OTTI Round #5 Pu-OTTI, Young Raw Pu-erh

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: NEW!!! OTTI Round #5 Young Raw Pu-erh

Postby Seeker » Sep 10th, '10, 00:09

Thanks Tim!
Seeker

Postby Seeker » Sep 10th, '10, 01:04

More notes on the Yiwu tasting.
Infusion 5 - aromas of new leather and then in the dry cup, Nag Champa incense!
Woh.
ps - I want to note that although this was infusion #5, it sat around for a few hours in a sharing pitcher, then I nuked it to heat it up for my sweety when she got home, and we tasted together. This is when we found these particular aromas. So - the tea sat, cooled, was mic'd, then sipped, then dry cup sniffed.
Seeker

Postby woozl » Sep 10th, '10, 11:13

Ok, I'm in uncharted territory so here goes.
I think I botched the first attempt at the Yiwu.
First couple steeps were pleasant but I couldn't get past the 3 rd.
Second attempt was better.
I get light smoke, tobacco notes, leather,
and a light bing cherry on the nose.
As infusions progress I get the camphor,
reminds me a bit of Skoal.
It gets bitter by the end but not undrinkable.
So I liked it, but not something I would buy.

That being said, check back in a few weeks.
Pu is a an acquired taste, perhaps I will feel
differently after the rest have been tasted.
woozl

Postby teaskeptic » Sep 10th, '10, 13:48

Manmai:

This is my first tasting from this OTTI.
Half the sample in a 100ml gaiwan.

This tea didn't transform very drastically throughout the session for me, so I will just give my overall impressions.

Leaf aroma:
Dry leaf was very clean, fresh, pure.
Dry leaf in pre-heated gaiwan was quite different. Boiled vegetable aroma dominated that clean aroma of the dry leaf.
Wet leaf aroma was very similar to what I just described. Boiled vegetables (maybe somewhere between boiled beets and boiled potatoes?). Also, a hint of popcorn.

Brewed tea:
Overall, the infusions were pretty mild in flavor, and had very little aroma. The taste was more or less a watered down version of the boiled vegetable aroma. The mouthfeel was average. The aftertaste was not huge, but the boiled veg taste stayed in my throat. Very little bitterness. Some astringency started to grow by around the 6th infusion.

Qi:
Much less abrupt than I would expect for such a young tea. Very relaxing and soothing. Focus was brought to my hands and feet.

Conclusion:
Veeeeeery different from what I expected. The tastes and smells are unlike anything I've ever had in puerh before. The boiled veg is what I will remember about this tea. The tea was a little bit one-dimensional for me, but I wonder what the other teas will be like.
teaskeptic

Postby laura99 » Sep 10th, '10, 17:19

I had my first tasting with the Nannuo yesterday. My steepings were: flash rinse,1,5,10,15,30,45. Used half the tea (about 6g) with 5 oz of water. The tea probably could have held out some more, but I could not!

I am still struggling with how to describe how teas taste. The tea was slightly bitter, but in a good way. That stayed the same through pretty much all the steeps; I did not find an increase in bitterness. There was a slight drying in the back of the throat that hung on for some time. The brew was a nice golden color.

On the second steep, the first sip was pretty powerful, but I got used to it. My 6 cups were spread out through the morning, the last just after lunch. Not sure how to describe the feelings I got from this tea, but slight head rush’s that Drax mentioned seems like a good start. I hung on to this energy almost until bed time.

I really enjoyed this tea, but I think I brewed a bit strong for me. Not because of taste, but caffine rush. Actually had trouble concentrating at work! Maybe the next time I’ll try half the leaf that is left. Or I could find that the young teas (or just this one) are a bit much for me. I will wait a few days before trying another. Need to take a break for a Sencha fix!
laura99

Postby puerhking » Sep 10th, '10, 19:52

Still haven't gotten mine. I'm totally bumming.... :(
puerhking

Postby Seeker » Sep 10th, '10, 21:26

EOT Bangwai '10.
6 infusions, ~1/2 of allotment in 3oz gaiwan.
~185 (my choice for fisheye) - 1s, 5s, 20s, rest, 20s, 30s, 1min.
Leaves retain greeness. All infusions are fairly light in color - sort of a green gold.
Infusions 3-5 yielded a pins and needles tingling all around the back of my throat. No 'chan ko'. No problem with too much bitterness or astringency.
Predominant aromas and flavors of smoke, campfire. Dry cup aromas yield perfume and incense after 3rd infusion and many seconds of drying. This began to dissipate with 5th infusion.
I'm thinking that smokiness/campfire quality is what softens to become perfume and incense - interesting. Makes me wonder if this is the intensity that will soften with aging and become... ?
Cheers.

ps - not much in terms of sweetness with this one for me.

pps - almost forgot, leaf quality - the dry leaves presented like loose pu, but the reference pics show a bing (on the EoT site - on page one of this thread, they are in bags)? Is that right? None of my leaves had any clumping together - totally seperate. Considering this - I question the quality as 90% of the leaves are broken and in bits and pieces. I did however find a couple of leaves that were relatively whole and roughly 2" long. Hmmm. I have much to learn in terms of my own experiences regarding leaf quality. But I will continue to comment here perhaps, in order to further my learning and hopefully some good dialogue.
Seeker

Postby Chip » Sep 10th, '10, 22:02

Thank you everyone for the reviews and comments. :mrgreen:

Seeker, the EoT arrived in large chunks in the bags pictured.

Perhaps leaf quality is partially my fault. In an attempt to make sure everyone got the same level of quality leaf and the same amount, I decided I had to seperate the leaf.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby iannon » Sep 11th, '10, 00:18

have tried 3 of the 5. Mansai first..very nice..Yiwu second..very Bold. tonight the Manmai. Very mellow i would say (imho anyway)

iannon

Postby Marco » Sep 11th, '10, 13:53

Got the letter from the postman on Thursday and so I could pick up my package on Friday evening. - The post is fast :)
Today I sampled the first Pu Erh.

First I took a deep breath of all 5 teas. And the Nannuo overwhelmed me. So my nose decided what to taste first :)
I tried to follow Tim's instructions for it.
And smelling the cup was really really great - couldn't get enough of it.
The first cup has been okay but the next four have been great. And I can't tell what it is. Gave me some warm feeling from the inside. Tasted fine with a decent bitterness. And smelled like heaven.

Tim how much years would this Pu Erh need to get on his peak?
I like drinking it but what will it become in some years?
I am very new to Pu Erh and I am very curious.

TC is a great place to learn.
cheers
Marco
Marco

Postby debunix » Sep 11th, '10, 16:44

Wrapped in an enthusiasm of tape, the samples arrived today (delayed due to mail on hold for travel). Yay!

Nap first, brewing later!
debunix

Postby msurads06 » Sep 11th, '10, 19:15

So i started with the banghai today. used approx 5g in 100ml gaiwan, approx 190 water. rinse, 3 sec, 5 sec, 15sec, 30, 45, 45, 60, 60 (approx).

The first three infusions turned out nicely, camphor taste not much bitterness, the second and third had fruity/floral notes. but i think i increased time too much on the next four, ended up with really bitter/astringent for all but the last infusion. I kinda lost time while brewing the middle 3/4 so they went a little long, was trying to study and brew at the same time. I will try a few of the other samples before i come back to this one so i have a little better comparison.
msurads06

Postby Chip » Sep 11th, '10, 21:04

Thanks again everyone!!! I be thrilled to see all the participation, comments, and reviews! :mrgreen:

I am currently quite enjoying a session of the EoT Bangwai, perhaps the best session of the EoT pu-erhs so far. Amazingly, the first steep was astoundling, lots of camphor. Then settled down a bit for the next few steeps. I am about to brew steep 4.

The aromas coming from the poured gaiwan, and from the just emptied fair cup are intensely savory. Not picking up any earthiness nor smoke really.

Yum ...
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Chip » Sep 11th, '10, 22:37

Up to steep 6. I have picked up a remarkable sweetness and essense of sassafras tree ... for the second session of this pu-erh.

Also picking up hints of bitter, maybe a tiny touch of smoke.

The leaves and fair cup once emptied still give off a captivating aroma.

Really liking the Bangwai.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby debunix » Sep 12th, '10, 01:30

First try with the freshly arrived OTTIs!

Tried the Nannuo 2.5 grams in small gaiwan, 60mL infusions approximately

flash rinse, boiling water, 1 minute rest

1 second first, sweet, rich, pleasant first taste

5 second 2nd, earthy flavors coming, sweet, rich, delicious, pleasing and gentle

20 second 3rd infusion, again sweet, bit earthy, sweet aftertaste

Little change in the delicious profile for the 4th (20s) and 5th (60s) infusions.

I do think this one has a lot more to give, will continue to enjoy it for a good while yet.

Ending it after a full liter or so of infusions (15 or so?), infusing as long as 2-3 minutes at the end, but I ran out of water, and it's getting close to bedtime; still, I suspect these fine leaves would have a little more to give if I really wanted to.
debunix

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions