Teh Tarik

For general/other topics related to tea.

Sep 7th, '10, 06:32

Teh Tarik

by auhckw » Sep 7th, '10, 06:32

Just wanna share a local Tea drink here in Malaysia. Not sure whether you guys have heard of it.

'Teh Tarik' is the name of the tea drink which is in Bahasa Malaysia language. Direct translation of 'Teh Tarik' would mean 'Tea Pull'. What they use to make it is with Tea + Sugar (lotssss of it) + Milk. Then mix and pull it. The more bubble it is, the better it is supposed to be.

An article describing it:-
Teh Tarik
http://thestar.com.my/special/online/usjweb/usjteh.htm

Ask any Malaysian worth his or her salt to name their favourite tea, and most likely it is the teh-tarik. Literally meaning "pull tea", the drink is prepared using out-stretched hands to pour piping hot tea from a mug into a waiting glass. The higher the pull the thicker the froth. Often found in Indian hawker stalls or restaurants, preparing the teh-tarik is both an art and science.

In expert hands, the action of streaming tea back and forth the containers is a feast for the eyes. This visual treat involves vigourous almost acrobatic like-movements of the hands and arms, as the tea steadily spills into receiving ends. Poetry in motion.

There is a reason behind this unusual method of serving tea. It is believed that the technique of stretching the tea helps it to mix well with another essential ingredient, the condense milk. Thus, bringing out the strong aroma and the subtle taste of tea. Also, the beverage cools faster this way. Style with substance.

Video of the Tea being pulled:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ5iAx5TDyc

Sep 7th, '10, 11:35
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Teh Tarik

by Victoria » Sep 7th, '10, 11:35

Interesting. Not sure I'd like it, but I'd try it just to watch.
:)

Sep 8th, '10, 01:20
Vendor Member

by IPT » Sep 8th, '10, 01:20

It's really fun to watch it made, but it is SWEEEEEET!!!!

Sep 8th, '10, 02:35

by auhckw » Sep 8th, '10, 02:35

IPT wrote:It's really fun to watch it made, but it is SWEEEEEET!!!!
It is indeed very sweet, so when you order you have to tell them 'kurang manis' which means 'less sweet'

Sep 9th, '10, 16:43

by the_economist » Sep 9th, '10, 16:43

IPT wrote:It's really fun to watch it made, but it is SWEEEEEET!!!!
yeah it really is! i treat it like a confection of tea :)

to draw an analogy from chocolate, pure chocolate bars would be like most of the tea drunk here where we discuss the tea itself.

teh tarik would be more akin to truffles or pralines where the chocolate couveture serves as a base on which other foreign flavours are introduced.

Sep 9th, '10, 16:54

by Proinsias » Sep 9th, '10, 16:54

looks like far too much effort.

I just do this if I want to mix the tea up a bit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyBcuWeinDM

+ Post Reply