That's why you watch your tea supplies

For general/other topics related to tea.

Aug 18th, '10, 11:27

That's why you watch your tea supplies

by Crafty_Mom » Aug 18th, '10, 11:27

A few weeks ago, I accidentally ran out of my favorite teas. I didn't mean to, but it had been a very busy time and I had been called out of state unexpectedly. Anyway, on my return, I was completely out and ordered more. Meanwhile, what was I to drink? I did have some white silver needles, but I really like black tea in the morning.

I remembered that I had ordered from Teavana's website before I knew better. There were several SEALED packages sitting in my cabinet that I saved in case of emergency. This kind of emergency, to be exact. They wouldn't let me return them, anyway. I tried.

With sadness and dread, I opened one of the packages of English Breakfast (if you can really call it that). I brewed my tea and to my horror...

It had gone bad in the sealed bag. :x Couldn't finish one cup.

Aug 18th, '10, 12:03

Re: That's why you watch your tea supplies

by debunix » Aug 18th, '10, 12:03

(virtual pat, pat, pat to you)

Aug 18th, '10, 12:04
Vendor Member

by IPT » Aug 18th, '10, 12:04

I've run into this more times than I wish to think about. I now date all my bags and weekly go through my tea freezer to make sure that I get rid of old stuff and that I don't let good tea sit alone and ignored.

Aug 18th, '10, 12:10

by Crafty_Mom » Aug 18th, '10, 12:10

I was just shocked that it had gone bad in a sealed bag. It wasn't like I opened it. It came sealed and remained sealed. It wasn't like it was sitting there for years.

And the best part of the story is that when I ordered my tea from my shop of choice, I received an e-mail that they were in the middle of moving and there would be a delay. They had it on the front page of their site but I just didn't notice it. I was kind of focused.

So, 1 week delay + 1 week to get clear across the country + nothing to drink meanwhile but Teavana and Liptons = one pretty cranky Crafty.

Aug 18th, '10, 12:46
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 18th, '10, 12:46

Crafty_Mom wrote:With sadness and dread, I opened one of the packages of English Breakfast (if you can really call it that). I brewed my tea and to my horror... It had gone bad in the sealed bag. :x Couldn't finish one cup.
Pretty bad if a black had gone south ... that is pretty hard to do for a blend like E.B. EB should remain drinkable for a few years.

Not sure what is in their EB, but it should consist largely of Chinese Keemun(s), this is traditional. My guess is that they have blended much cheaper teas to the mix in order to increase profit margins.

During times of low supplies of my personal faves, I really manage to go through samples and teas that I had been putting off, often finding some jewels.

Aug 18th, '10, 13:49

by Crafty_Mom » Aug 18th, '10, 13:49

Well, Chip, here's what the label says:
Black Tea
English High Grown/English Breakfast
Ingredients: Black Tea
On their website it was listed as
English Breakfast (High Grown) Black Tea
with an ingredient listing of:
high-grown Assam, Nilgiri, and Ceylon black teas
Of course, like you, I don't believe for one second they are putting quality tea in this. You may not recall, but when I first came here it was to find out if something was seriously wrong with this tea, as it was full of STEMS.

But there is a happy ending to this little tale. One of Mr. Crafty's friends started his own tea journey not too long ago. We gave him the offending package that he will know why you don't buy from Teavana.

Aug 18th, '10, 14:30
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 18th, '10, 14:30

I had always read that EB was to be Chinese Keemun based, while Irish Breakfast was to be Assam based ... this is going back to the Yankee clipper days.

That was before Teavana decided to enlighten wallets, not minds.

So much for following tradition in traditionally named blends. I know all about propriatary blending blah blah blah. I just think if you are doing a tradtionally named blend, at least some attempt should be made to follow the traditions.

Aug 18th, '10, 14:56

by Crafty_Mom » Aug 18th, '10, 14:56

Chip wrote:I had always read that EB was to be Chinese Keemun based, while Irish Breakfast was to be Assam based ... this is going back to the Yankee clipper days.

That was before Teavana decided to enlighten wallets, not minds.

So much for following tradition in traditionally named blends. I know all about propriatary blending blah blah blah. I just think if you are doing a tradtionally named blend, at least some attempt should be made to follow the traditions.
Agreed and seconded.

Aug 18th, '10, 15:05

by entropyembrace » Aug 18th, '10, 15:05

I ran out of my favourites before my sencha started arriving...I finished off some old jasmine green, earl grey and houjicha I had sitting around. The jasmine green was the only on that had changed much. They were drinkable but not very good...same as they were before which is why they were sitting around. :?

Aug 21st, '10, 07:24

by skilfautdire » Aug 21st, '10, 07:24

Crafty_Mom wrote:So, 1 week delay + 1 week to get clear across the country + nothing to drink meanwhile but Teavana and Liptons = one pretty cranky Crafty.
In that case simply go to your nearest Chinese supermarket. The Japanese aisle will have ... Japanese teas such as Maeda-en and Yamamotoyama which are certainly better than Teavana and Liptons and Tetley and Red Rose. Pick a bag that looks in good condition. You may also find some potable Yunnan black tea in the Chinese teas section.

Aug 22nd, '10, 23:35

by Crafty_Mom » Aug 22nd, '10, 23:35

skilfautdire wrote:
Crafty_Mom wrote:So, 1 week delay + 1 week to get clear across the country + nothing to drink meanwhile but Teavana and Liptons = one pretty cranky Crafty.
In that case simply go to your nearest Chinese supermarket. The Japanese aisle will have ... Japanese teas such as Maeda-en and Yamamotoyama which are certainly better than Teavana and Liptons and Tetley and Red Rose. Pick a bag that looks in good condition. You may also find some potable Yunnan black tea in the Chinese teas section.
Saddly, we have NOTHING like that around here. Our biggest excitement was getting a Target. That was exotic. :roll:

Aug 24th, '10, 19:27

by tenuki » Aug 24th, '10, 19:27

There is no way I would run out of tea - I probably already have more tea than I can drink in my lifetime. (most all my tea is puerh and oolong that either is aged or ages well, so time is on my side)

+ Post Reply