Roasted based tea - Heaty?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Sep 6th, '10, 23:55

Roasted based tea - Heaty?

by auhckw » Sep 6th, '10, 23:55

I've noticed that if I drink roasted based tea consistently everyday, I tend to get heaty as in having mouth ulcer.

Anyone have the similar experience?

Sep 7th, '10, 00:00
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Roasted based tea - Heaty?

by Chip » Sep 7th, '10, 00:00

Sorry, not sure what you mean by the "word" heaty?

Sep 7th, '10, 00:03

by auhckw » Sep 7th, '10, 00:03

Sorry for my Malaysian definition. Not sure what is the proper word.

Heaty = When consuming too much hot, fried, strong herb... our body will react. Some fall sick. Some get mouth ulcer.

Sep 7th, '10, 00:09

by Chip » Sep 7th, '10, 00:09

Roasted, as in houjicha? Or a roasted oolong?

It would seem like an odd reaction, can't say I ever had such a reaction. However the body is very complex and we all react differently to different stimuli.

Sep 7th, '10, 00:13

by iannon » Sep 7th, '10, 00:13

Chip wrote:Roasted, as in houjicha? Or a roasted oolong?

It would seem like an odd reaction, can't say I ever had such a reaction. However the body is very complex and we all react differently to different stimuli.
sorta like when I "accidentally" eat a whole bag of salt n' vinegar potato chips? my whole mouth gets heaty for sure after that...

Sep 7th, '10, 00:18

by Chip » Sep 7th, '10, 00:18

Hadley wrote:That's it! Step aside, Mert. This [freak's] havin' hisself an accident.
Shawshank Redemption
:shock: Yeah, you gotta watch out for accidents :idea: :lol:

Sep 7th, '10, 02:24

by auhckw » Sep 7th, '10, 02:24

Chip wrote:Roasted, as in houjicha? Or a roasted oolong?

2 months ago, I drank a lot of Karigane and ended up getting mouth full of ulcers. Didn't aware it was due to Karigane, so I continue consuming it till I bite a piece of flesh out of my inner mouth.

Today, I'm starting to get some mouth ulcer due to drinking roasted Tie Guan Yin and Da Hong Pao for the past few days :cry: Time to move on to some lighter tea...

Sep 7th, '10, 21:32

by ABx » Sep 7th, '10, 21:32

I can't say that I've ever heard of that happening, unless maybe you're burning your mouth. Personally, I'd look elsewhere for an explanation.

Sep 7th, '10, 22:13

by entropyembrace » Sep 7th, '10, 22:13

Are you drinking the tea while it´s still hot?

The only thing I can think of that really makes sense is that you´re brewing at a higher temperature than you would lighter teas and then drinking them right away while the temperature is still too high and burning your mouth.

Sep 7th, '10, 22:20
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Sep 7th, '10, 22:20

I know what you mean. I got it sometimes too :(
But I don't think it's because the tea is roasted. I believe this may happen when the tea is newly roasted or newly re-roasted.
Some TGY producers told me even for greener style TGY, if you drink very new tea only a few weeks after being made, you may get "heaty" too. But I don't think I've ever drunk TGY that new.

Sep 7th, '10, 23:24

by auhckw » Sep 7th, '10, 23:24

entropyembrace wrote:Are you drinking the tea while it´s still hot?

The only thing I can think of that really makes sense is that you´re brewing at a higher temperature than you would lighter teas and then drinking them right away while the temperature is still too high and burning your mouth.
For my Karigane case as mentioned above, I mostly cold brew it and drink it at office. Consistently 1 liter per day for 2 weeks caused the mouth ulcer from bad to worse. I didn't want to believe it, till I decided to stop and when recovered, I tried it again. The mouth ulcer came back again from drinking it.

Sep 7th, '10, 23:28

by auhckw » Sep 7th, '10, 23:28

gingkoseto wrote:I know what you mean. I got it sometimes too :(
But I don't think it's because the tea is roasted. I believe this may happen when the tea is newly roasted or newly re-roasted.
Some TGY producers told me even for greener style TGY, if you drink very new tea only a few weeks after being made, you may get "heaty" too. But I don't think I've ever drunk TGY that new.
Not sure about the 'newly' roasted timing. I doubt mine are newly roasted, unless vacuum seal preserved the newly roasted effect :|

Anyway, I learn the 'not drink in volume' the hardway :wink:

Sep 8th, '10, 18:17

by ABx » Sep 8th, '10, 18:17

Just for some perspective, I've been known to drink upwards of 4l per day, all brewed Chao Zhou gongfu style (and drinking it as hot as possible, though slurping intensely to make it spray into the back of my throat), including heavily roasted wulong, without any such problems nor having heard about such problems from others.

I suppose that if you have small lesions or ulcers in your mouth already then I can see certain teas aggravating them, but I can't really see tea being the sole and direct cause of them.

Nov 18th, '10, 09:43

by auhckw » Nov 18th, '10, 09:43

Sun - 3 types of dancong
Wed - 2 types of dancong
Thurs - Ulcer

I guess I am not a roasted tea kind of guy

Nov 20th, '10, 06:15

by skilfautdire » Nov 20th, '10, 06:15

What I would do is try to rule out any effect of chemicals (as in pesticides). As in getting some organic-certified plain sencha from a reputable source (Yuuki-cha for instance, but there are others), have some of that tea as is for some time, and after seeing that the problem does not happen, roast some of the same tea at home. And then try with that homemade roasted tea.

It could be interesting to see if roasting alone brings out certain chemicals out of an otherwise organic tea, that would produce this ulcer effect.

+ Post Reply