What is the most robust tea?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Aug 31st, '10, 22:21

What is the most robust tea?

by justbeyondutopia » Aug 31st, '10, 22:21

I want to get my dad some tea from adagio. I have a lot of points I don't know what to do with and he likes really robust teas. What is THE most robust tea on the adagio website?

Aug 31st, '10, 23:31

Re: What is the most robust tea?

by NOESIS » Aug 31st, '10, 23:31

Either a pure Assam tea, or a blend with a high percentage of Assam, like Irish Breakfast.

Aug 31st, '10, 23:53
Scrolling: scrolling

by Mr. Usaji » Aug 31st, '10, 23:53

This question is not really answerable, because many different kinds of tea could be called "robust" in different ways. If he's not much of a tea drinker already, you might want to stick with black tea. Assam or other Indian black tea could be a good choice unless you know his specific preferences.

Sep 1st, '10, 07:40
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Sep 1st, '10, 07:40

Although Assam might be more assertive, I would still recommend Keemun, they offer several including last I looked, one in the Masters Series which would make a nice gift indeed!

Sep 1st, '10, 15:02

by justbeyondutopia » Sep 1st, '10, 15:02

He is definitely an avid tea-drinker currently. My parents, quite awhile back, switched from coffee to tea for the health benefits of tea (and lack thereof in coffee.) and my dad has still always liked a very robust tea. So he isn't new to tea or unfamiliar with tea, so I think if Assam is pretty robust it could definitely suit him. Of course with loose tea you can also make it as strong or weak as you like, so I'm just looking for, on average, the strongest.

Sep 1st, '10, 15:34

by NOESIS » Sep 1st, '10, 15:34

justbeyondutopia wrote:He is definitely an avid tea-drinker currently. My parents, quite awhile back, switched from coffee to tea for the health benefits of tea (and lack thereof in coffee.) and my dad has still always liked a very robust tea. So he isn't new to tea or unfamiliar with tea, so I think if Assam is pretty robust it could definitely suit him. Of course with loose tea you can also make it as strong or weak as you like, so I'm just looking for, on average, the strongest.
Like your dad, I was a heavy coffee drinker before making the transition to tea many years ago. Indian black tea and Chinese red tea became my natural go-to favorites. Although I drink mostly Japanese greens and Chinese/Taiwanese oolongs these days, I still get a craving for a nice stout dark cup. I believe the Assam Harmony is a single estate, whole-leaf grade Assam, so it will be a quality tea. I'd also second what Chip said about Keemun tea. Adagio has some pretty good Keemun tea, although I've not tried the one from the Masters Series. Maybe you could get him one + a few samples. :wink:

+ Post Reply