Zealong - New Zealand Oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Aug 6th, '10, 16:40
Scrolling: scrolling

Zealong - New Zealand Oolong

by Victoria » Aug 6th, '10, 16:40

TokyoB and I decided to check out New Zealong Oolong and see what it was all about!

https://www.zealong.com/index/flash

There is A LOT of packaging!
1. A beautiful outer flip-top box with foam insert
2. Large Tea Tin
3. Vacuum sealed inner bag with ziplock
4. Large glossy booklet
5. Small informational insert

Ok, well this morning I had this tea for the second time. My thoughts are that it's "ok" . The first time I tried it, I thought it was a bit flat tasting. Funny because all the other elements are there for a great cuppa. The aroma is great as well as the appearance. Both very typical of a nice gaoshan. Even the brew color, a nice sparkling, clean, bright yellow.

This morning I brewed at work and enlisted the opinion of my co-worker who has been enjoying many different oolongs with me and is getting a more refined palate for greener oolongs. The first taste surprised me as wow, it did seem much better than I remembered. As the tea cooled slightly the flavor diminished and seemed flat again. My co-worked agreed, the hotter the better on this one, as the tea cools the flatness appears.

So my final thoughts are that I would not buy it again, as I enjoy my Taiwanese oolongs. But as with all new teas, I was very excited to have the opportunity to try this one.

Thanks to TokyoB for sharing with me and graciously sending all the packaging and materials so I could get the full effect.

Aug 6th, '10, 17:25

Re: Zealong - New Zealand Oolong

by TwoPynts » Aug 6th, '10, 17:25

Great review Victoria, thanks!

Aug 6th, '10, 20:22

by TokyoB » Aug 6th, '10, 20:22

Nice photos Victoria - well done. While I have only had the tea a couple of times I have to agree with you on the review. Although this looks and smells like a typical high-quality gaoshan cha from Taiwan, it is lacking in depth. It isn't bad mind you but it is lacking in some respect that I find a bit difficult to put my finger on. I believe this tea was not grown at a high altitude at all and perhaps that is the most significant factor, or at least one of them.
It was an interesting tea to try nonetheless.

Aug 6th, '10, 21:39

by debunix » Aug 6th, '10, 21:39

Great review. I'd checked out their site recently and the very high price and shipping costs gave me pause. I wouldn't want to go through with it unless it was at least as special as that Hawaiian oolong (which I will be ordering eventually).

Aug 7th, '10, 15:03

by guitar9876 » Aug 7th, '10, 15:03

Thanks for the review! That's a really beautiful cup by the way. :D

Aug 7th, '10, 15:07

by chicagopotter » Aug 7th, '10, 15:07

It is now available domestically from at least one vendor that I know of: http://www.chicagoteagarden.com/buy/ool ... along-pure.

Aug 7th, '10, 15:21
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Aug 7th, '10, 15:21

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for posting the link chicagopotter.

guitar9876 - that cup is still available at Artistic Nippon. :wink:

I wanted to add that this was the Pure Oolong, unroasted. There are two other choices:

Zealong Aromatic - "These leaves are roasted at high temperatures for a clear aroma and taste, with a hint of fruit and flowers."

Zealong Dark - "Repeated roasting gives these leaves a rich, deep taste, with a hint of charcoal on the nose and no bitterness."

+ Post Reply