Interested in Whites

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Sep 7th, '10, 21:16

Interested in Whites

by Corona » Sep 7th, '10, 21:16

First of all, I haven't ordered any tea in far too long. I think it's been 6 months. That needs to be remedied. I've always wanted to try a good white, I've just never got around to ordering it. The idea of it seems nice to me, something different from all the other styles. So, if anyone should like to suggest some whites to order ( and from where..) I would greatly appreciate it. I should like to try a few different types, so if anyone knows of any exquisite whites I simply must try, speak up! I leave my dilemma in your capable hands.

Thanks!

Sep 8th, '10, 02:37

Re: Interested in Whites

by Kunkali » Sep 8th, '10, 02:37

I just love Assam white satrupa estate. I've tried all the other ones, silver needle, white peony, snowbud...etc. And hands down that Assam white is my favorite. It never gets bitter, it's slightly floral and very fruity, very refreshing and, unlike the other whites, I never seem to get a caffeine buzz from it. Just pure relaxation.

Sep 8th, '10, 10:28
Vendor Member

by TIM » Sep 8th, '10, 10:28

Aged 2004 Silver Needle floating in my gaiwan. The good thing about White tea, eg: White Peony or Silver Needle is the ability to age. Not like greener tea, besides puerh of course :wink:

Sep 8th, '10, 10:38

by debunix » Sep 8th, '10, 10:38

Anji white tea is a must. I get a version called "precious rare white tea" from my local chinatown tea shop, Wing Hop Fung, which is fabulous.

Sep 8th, '10, 14:40

by Corona » Sep 8th, '10, 14:40

TIM, that does look quite delicious...

Silver Needle and White Peony..could anyone recommend a vendor with a good selection? Also, it's okay to purchase whites that weren't recently harvested, since they age well?

Good food for thought, thanks.

Sep 8th, '10, 14:49

by britt » Sep 8th, '10, 14:49

Hou de Asian has excellent Silver Needles.

http://www.houdeasianart.com/index.php? ... cts_id=920

Sep 8th, '10, 20:48

by Corona » Sep 8th, '10, 20:48

britt wrote:Hou de Asian has excellent Silver Needles.

Ordered it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Sep 8th, '10, 20:50

by debunix » Sep 8th, '10, 20:50

Not all silver needles age well: I was shocked at the difference between one I received fresh, as part of a tasting, and one that I had been drinking for a while which sat in my cupboard for about a year, and had been who knows how long in the store before that. It was very bland.

Sep 8th, '10, 20:56

by Corona » Sep 8th, '10, 20:56

debunix wrote:Not all silver needles age well: I was shocked at the difference between one I received fresh, as part of a tasting, and one that I had been drinking for a while which sat in my cupboard for about a year, and had been who knows how long in the store before that. It was very bland.
Good to know then, i'll have to keep that in mind. I would assume that it ages well under the right circumstances. Interesting stuff!

Sep 8th, '10, 20:59
Vendor Member

by TIM » Sep 8th, '10, 20:59

Corona wrote:TIM, that does look quite delicious...

Silver Needle and White Peony..could anyone recommend a vendor with a good selection? Also, it's okay to purchase whites that weren't recently harvested, since they age well?

Good food for thought, thanks.
The Tea Gallery white peony could be a nice try. Enjoy ~ T

Sep 9th, '10, 02:26

by debunix » Sep 9th, '10, 02:26

Should also add that I recently tasted a lovely silver needle & pai mu tan from The Cultured Cup. Their online presence is small, but apparently the store is much larger, and the quality of the teas I've had as part of tastings has been excellent.

Sep 9th, '10, 10:14

by PamEast » Sep 9th, '10, 10:14

I ordered a white sampler from Adagio. This is my first experience in white tea. Currently I'm trying the White Peony, which I brewed for 4 minutes using 190 degree water.

It's very pale. It smells good, but I can't taste much. I think I made a mistake with my sweetener. I used the same amount of sweetener I use in my black tea. It's not a huge amount, but it seems to have completely overwhelmed the white tea. All I can taste is the sweetener.

Is this normal with white tea, or am I brewing it wrong? I'll need to try this again without any sweetener.

Pam

Sep 9th, '10, 10:43
Vendor Member

by TIM » Sep 9th, '10, 10:43

PamEast wrote:I ordered a white sampler from Adagio. This is my first experience in white tea. Currently I'm trying the White Peony, which I brewed for 4 minutes using 190 degree water.

It's very pale. It smells good, but I can't taste much. I think I made a mistake with my sweetener. I used the same amount of sweetener I use in my black tea. It's not a huge amount, but it seems to have completely overwhelmed the white tea. All I can taste is the sweetener.

Is this normal with white tea, or am I brewing it wrong? I'll need to try this again without any sweetener.

Pam
oh... no... sweetener in white peony... :oops:

Sep 14th, '10, 15:50

by Corona » Sep 14th, '10, 15:50

Oh my lord...thank you, again. It came today...I think I actually know what quality tastes like now!

Sep 14th, '10, 18:56

by britt » Sep 14th, '10, 18:56

Corona wrote:

Oh my lord...thank you, again. It came today...I think I actually know what quality tastes like now!
I missed this one:

"Ordered it. Thanks for the recommendation!"

I thought "I hope they like it!"

And I'm happy to hear that you did! I think Hou De has some absolutely awesome teas, including their white teas. They once carried a fantastic Taiwanese white tea but once it was gone it was never replaced. They do regularly carry Silver Needles and although I'm not a huge fan of white tea overall, I really like this one and do regularly order it.

I know in the past Guang, the owner of Hou De, wrote about the precautions he takes when acquiring teas to sell, especially white teas. He said that because of the "hairs" on the leaf of white tea, special precautions should be taken to make sure that the tea is free of chemicals and pesticides. Apparently the "hairs" can retain or hold the chemicals if they're used for growing the tea. This is one reason I use Hou de for most of my Chinese teas and all of my Taiwanese teas; he is safety and quality concious and since I don't know that much about tea processing and growing, I rely on his integrity and judgment. So far I have no regrets paying a bit more for great tea that I feel safe drinking.

I'm glad this turned out to be a good choice for you; enjoy!

+ Post Reply