Yunnan Jig vs. Yunnan Golden Curls

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Aug 21st, '10, 08:44

Yunnan Jig vs. Yunnan Golden Curls

by PamEast » Aug 21st, '10, 08:44

A sample of Yunnan Jig was included in a black tea sampler I bought from Adagio. From the first sip, it instantly became my favorite tea.

Then TwoPynts suggested I try Yunnan Golden Curls, so I ordered a sample of that. I had an odd reaction to it that I'm still trying to analyze. On the first sip my nose curled up and initially I thought I didn't like it. But I took another sip... and another... and another... And before I knew it I would swear it was the best tea I've ever tasted, aside from that first sip.

I've gone back and forth between the two without being able to figure out the difference, so this morning I finally did a side by side taste test. I probably lack the "tea vocabulary" to adequately describe my findings, but I'll give it a try.

What I found was that the Yunnan Golden Curls has a much stronger fragrence in the cup. It's not a bad fragrence, but it is very unfamiliar and that's what is making my nose curl up on that first sip. It's also got a stronger flavor than the Yunnan Jig. I'm definitely responding positively to the Golden Curls, because it just captures me every time I drink it, but I still find myself reaching for the Jig when I just want a quick cup of basic tea.

I was trying to decide between the two, but I think I'm going to have to buy both of them.

Pam

Aug 21st, '10, 13:20

Re: Yunnan Jig vs. Yunnan Golden Curls

by debunix » Aug 21st, '10, 13:20

PamEast wrote:I'm definitely responding positively to the Golden Curls, because it just captures me every time I drink it, but I still find myself reaching for the Jig when I just want a quick cup of basic tea.

I was trying to decide between the two, but I think I'm going to have to buy both of them.
Sometimes my tastebuds want to be soothed and not dazzled, and it's nice to have some teas around that are reliable but not so demanding of attention in both the brewing and the drinking.

And direct comparisons between similar teas have been my favorite way to learn more about the differences between them, although my tea vocabulary is still rather pathetic.

Aug 23rd, '10, 11:21

by TwoPynts » Aug 23rd, '10, 11:21

I'm no expert either, but I don't think we should judge tea's from the first few sips, or even first few cups! :)

Victoria was kind enough to send me a sample of Da Yu Ling Oolong with a tea set I purchased from her. I admit that I wasn't sure if I liked it at first, but after becoming acquainted with it, I now find it delicious and wish I had more, hahah.

Aug 24th, '10, 21:30

by PamEast » Aug 24th, '10, 21:30

debunix wrote: Sometimes my tastebuds want to be soothed and not dazzled, and it's nice to have some teas around that are reliable but not so demanding of attention in both the brewing and the drinking.
Yes! Exactly! That really clarifies it.

Pam

+ Post Reply