap black tea (Ceylon or some Kenyan cheap tea)
Put in some star anise, very tiny piece of cinnamon and vanilla.
Overbrew it to make it really strong, stronger than what would be pleasant to drink directly.
Then chill it and if you want add some orange coloring for presentation.
Pour in a tall glass then fill it up with crushed ice. Then add some condensed milk and cream. Drink with straw.

The star anise flavor is the main thing though that makes it taste that special way that thai ice tea tastes like.

Sep 13th, '10, 14:52

by britt » Sep 13th, '10, 14:52

The Thai iced tea I've had was actually an orange color. I believe they just added the Asian version of sweetened condensed milk to the glass of ice and then poured in the tea. I've had it at several Thai retaraunts and it is very good. I think the sweetened condensed milk is the same as they use in Vietnamese coffee.

Sep 14th, '10, 04:36

by Komsip » Sep 14th, '10, 04:36

britt wrote:The Thai iced tea I've had was actually an orange color. I believe they just added the Asian version of sweetened condensed milk to the glass of ice and then poured in the tea. I've had it at several Thai retaraunts and it is very good. I think the sweetened condensed milk is the same as they use in Vietnamese coffee.
Yes it's a very thick type usually containing a lot of added vegetable fat to make it stay thick and not spread out into the tea/coffee too much. Also it's more yellow than western/middle east type of condensed milk.

Often the tea is artificially coloured but not always. In Thailand many people seem to believe that the tea is a special thai variety that has that strong red colour by nature. There are of course no such red-orange-leaf-teas, but many believe in it even if you point that out hehe...

Sep 14th, '10, 10:40
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Sep 14th, '10, 10:40

BTW, I have moved this to Flavored, etc. There is a shadow topic under Black for a short time.

+ Post Reply