Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 19th, '10, 01:35

Re: Pu of the day

by nickE » Aug 19th, '10, 01:35

2010 Nada Manmai

Astringency - Pretty low.
Smoke - None.
Dryness-(mouth) - Some at the beginning.
Mouthfeel - Really thick, love it.
Huigan - Pretty light, could be better I suppose. Ku wei is decent.
Flavor - White sugar that turns into maple syrup. Very clean taste. Fruitiness in the later infusions that left my mouth tingling. The cha qi made me drowsy & spacey. :lol:
Overall value - $40/400g, same as the Mansai. Not sure which I liked better and I think it's too early to tell anyway.
Purchase again - Yep, I have 1 cake and probably won't buy another but this is due to me wanting variety. I definitely think this cake has aging potential. Leaves are whole and very intact, nice vibrancy.

Aug 19th, '10, 11:52
Vendor Member

by TIM » Aug 19th, '10, 11:52

Dass wrote:Are those white mold floating on the brew? I would be very careful :shock:
This is a new tea so there is no mold on the tea.Infact all tea kept in Malaysia will not have mold.
As for this tea,it is recomended if you want to buy and drink right away.This tea has no new cooked tea taste.It taste like a cooked tea that has been kept a few years.[/quote]

"Infact all tea kept in Malaysia will not have mold." That's a very brave quote Dass :lol: Are you sure? :wink:

So is this a cooked tea which has been kept for a few years before they release it in 2010, or processed in 2010 and tasted like an aged cooked? :roll:

Aug 19th, '10, 18:41

by shogun89 » Aug 19th, '10, 18:41

Isnt Malaysia quite humid? I would think mold would be quite prevalent there...

Aug 20th, '10, 23:44

by nickE » Aug 20th, '10, 23:44

Nada's 2010 Bangwai

Astringency - Moderate
Smoke - Some both in scent & taste.
Dryness-(mouth) - None.
Mouthfeel - Quite good.
Huigan - Long and full, very impressive.
Flavor - Complex taste but also pretty subtle. Good, solid flavor. Nice longevity but could use a bit more ku wei (I say that a lot).
Overall value - High quality tea at a moderate price.
Purchase again - I only have a sample of this and I'm now thinking of buying a cake...

I'd also like to add that Nada's descriptions of his teas have been spot on for me.

This was actually pu of yesterday. Today was a tasty '96 8582 also from Nada. Might review it later.

Aug 21st, '10, 00:03

by debunix » Aug 21st, '10, 00:03

Two pus today: 2009 Wuliang Shan loose Mao Cha from Norbu went over so well in clinic that I didn't get enough to satisfy my thirst for pu; so on to some 2007 Rui Cao Xiang 'Wu Liang Wild Arbor' Sheng from Yunnan Sourcing, a more assertive tea also from Wuliang.

Both very nice. Happily tanked up on puerh now.

Aug 21st, '10, 07:42

by auhckw » Aug 21st, '10, 07:42

Left: Raw 2009
Right: Ripe 2010

Though both are quite new, both are quite good. Made from Premium leaves.

These 2 are for the king (so the box says according to my friend).

Aug 21st, '10, 18:34

by shogun89 » Aug 21st, '10, 18:34

"are for the king"

haha, heard that one before...

Aug 22nd, '10, 02:19

by nickE » Aug 22nd, '10, 02:19

shogun89 wrote:"are for the king"

haha, heard that one before...
Chawang! Qiaomu! If it's printed on the wrapper, it must be true!! :lol:

Pu of the day was the 2009 YS label "Yi Dian Hong" shu. This is quickly becoming my go-to-shu for everyday drinking. It's thick, creamy, sweet & woody. Lovely huigan and I actually got over 10 infusions today. :)

Aug 22nd, '10, 11:46

by pgho » Aug 22nd, '10, 11:46

Of course, it is for tribute to the Palace and Emperor. Isn't shu developed around the 1970's, wonder which dynasty or emperor is that? :( :oops: :mrgreen:

Malaysia climate does support mold-free storage in most circumstances unless they are kept on the mist filled highlands. Indoor temperatures are between 25 to 33 degree C throughout the year and humidity ranges from about 65% to 85% in the raining seasons, typically around 75%. Unlike the monsoons in countries like India where it pours for days on ends, the rains in Malaysia are usually very heavy for an hour or two, so no prolong humidity in the 80's %. Areas prone to flood not counted. :)

Aug 22nd, '10, 12:15

by Dass » Aug 22nd, '10, 12:15

TIM wrote:
Dass wrote:Are those white mold floating on the brew? I would be very careful :shock:
This is a new tea so there is no mold on the tea.Infact all tea kept in Malaysia will not have mold.
As for this tea,it is recomended if you want to buy and drink right away.This tea has no new cooked tea taste.It taste like a cooked tea that has been kept a few years.
"Infact all tea kept in Malaysia will not have mold." That's a very brave quote Dass :lol: Are you sure? :wink:

So is this a cooked tea which has been kept for a few years before they release it in 2010, or processed in 2010 and tasted like an aged cooked? :roll:[/quote]

Yes I am sure.I have been keeping tea the last 10 years.Never had a mold piece.

The 2010 is processed such a way to taste like a old cooked tea.

Aug 22nd, '10, 12:19

by Dass » Aug 22nd, '10, 12:19

shogun89 wrote:Isnt Malaysia quite humid? I would think mold would be quite prevalent there...
Malaysia is one of the best place to keep and age a puer tea.
Infact puer tea kept in Malaysia is the most sought after tea by the China people now.A 1997 menghai Blue Water (7542)kept in Malaysia cost RMB 3000 in China.

Aug 22nd, '10, 12:24

by auhckw » Aug 22nd, '10, 12:24

Dass, Mr Hojo is in town. I met him today and he shared his experience / opinions about Pu-erh on his recent trip to china into some villages.

According to him, Malaysia is not a good place to store pu erh... I don't intend to quote him further, so do visit him and hear his theory (which he agrees that many other people may disagree).

During the weekdays he will be there about 7pm onwards and over the weekend he is there 2pm onwards. He will be in Malaysia till Oct. I plan to go to his shop again this coming Sun 29/08 - 2pm. If you are free, lets meet up there :)

Aug 22nd, '10, 16:54

by shogun89 » Aug 22nd, '10, 16:54

"Infact all tea kept in Malaysia will not have mold."

"Yes I am sure.I have been keeping tea the last 10 years.Never had a mold piece."

Not to say your wrong, but just because you have had good results with your tea dosnt mean "all" tea will not have mold. just be careful with the wording is all :wink:

Aug 22nd, '10, 21:00

by nickE » Aug 22nd, '10, 21:00

2010 Nada Banpen

Astringency - High.
Smoke - None.
Dryness-(mouth) - Low.
Mouthfeel - Decent, not as good as the Bangwai but up there.
Huigan - Resounding Ku wei cuts into a light & soft huigan. Banpen is close to LBZ, so the ku wei is impressive much like the Bulang.
Flavor - With the first sip, the word "vibrant" came to mind. Amazingly complex but still has that Nadacha clean taste that I've come to associate with the stuff he commissions. The Chaqi of this tea was also great, the only one so far that had me energized and bouncing off the walls. :lol:
Overall value - Close to LBZ... reflected in the price.
Purchase again - I don't have a cake, but I'd pick one up if I had more money (the usual :( ).

This is my last review of Nada's 2010 teas, as I don't have the Nannuo. I can honestly say I loved them all.

The Bulang & Banpen both seem to me to have the best aging potential. That is, if you subscribe to the more ku wei & astringency is better theory.

I found the Manmai & Mansai to be similar in their current drinkability and friendly flavors. Bangwai is in the middle of these four I guess.

I'd really love to have a cake of each of these teas.

Aug 22nd, '10, 22:31

by Dass » Aug 22nd, '10, 22:31

shogun89 wrote:"Infact all tea kept in Malaysia will not have mold."

"Yes I am sure.I have been keeping tea the last 10 years.Never had a mold piece."

Not to say your wrong, but just because you have had good results with your tea dosnt mean "all" tea will not have mold. just be careful with the wording is all :wink:
Well I guess you are not familiar with the Malaysian pu er.
Its not only me.I have about 20 friends that keep pu er all over malaysia and the result is the same.And believe me we do not keep small quantities.

+ Post Reply