High quality Single bush Dancong question

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Sep 7th, '10, 04:22

High quality Single bush Dancong question

by Oni » Sep 7th, '10, 04:22

I would like to taste some very high quality Dancongs, I would like single tree old bush, something way above commercial grade, sofar I saw only 2 teashops sourcng such teas, first one is Imen`s teahabitat, and the other one is Jingteashop, they only sell 3 kind of these teas, every one is around 100$ / 100 grams, around the same price as teahabitat sells some of it`s teas, my question is that which teashop should I try first, I really want to get the best there is.

Sep 7th, '10, 08:18

Re: High quality Single bush Dancong question

by mr. Less » Sep 7th, '10, 08:18

Hey Oni,

i am no expert on dancongs, i only ordered from imen once, but is was great.
The milan dancong from jingteashop was superb as well, but i dont know about their other dancongs
all in all i think you should try imens first, because her speciality is dc

Sep 7th, '10, 12:08
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Sep 7th, '10, 12:08

I get the feeling the best there is will be personal preference at that level. I preferred Imem's offreings over the milan from jing but I only had a little of each and dancong can be on the temperamental side when brewing.

I'd opt for one or more of Imem's sampler packs. I really fell for the aged stuff, but that's another ball park.

Sep 7th, '10, 14:00

by Tead Off » Sep 7th, '10, 14:00

East Teas and Postcard Teas in London. Emperor Jiaqing's Tribute dancong is outstanding.

Sep 7th, '10, 15:46

by Oni » Sep 7th, '10, 15:46

I tried Mi Lan Dancong from Jingteashop, I am refering to the high quality expencieve ones.

What is East teas? I never saw that vendor.

Sep 7th, '10, 16:43
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Sep 7th, '10, 16:43

Sorry Oni, cleary wasn't paying attention there.

Sep 7th, '10, 17:55

by debunix » Sep 7th, '10, 17:55

I would second the vote for Tea Habitat. I've had only a couple of other Phoenix oolongs (caveat: none of those claimed to be Dan Cong) and Imen's Dan Congs are a breed apart.

Sep 7th, '10, 20:31

by NOESIS » Sep 7th, '10, 20:31

Another vote for Tea Habitat.

Sep 8th, '10, 01:25

by Oni » Sep 8th, '10, 01:25

At this price range I really need to check out what I buy first, I also tend to try teahabitat first, I really want to get convinced that Dancongs can be the most woderfull oolongs, and I`d like to se some that resist 20 infusions.

Sep 8th, '10, 06:16

by Tead Off » Sep 8th, '10, 06:16

Oni wrote:I tried Mi Lan Dancong from Jingteashop, I am refering to the high quality expencieve ones.

What is East teas? I never saw that vendor.
Use google...........

Sep 8th, '10, 21:27

by brlarson » Sep 8th, '10, 21:27

Oni wrote:At this price range I really need to check out what I buy first, I also tend to try teahabitat first, I really want to get convinced that Dancongs can be the most woderfull oolongs, and I`d like to se some that resist 20 infusions.
Jing's Song Zhong will last for twenty infusions, and at $1/gram it's a good value. Jing's semi-wild wudong is also fabulous.

Imen's Ba Xian is delicious but for $1/gram I prefer Jing's Song Zhong. Most of Imen's other dancong are considerably more expensive, like her Song Zhong #5 ($2/gram) and her Ni Wei Yi ($2.50/gram). I own both but won't taste them for at least a month so I can't comment on their quality (yet!).

I think you would be happy with any of Jing's top-tier dancong or with most of Imen's dancong. You shouldn't rule out either vendor.

Sep 9th, '10, 02:24

by tingjunkie » Sep 9th, '10, 02:24

What I like about the Milan DC from Jing is that it's not at all temperamental to brew. Great infusions every time. Some high quality DC I have had in the past require pristine mountain spring water, a rainy day with temperatures between 68-72 degrees, a slight South-Easterly breeze, and a full moon with Saturn in the ninth house, just to get a decent cup. At that point, making tea is not so relaxing anymore. :lol:

This fear has kept me from trying the really top shelf DC's. Maybe it's time to just take the plunge.

Sep 9th, '10, 05:59

by Tead Off » Sep 9th, '10, 05:59

tingjunkie wrote:What I like about the Milan DC from Jing is that it's not at all temperamental to brew. Great infusions every time. Some high quality DC I have had in the past require pristine mountain spring water, a rainy day with temperatures between 68-72 degrees, a slight South-Easterly breeze, and a full moon with Saturn in the ninth house, just to get a decent cup. At that point, making tea is not so relaxing anymore. :lol:

This fear has kept me from trying the really top shelf DC's. Maybe it's time to just take the plunge.
Can you tell us what high quality DC's you've had that fell into this 'temperamental' category and where you got them? I have fallen in love with DC but there is a huge discrepancy between the good and the bad. Of all the bad teas I've had, some of the worst have been DC's.

Sep 9th, '10, 23:14

by shah82 » Sep 9th, '10, 23:14

Hou De's Ba Xian falls into that category.

Geez.

Sep 9th, '10, 23:33

by Tead Off » Sep 9th, '10, 23:33

shah82 wrote:Hou De's Ba Xian falls into that category.

Geez.
What happens when you brew this tea? And, how do you brew it?

+ Post Reply