Rooibos Do it yourself Flavoring?

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Aug 4th, '05, 23:11

Rooibos Do it yourself Flavoring?

by seian » Aug 4th, '05, 23:11

A while back I picked up a good bit of unflavored rooibos for making my own chai (which has been nice) but I've go some leftover I'd like to try flavoring.

Aside from dripping a little flavoring like vanilla in the freshly brewed cup, is there a way to flavor the rooibos *before* brewing that isn't going to compromise the tea (make it soggy, encourage mold, etc). If anyone's got a recipe on how to do it, I'd love to read about it.

Aug 5th, '05, 11:11

flavored Rooibos

by Lana Y » Aug 5th, '05, 11:11

I love putting orange zest and cinnamon sticks in mine
A Women is like TEA...You don't know how strong she is until you put her in hot water...

Aug 29th, '05, 22:21

by seian » Aug 29th, '05, 22:21

Now that's a thought. I do love the orange rooibos. And I suppose if I wanted vanilla, I could chop up a vanilla bean into a container of the tea and let it sit a while...

Aug 30th, '05, 17:19

Re: Do it yourself Flavoring?

by Ric » Aug 30th, '05, 17:19

seian wrote:A while back I picked up a good bit of unflavored rooibos for making my own chai (which has been nice) but I've go some leftover I'd like to try flavoring.

Aside from dripping a little flavoring like vanilla in the freshly brewed cup, is there a way to flavor the rooibos *before* brewing that isn't going to compromise the tea (make it soggy, encourage mold, etc). If anyone's got a recipe on how to do it, I'd love to read about it.
Buy some dehydrated fruit and add it to the rooibos before you steep. :wink:
In God's Grace,
Ric

Nov 29th, '05, 23:57

by JamesBeach » Nov 29th, '05, 23:57

One of the great things about tea (or in this case, tisanes) is that it is highly flexible in how you prepare it. Originally when I started drinking tea, I was interested in buying it in all of its flavored varieties. I have since strayed away from that thought considerably. Instead, you can pretty much drop any spice, fruit, etc. into the infuser with the tea or tisane to add its flavor. I have found that you don't really have to coat the tea in your additive, rather it just needs to be present in the infuser.

So you can take cloves, cinnamon sticks, dried fruit, ginger root, and whatever else, grind it up a little in a pestle and mortar, and toss it in with the rooibos. It works well, in my experience. And this way, you can adjust to taste. Too weak? Add more!

Jan 23rd, '06, 16:36

And for something different...

by krismuse » Jan 23rd, '06, 16:36

I like to mix rooibos with chamomile before bed. The flavor is different, and it puts me to sleep in no time.

Jan 23rd, '06, 22:10

Re: And for something different...

by Ric » Jan 23rd, '06, 22:10

krismuse wrote:I like to mix rooibos with chamomile before bed. The flavor is different, and it puts me to sleep in no time.
That sounds like it's worth a try. :)
In God's Grace,
Ric

Feb 9th, '06, 20:06

by Zoomie1973 » Feb 9th, '06, 20:06

The jasmine rooibos is my favorite. The biggest problem is I get a weird sense of deja vu when I drink it, and can't figure out where I have tasted it before. :shock:
Heaven's gates won't open up for me
With these broken wings I've fallen
All I see is u
These city walls ain't got no love for me
I'm on the ledge of the 18th story
And I scream for you come please I'm callin'

+ Post Reply