Aug 21st, '10, 19:10

Re: NEW! Celadon Show and Tell

by JBaymore » Aug 21st, '10, 19:10

Celadon is traditionally a high fire (2350F+ 1240C+) feldspathinc glaze that is colored with iron oxide, fired in reduction, and which is anywhere from a pale ice blue to a deep jade gray-green. There are apocrophal anecdotes to the derivation of the name.... and I've seen a ton of these supposed stories..... but no one apparently knows that for sure.

Celadon certainly looks great on stoneware, but it is clearly at its best when fired onto a white colored or porcelain body.

NOTE: It is possible with modern ceramics technology to produce the celadon looking color and surfaces at lower firing temperatures and even without reduction firing using commercial glaze stain colorants. Lacking technical testing equipment most people would have a hard time telling these pieces from ones fired in the traditional manner.

Is this really "celadon". How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? :roll: It is not celadon in my book.... but if the color and look is all that is important... who is to really say.

best,

............john

Aug 21st, '10, 19:33

by entropyembrace » Aug 21st, '10, 19:33

auhckw wrote: Edit: Actually I'm a little confuse also about whether it is Celadon or not cause it says Ceramic
I wouldn´t worry about that...ceramic is a very broad category and celadon is a type of glaze used on ceramics.

Aug 22nd, '10, 16:04

by shyrabbit » Aug 22nd, '10, 16:04

I love almost all celadons and marvel at the almost endless subtle variations on the theme. I'm particularly drawn to satin celadons, the less reflective surface allows for seeing into the glaze finish to appreciate its nuanced depth. Great topic, I look forward to seeing more examples.
Michael

3 Satin Celadon Yunomi
3_Celadon_Cups_LOW.jpg
3_Celadon_Cups_LOW.jpg (10.38 KiB) Viewed 3258 times

Aug 22nd, '10, 16:09
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Aug 22nd, '10, 16:09

Beautiful Michael! I really prefer the satin finish too.
Sooo smooth.

Aug 22nd, '10, 16:24

by Chip » Aug 22nd, '10, 16:24

Thanks for joining the Celadon topic, Michael. :!: Glad to see another one of our resident experts/TAs join the discussion. Beautful pieces!

I find that I am learning a little about celadon already! :mrgreen:

Aug 22nd, '10, 17:37

by Victoria » Aug 22nd, '10, 17:37

Here is one of my satin glazed cups. This is a sweet little cup about 2oz. It feels double walled. I can't remember where I got it. If anyone has seen one like it, let me know. I'd love to get more. Thanks!

Aug 22nd, '10, 21:23

by brandon » Aug 22nd, '10, 21:23

If you are really hot for that specific cup, maybe Lu Yuh Tea Emporium will order it for you - they sell some other items by that brand (Taiwanese).

I have a fantastic travel set in Celadon green (but not really Celadon of course) from them.

Aug 22nd, '10, 22:28

by chicagopotter » Aug 22nd, '10, 22:28

Chip wrote:Coincidentally, I was just reading a book on Celadon by Robert Tichane, published by KP ...

This book was a gift from the Mrs. and is rather technical to a layman, yet pretty basic to someone experienced like John. Since I would completely fall to the layman side, I had for the most part just skimmed through. But I am reading through especially as this topic leads ...
Next thing you know, you'll start throwing pots!

Aug 22nd, '10, 22:32

by chicagopotter » Aug 22nd, '10, 22:32

JBaymore wrote:Celadon certainly looks great on stoneware, but it is clearly at its best when fired onto a white colored or porcelain body.
+1

Aug 22nd, '10, 23:20

by Victoria » Aug 22nd, '10, 23:20

Thanks Brandon, I'll check it out!

Here are two of my favorite celadon cups. They are very small and so detailedl. A very unique dark olive color. They came from eBay last year.

There must be more CELADON out there!!
Pics please!!!

Aug 22nd, '10, 23:45

by debunix » Aug 22nd, '10, 23:45

Those are dramatic and different. Lovely.

Aug 23rd, '10, 02:08
Vendor Member

by IPT » Aug 23rd, '10, 02:08

This is a fun topic. I am going to have to dig out some of my celadon.

Aug 23rd, '10, 02:50

by Petr Novák » Aug 23rd, '10, 02:50

JBaymore wrote:Celadon is traditionally a high fire (2350F+ 1240C+) feldspathinc glaze that is colored with iron oxide, fired in reduction, and which is anywhere from a pale ice blue to a deep jade gray-green. There are apocrophal anecdotes to the derivation of the name.... and I've seen a ton of these supposed stories..... but no one apparently knows that for sure.

Celadon certainly looks great on stoneware, but it is clearly at its best when fired onto a white colored or porcelain body.

NOTE: It is possible with modern ceramics technology to produce the celadon looking color and surfaces at lower firing temperatures and even without reduction firing using commercial glaze stain colorants. Lacking technical testing equipment most people would have a hard time telling these pieces from ones fired in the traditional manner.

Is this really "celadon". How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? :roll: It is not celadon in my book.... but if the color and look is all that is important... who is to really say.

best,

............john
I would like to only add to the topic that (as it is may be clar from nice John's description...) what is "celadon" depends on context. I maen that for example in Korea "celadon"means kind of pots or style and not glaze- clay(stoneware), several kinds of decoration and glaze,forms, fired in reduction. Of course now, due to globalization, it is changing...

Petr

Aug 23rd, '10, 05:02

by mr. Less » Aug 23rd, '10, 05:02

brandon wrote:For completeness... it is currently quite popular in Taiwan to try to reverse engineer or reimagine Celadon.

This cup is matte unlike our reference, but still quite lovely.

hey brandon, love those cups!!

do you remember where you get those from?
Thanxs

Aug 23rd, '10, 05:18

by Petr Novák » Aug 23rd, '10, 05:18

For those who are interested here is the link to few pics which I took in Celadon Museum in Gangjin two years ago: http://picasaweb.google.cz/petrnovakpot ... 4q13I3t9AE#

+ Post Reply