OTTI 2010 Round 4 Shincha Encore!

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI 2010 Round 4 Shincha Encore!

Postby Chip » Aug 2nd, '10, 01:11

Thanks for the great reviews everyone!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby camw » Aug 2nd, '10, 05:18

Arrived today, looking forward to trying them and gives me incentive to get around to trying the last few from Round 1!
camw

Postby nickE » Aug 3rd, '10, 01:42

Brewed up the Zencha Moe today while watching Letterman, so I can't say I gave it my full attention. I do remember it having a nice balance of astringency, umami, and sweetness that I quite liked. Easy brewing, too.

Chip wrote: :mrgreen: great reviews and posts! I still have not said much about my experiences with these ... :idea: :arrow:

Well, get to it! 8) :lol: I'd love to hear your thoughts.
nickE

Postby Chip » Aug 4th, '10, 00:57

nickE wrote:Brewed up the Zencha Moe today while watching Letterman, so I can't say I gave it my full attention. I do remember it having a nice balance of astringency, umami, and sweetness that I quite liked. Easy brewing, too.

Chip wrote: :mrgreen: great reviews and posts! I still have not said much about my experiences with these ... :idea: :arrow:

Well, get to it! 8) :lol: I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I do try to stay quiet for a change and let others discuss the teas. I am listening intently however! :mrgreen: I will post some comments this week.

Cam, glad to hear the Otti has landed in the Land Down Under! It is Shark Week on Discovery here, lots on Great Whites around Australia. :shock:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby nickE » Aug 7th, '10, 01:46

Ok so I've now tried all the selections and can make my final remarks. Let me start out by saying that I enjoyed all of them. :)

Listed in order of preference.
    Takumi - Clear winner, amazing tea.
    Nishi - Great tea, makes me appreciate asamushi more.
    Sae Midori - Umami made this good even with lacking complexity.
    Kukicha - Best Kukicha I've had
    Moe - Easy brewer, nice taste.
    Super Premium - Somewhat boring, not bad.

Thanks Chip for the great OTTI! :D
nickE

Postby Chip » Aug 17th, '10, 20:17

I hope everyone is enjoying or has enjoyed this OTTI round!

I will briefly share my thoughts on these OTTI starting with the 2 from Zencha.

Clearly the Takumi is great shincha! I have ordered this selection for myself every year. I will certainly look forward to the regular sencha of this soon. I particularly like how this can be brewed up very strong w/o any ill effect as long as you are careful. Very full mouthful and lots of umami. This earned an A+.

The Shincha Moe. I went in with clear expectations based on price, but with a little work on the parameters, I found this exceeded my expectations. Certainly not on par with Takumi, but an excellent value IMHO. It has nice flavor, fullness, and surprisingly lasted through 3-5 steeps. I give this 2 grades, an overall grade of B+ and a value adjusted grade of A.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Geekgirl » Aug 19th, '10, 14:39

I had #1 yesterday at the office (in my new Kikumaru I TeaSwapped from Victoria) and LOVED it! My kind of sencha/shincha. My last client came in and come to find out she is a GREEN tea lover too. :) We are going to share next time. So glad I was able to get in on this.
Geekgirl

Postby camw » Aug 23rd, '10, 01:47

Trying the Zencha Takumi and I'm shocked.

I had a full bag of the regular sencha earlier this year and it was okay but didn't really impress me greatly at any point during the whole 100g.

Tried the sample Chip sent out and it is sensational? I know it is Shincha and a new harvest but I didn't expect it to be so good.

Can anyone comment on this years harvest compared to last in Yame? Does anyone else think it is substantially better than the 2009 sencha or am I crazy?
camw

Postby Chip » Aug 28th, '10, 10:15

And the Rishi trio ... very nice shincha offering from this domestic USA vendor. They are consistantly doing what no other domestic USA vendor is seemingly able to do (not including Den's since they are tied to Japan), and that is provide excellent sencha that is fresh and well maintained.

My thoughts on the 3 ...

The Kukicha is a very clean looking kukicha, hardly any dust which shows effort went into the making of this "byproduct" tea. The taste is very full and rounded yet has an overall light and refreshing feel. It is very nice kukicha. Could be the best kukicha for my tastes that I have had to date.

Sae Midori, seems I had more than my fill of Sae Midori Shincha this year, a varietal that is not really my fave. Still this was a very good example of how a Sae Midori can exceed expectations. Very full mouth feel and deep rich flavor.

Nishi Organic. I come to expect Rishi to do a very good job in sourcing organics, and they did not let me down with this one. 3 exceptional steeps. If anything on the downside, it was a bit tricky to brew and hard to nail each time, but this only serves to fuel my interest.

I rate them this way ...

Kukicha A+
Sae Midori A
Nishi Organic A- to A depending on how well I brewed. :mrgreen:

Anyway, straight A's fpr a domestic USA vendor for Japanese green teas, impressive. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Kunkali » Sep 12th, '10, 02:57

I wish I had been here early enough to get in on this one...it's right up my alley
Kunkali

Postby Chip » Sep 12th, '10, 12:02

There will be non-shincha Sencha-OTTI in the very near future. :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Kunkali » Sep 13th, '10, 01:07

:mrgreen:
Kunkali

Previous

Instant Messenger