another masala chai topic

These teas can resemble virtually any flavor imaginable.

Mar 6th, '06, 00:22

another masala chai topic

by sippy cup » Mar 6th, '06, 00:22

i know, i know, everybody asks about this...but i used to love "chai lattes" as a non-tea-drinker, and now that i drink tea all day everyday, the old packaged mixes just don't hit the spot as they should. i've read up on masala chai and different recipes for it, but basically i'd like to find that perfect spiced tea that i could just brew plain or add hot milk to get that sharp and sweet flavor i'm looking for. i love adagio's "oriental spice" tea, but it's just not quite strong enough to really stand up to milk. i want something really spicy and strong, almost a hot taste.

does anyone have a favorite tea brand for this kind of masala chai, or am i going to have to make my own mix to get a flavor that strong? any suggestions?

Mar 6th, '06, 12:24

by Marlene » Mar 6th, '06, 12:24

i like www.enjoyingtea.com 's masala chai
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, dosn't try it on.
-Billy Connolly

Mar 10th, '06, 04:14

The BEST "brew it yourself" chai....

by mistea » Mar 10th, '06, 04:14

Actually, just about the best chai at all comes from The Masala Chai company in Santa Cruz. It is that perfect blend of complex spiciness with a nice "bite." It was my first introduction to tea in the late 80's and it has spoiled me for all other commercial chai's--so much so that no matter how i LOVE chai, I gave it up altogether when I moved to the NW (sorry Oregon Chai), and couldn't find a decent cup anywhere.

You'll want to buy the "Masala Chai Spice" under the "Bulk Tea and Spice" section of the Products page. It's the only commercial chai I've found that actually has the right instructions--you boil the spices to extract their flavor, then add the tea at the end, steep appropriately and strain. They do now sell a liquid version that you can add your own milk to (3 pts chai to 1 pt milk to keep it as strong as it should be).

My mom sends me a box now and then to keep me from completely forgetting how great it really is. Check it out.

http://www.masalachaico.com/

Mar 10th, '06, 10:51

by kodama » Mar 10th, '06, 10:51

If you have a bit of time, it is not hard to make well.

Get some strong black tea and boil these for about 5 minutes.

1-2 tsp tea
3-6 cardamom pods (broken)
1 short cinnamon stick
a dash of caraway
whatever other spices seem chai-like at the moment

Mar 8th, '07, 02:15

by tenuki » Mar 8th, '07, 02:15

My favorite Masala Chai is Tao of Tea's 500 mile Chai. If you get a fresh tin and brew it right your tounge is numb afterwards.. ;)

Most of the other Chai on the market it waayyyy to peppery for me. I like my pepper on my food please, not my drink. I think they do it because it is cheap and masks a lot.

Mar 8th, '07, 02:20

by tenuki » Mar 8th, '07, 02:20

Oh, one more comment to add to the idea of making your own. All the India and Pakistani folks I work with have given me their 'mothers recipe' and two things are apparent. 1) eveyone has a different recipe, I mean, way different. 2) Everyone uses fresh ginger, the rest is up for grabs.

Check out this site for some great ideas..

http://www.odie.org/chai/recipes.html
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jul 16th, '07, 16:47

love the chai here =D

by lovintea » Jul 16th, '07, 16:47

the first chai i ever had was from Janam Indian Tea Shop and I was completely hooked on it!! Afterward i went to a couple of other places to get a chai tea but it was not the same. =/ Went back to the tea shop to cure my craving and found out that the chai there is the owner's special blend! =D Which means...that's the one and only place for me to get this satisfying chai blend =)

you can find more information here =) Hope this helps.

http://www.janamtea.com

+ Post Reply