Temperature Control?

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Jul 4th, '06, 02:32

Temperature Control?

by sickofallteapuns » Jul 4th, '06, 02:32

Hey all, I just tried my first white tea tonight and it was very very nice. I just had some questions about temperature before I bought some of my own. Is there a standard set of guidelines for the temperature control of white teas, or is it just different for every variation. Also, does anyone use any sort of neat gadget for temperature control or is it all thermometer and air-blowing. And I've read both that the cup should be warmed and cooled before pouring. Does it matter for white tea? Thanks so much,
Matthew

Jul 17th, '06, 00:40

by TeaFanatic » Jul 17th, '06, 00:40

Good questions, and welcome to the world of white tea!!! To start off, there are no set temperature guides to white teas. Most steep within the range of 150-180 degrees, but it varies by type, so you will have to experiment a little.

As far as neat gadgets, I use adagio's utilitea:

http://www.adagio.com/teaware/utiliTEA_ ... 6327fcbfdf

It does all temperatures from 140-212. You will have to use a thermometer once to detemine where the different temperaures are, but once you do that, you will be set for life.

Adagio is also coming out with a new trinitea soon:

http://www.adagio.com/teaware/triniTEA. ... 6327fcbfdf

The new trinitea will feature variable temperature controls and it will be an all in one tea maker.

Hope this helps.
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

Dec 16th, '06, 16:42

by Scape » Dec 16th, '06, 16:42

Hello, im new here too, but i realy love teas, today like 3h before i drank my first white tea, i dont realy know if it was the efect but i felt realy weird some minutes after drinking the tea. But i liked it.

Dec 29th, '06, 00:30

by kissmyhuman » Dec 29th, '06, 00:30

I like steeping it a little cooler for a little longer. 150 at 2 mins works for me for a first infusion, but it really depends on which tea you're buying. Experimenting is half the fun when buying a new tea as different times and temps can bring out different taste characteristics.

Jun 30th, '07, 10:43

temp/white tea

by teanow » Jun 30th, '07, 10:43

I too love Adagio's utilitea....had to purchase one for my mom and daughter, and a friend. However, every time I try to buy another one, the site says it is unabailable. Does anyone know when it is available. Also, there was a posting on Jan. 06 saying they are coming out wth a trinitea.....also variable temp control. Has anywone heard about this?

I cannot find another variable temp control pot anywhere. And is is essential white tea brewed at the lower temp. If it is too hot, it will be scortched, and you will get that burnt taste.

At work, I use the electric coffee pot. I put a rounded tablespoon of loose white tea in a large tea sack & set it in the pot (unfortunately, adaigo does not offer this size) and run the water through...it makes a whole pot. It can sit all day, and does not get bitter. And I often run a second brew.

Since white tea has more antioxidants than other true teas, I will often mix the white with another green....and this also works well in the coffee pot.

Jul 2nd, '07, 08:14

by teaspoon » Jul 2nd, '07, 08:14

That's a clever way of doing it, I wouldn't have thought of using a coffee pot like that. Though I suppose that's just because I've always had a Sunbeam Hot Shot in my dorm and now my office.

~tsp
"My sister and I have this wish before we die...
Tea in the Sahara with you."
~The Police, "Tea in the Sahara"

I am the size of 1 tsp.

+ Post Reply