Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 22nd, '10, 23:44
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Pu of the day

by Geekgirl » Aug 22nd, '10, 23:44

Dude, mold grows where there is humidity, no exceptions. It's one of the most tenacious living organisms on the planet. But if you say that your humidity is somehow special enough to outwit fungus, then you just keep telling yourself that. Either that or there's something you're not telling us, like maybe heavy use of fungicides?

By the way, you can only see the mold when it gets enough of it to be called a colony.

Aug 23rd, '10, 00:47

by debunix » Aug 23rd, '10, 00:47

coming back to a dear friend, after romancing a lot of sweet young things.....or rather, somewhat bitter young things.....

2007 White Bud Sheng puerh from Norbu tonight, after having drunk some 2010 white buds that are basically the same tea, uncompressed, and the parallels are so clear, and the tea is so nice, that I am, naturally, falling in love all over again with this tea, as I do every few months. I'm drinking it *very* dilute, as this is the end of the day and I don't want to be buzzed all night, which may amplify the similarities with the uncompressed young tea.

A moment of overconfidence and overlong brewing was a clear reminder that this is PUERH, and not to be taken for granted, yet it gave only momentary pause, not oops-dump-and-start-next-infusion-over response. Even when it's bad it's good.

Aug 23rd, '10, 10:23

2009 Haiwan No. 1 / 901

by TwoPynts » Aug 23rd, '10, 10:23

2009 Haiwan No. 1 / 901 (from sample)

Astringency - low
Smoke - a little
Dryness-(mouth) - Low, some at the back of the throat.
Mouthfeel - Not bad, but not exceptional or long lasting.
Huigan - Not much of one that I could detect, but perhaps that is because of its effect on me.
Flavor - Strong woody, forest-floor flavor. Later infusions bring a bit of fruitiness to the forefront. Slight apple scent.
Chaqi - Sapped me of energy - I felt very lethargic after drinking this tea.
Overall value - For the price, not bad.
Purchase again - Probably not, unless I want to use it as a sleep aid.

An okay pu, but it knocked me out. Never experienced that before. Brew up nice and dark infusion after infusion, stopped drinking after the 8th but it had more to give. For the first few infusions the liquor was a bit oily.ng after the 8th but it had more to give. For the first few infusions the liquor was a bit oily.

Aug 23rd, '10, 22:23

by Dass » Aug 23rd, '10, 22:23

Geekgirl wrote:Dude, mold grows where there is humidity, no exceptions. It's one of the most tenacious living organisms on the planet. But if you say that your humidity is somehow special enough to outwit fungus, then you just keep telling yourself that. Either that or there's something you're not telling us, like maybe heavy use of fungicides?

By the way, you can only see the mold when it gets enough of it to be called a colony.
Come on fungicides? Do you think I am using that stuff.Its a joke for you to mention that.
Firstly you must understand the Malayisa weather.Its the same all year around.We do not have 4 seasons.The temperature and humidity in my tea storage room is the same all the time all year round.
Temp - 29 to 31
Humidity - 60 to 67

Anyway if you think there is mold than let it be.
Thanks for your comments and input.

Aug 23rd, '10, 22:40

by nickE » Aug 23rd, '10, 22:40

Pu of the day!

2 Yiwu...
  • 2009 Yiwu Ma Hei Village
    2001 Mingyuanhao Yiwu
Didn't really have enough leaf of the 2001 for even my 60ml gaiwan. :( This resulted in some complexities and subtleties being left out.

The Ma Hei was extraordinary, a great tea.

Aug 24th, '10, 00:42

by shogun89 » Aug 24th, '10, 00:42

nickE wrote: Didn't really have enough leaf of the 2001 for even my 60ml gaiwan. :( This resulted in some complexities and subtleties being left out.
Hate when that happens!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Aug 24th, '10, 02:01

by debunix » Aug 24th, '10, 02:01

nickE wrote: Didn't really have enough leaf of the 2001 for even my 60ml gaiwan. :( This resulted in some complexities and subtleties being left out.
You could have sent it to me for dilute brewing in one of my 40 mL gaiwans! All I need is one gram....

Aug 24th, '10, 03:05

by shah82 » Aug 24th, '10, 03:05

/me blinks...

I...don't think that's the sort of tea you'd like. It's not as smooth as it could be, and when I tried it, it had some funk that needed rinsing.

Maybe I should try it again. A proper 7 grams, of course!

I had 2009 XZH pasha. BBQ potato chip flavor in the beginning makes for intriguing Menghai meets Nannuo session.

Aug 24th, '10, 23:18

by nickE » Aug 24th, '10, 23:18

Menghai 8582 today, 1996 & 2009 vintage. Both were good, the '96 especially so (big surprise I know). I'm a fan of young 8582 as well. It still has that smoothness at such a young age.

Young 7542 & 7532... not so much.

Aug 25th, '10, 00:19

by debunix » Aug 25th, '10, 00:19

2006 Haiwan purple bud puerh today, earthy and warm and full of umami, gently sweet, quite a pleasant thermos full.

Aug 25th, '10, 05:04

by pgho » Aug 25th, '10, 05:04

1999 Menghai 7532 in CNNP wrapper

Brew colour has darken to golden brown, earthy and wood favors have began to emerge showing signs of reaching the next stage of transformation. Astringent has much reduced, smooth and with good huigan. Feel like the 1999 orange in orange but with bolder favour and taste which I like. Hopefully my 2006 Dayi 7532 tong will follow the same transformation in 6 to 7 years.

Have to get a few more cakes, 6 years is too long to wait but the problem is, prices have gone up substantially.

Aug 25th, '10, 21:01

by nickE » Aug 25th, '10, 21:01

Started the day by finishing off my sample of the 2010 Guanzizai Mengsong, very bud-heavy. A nice punchy tea that I enjoyed, but wouldn't purchase.

I felt like getting slapped around some more so I brewed up Nada's 2010 Bulang... Mission accomplished. :shock: :mrgreen:

Aug 30th, '10, 00:53

by nickE » Aug 30th, '10, 00:53

This thread will not die! Not on my watch.. :twisted:

1997 Henlichang Bulang today. Oh, how I love this tea. Deep woody flavors, some damp moss, camphor, very thick mouthfeel.

This cake is worth its $150 pricetag, not that I'm going to buy one.

Oh one more thing, I got a hygrometer a few days ago.. The room in which my pu-cabinet resides has been averaging 40-45% RH, while inside the cabinet averages 50-55%. I find this interesting as I haven't yet done anything to artificially increase the RH in the cabinet. Maybe the moisture in the tea humidifies the space by itself.. which is awesome! :mrgreen:

I'd still prefer ~5-10% more RH so maybe I'll be sticking a bowl of water in there or something.

Aug 30th, '10, 16:13

by TwoPynts » Aug 30th, '10, 16:13

nickE wrote:This thread will not die! Not on my watch.. :twisted:
I hope this helps Nick. :wink:

Clouds Tea Collection Series No. 2 Raw Pu

http://www.cloudsgrouphk.com/
cloud1.jpg
dry leaf
cloud1.jpg (18.38 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
Got a sample from Nicolas and had it for a second time today.

Astringency - moderate
Smoke - very little
Dryness-(mouth) - not much, if any
Mouthfeel - a bit light, but lively
Huigan - slight but present, last a minute or two
Flavor - after the rinse, first infusion was like tasting the air of a fresh mountian forest, very light, hints of lavender
Aroma - woods after the rain, slightly floral
Overall value - for its age and immeadiate drinkability, very fair
Purchase again - I will purchased a whole cake next time
cloud.jpg
liquor
cloud.jpg (8.76 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
Came more alive in the 2nd and 3rd infusion. A delightful sheng, my first. Didn't have some of the less desireable features of young sheng I'd heard about, but it is supposed to be drinkable immediately according to the Clouds website. It gave me a nice calm alertness which is perfect for work, though it also gave me the munchies. :lol:

I'm looking forward to getting the samples from the OTTI.

Aug 30th, '10, 16:25

by apache » Aug 30th, '10, 16:25

I think "Cloud" has two different versions of #2. I heard the other version is more suitable for storage.

+ Post Reply