Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Sep 16th, '10, 07:32

Re: Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

by Mao-lo » Sep 16th, '10, 07:32

Ok, i'm a noob and a tea addict :D
I've been lurking in this forum for the past three weeks and like dbradley said this seemed the best thread for my first post.

Now let's get to my answers

How long have you been drinking tea?
Since I was two, according to my mother. Unfortunately I discovered the joys of loose leaf tea only four years ago, which means I've been using tea bags for 18 of my (almost) 24 years...regrettable, isn't it?

What was your first Tea?
My first serious tea was a Steinthal second flush darjeeling, followed two days later by a gunpowder (Twinings). I knew I had discovered a new world and just couldn't wait to explore it all, after four years I'm still exploring and learning, and it's awesome. :D

What is your favorite Tea currently?
Fuji Yama from Mariage freres, but I intend to deepen my knowledge of Japanese teas

What is your next purchase?
I still have to decide if I want a Kyusu or a Yixing, but I think the kyusu will come first.

Where is your favorite spot to brew up?
Definitely my parents kitchen in the dead of night, when the house is finally silent and I can read and drink tea quietly

PS: sorry about my bad English, I hope to get better over time

Sep 16th, '10, 09:24

by nonc_ron » Sep 16th, '10, 09:24

Image Image

Sep 16th, '10, 14:53

by Mao-lo » Sep 16th, '10, 14:53

thank you nonc_ron :D !

Sep 16th, '10, 16:53
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Sep 16th, '10, 16:53

Started drinking tea regularly around maybe 8 or 9. Teabag tea with milk. Over the next few years I started drinking loose leaf teas and drank both milky tea bag tea and loose tea on it's own. Things became more serious when I wandered into a recently opened Chinese tea room with over 20 grades of long jing. The owner had quite a selection of teas but her love and passion for long jing ingited something in me. From then on tea became part of the household budget.

What was your first Tea?
Probably a Tetly teabag with milk and sugar at a very young age
Not too sure, maybe da hong pao
Again not too sure, possibly an order of oolong and pu from Essence of Tea
I love brewing tea in front of my tea tray in the front room on my little stool with some friends.
Best ever was probably gong fu brewing some of Stephane Erler's Taiwan oolong on a scortching hot saturday afternoon in the middle of the stone circle, in the heart of Glastonbury, with the festival in full swing.

Nice idea for a thread Tim

Sep 17th, '10, 19:30

by mangeorge » Sep 17th, '10, 19:30

All my life (I'm 65! Oh, you all probably mean other than Lipton etc, Okay, I've been dabbling for a few years now. Mostly with specialty teas in the market and at Peet's.

What was your first Tea?
You're kidding here, right? :lol:

My favorite so far is Zen, a product from Tazo. I'll have a question about that later.

That depends upon the answer I get to a question I'll ask later. All the samples (black) that came with my ingenuitea brewer are great.

Standing at my counter, daydreaming and waiting patiently for my timer to go "ping".
That was easy! :) Now for my eagerly anticipated query;
I quite like the Tazo Zen I'm drinking right now, but it's bags. I do prefer loose teas, so I'd like to begin my new expreience with something close to that. I'm not looking for "much better", rather similar so I can compare for myself.The ingredients say;
Green Tea
Lemon Verbena
Spearmint Leaves
Lemongrass
and Natural Flavors.
If i should ask this in another forum, please direct me.
Thank you very much, now I'm off to do some reading around here.
George

Sep 17th, '10, 19:57

by Chip » Sep 17th, '10, 19:57

Hi George, welcome to TeaChat ... hoping to see you around the forum!

Please share what is in your cup on TeaDay.

To answer your question, yeah, maybe check out this forum of TeaChat ... http://www.teachat.com/viewforum.php?f=7

Sep 18th, '10, 02:40

by theory » Sep 18th, '10, 02:40

Like a lot of you, since I was a kid. I've been an on and off tea drinker all my life but have really picked up the daily habit this last year.

What was your first Tea?
My grandmother is a serious anglophile; I have early memories of her making "children's tea" for me - which was mostly milk with a little tea - not sure what variety. Oddly enough, it was roobios that got me into looseleaf abou 5 years ago (I know, thats not TEA tea).

Probably some you hua xiang dan cong I got recently - its tough to choose though.

I need to get some good basic oriental beauty - thats my classic daily tea.

Outside in my garden - sitting by the firepit, brewing gongfu

Sep 19th, '10, 16:53

by RaynBeatle » Sep 19th, '10, 16:53

ever since I could remember but I didn't really get obsessed till 2 years ago.

What was your first Tea?
Earl Grey.

My new favorite is California Fields, my everyday favorite is Bombay Chai

A sampler that has 5 premium teas

In the patio.

Sep 23rd, '10, 17:40

by fdrx » Sep 23rd, '10, 17:40

Hi i'm Fred,

when i was young i used to drink english tea with milk and sugar... afterwards i started drinking tea and coffee without anything and recently i discovered all this very interesting tea culture and i like it

What was your first Tea?
english tea... but the first tea of my new tea life was a silver needle chinese white tea

i like diversity, i like to drink one type of tea then another, they are so differents... i really like the raw pu-erh samples i have but my stomach isn't that fond of this type of tea unfortunatly.... i really enjoy anxi oolong like teas and top grade white teas

i bought too much tea!

i don't know any

Oct 6th, '10, 11:58

by xhado123 » Oct 6th, '10, 11:58

Hi, I'm xhado.

I've been drinking tea for about five years now, loose tea for about six months.

What was your first Tea?
My first tea was a black Lipton tea, of unknown quality... Then I spent a few summers making wild teas out of cattail, bergamot, (Straight) wild ginger, wild mustard, red clover, oxe-eye daisy, and sassafrass. My first actual loose leaf tea was Jasmine Dragon Pearl, and the first that I liked was Silver Needle.

AH! So many to choose form. I really like Lapsang Souchong, and I'm also impartial to Gyokuro. I found a peach sencha in a local shop I am currently in love with.

Likely a full cast iron set, after tasting the difference between Golden Monkey in cast iron vs. an easy tea steeper, There's no way I can't have one of these anymore.

Right now, my kitchen and at work are the only places I brew tea, but I would love nothing else than to brew tea on a campout, in the middle of the woods.

Oct 8th, '10, 10:19

by Stentor » Oct 8th, '10, 10:19

Hello everyone, 

I have been browsing this forum for about  two months or so now and I am glad I found this place. 
I figured it was time to participate in a more active manner.

You all have helped me a lot on my way to becoming more knowledgable about tea. 
I can't imagine how many hours of trial & error it would have taken me to make tea properly if I hadn't come across TeaChat.

On the other hand, my wallet would most likely be a lot heavier since you guys have made me spend a lot of money on tea and teaware. And it's not like there's an end to the spending in sight ;)

However, while certainly making it easier to prepare tea well, beautiful teaware definitely makes the experience much more enjoyable.

I will post some pictures of my teaware, like my kyusu and first Hagi pieces in the appropriate topics as soon as I have some good pictures.

So as not to leave you guys completely clueless as to who I am, I will say that I am a 26-year-old male student from Germany.

Disregarding tea bags and herbal infusions, I have been drinking loose leaf tea regularly for about 6 months now. I feel like I am at the beginning of a long journey and have much exploration and many discoveries ahead of me.

What was your first Tea?
First ever tea was probably an Earl Grey tea bag about twelve-ish years ago, which I enjoyed at the time.

I would have to say my favorite tea right now is Sencha. I can't narrow it down to a specific type of Sencha as there is so much left to try.
I like light steamed to deep steamed and haven't found anything that I dislike at all yet in the realm of Sencha.

Teawise I will most likely buy O-Cha's Yutaka Midori soon as many of you seem to like this tea a lot.
I might also try my first Matcha soon.
As far as teaware goes, I fell in love with Hagi ever since I saw the "showoff" thread here. So there will be a lot of Hagi-yaki purchases in my future.

Well, I mostly have tea at my desk when I'm studying. 
I also like to drink tea while reading, so near my bed or the couch is also a place I enjoy having tea.

Oct 8th, '10, 10:27

by Chip » Oct 8th, '10, 10:27

Welcome to TeaChat and thanks for the Introductions! :mrgreen: See you around the forum ... :idea: :arrow:

BTW Stentor, you have a Private Message. :mrgreen:

Oct 8th, '10, 10:46

by Mrs. Chip » Oct 8th, '10, 10:46

Welcome, welcome Stentor to the best TeaForum around.

Looking forward to seeing you around! :wink:

Oct 9th, '10, 03:56

by Leo_Blue » Oct 9th, '10, 03:56

I don't remember when I first had tea, but the first time I had loose leaf tea was in June shortly before my wedding.
What was your first Tea?
My first loose leaf was sencha from the tearoom I visit weekly (it's kind of far away so I don't make the trip as often as I would like).
Currently I am really liking my bai hao yin zhen and jun shan yin zhen. Though I am a huge fan of greens (both Chinese and Japanese).
I am not sure what my next purchase will be. I am currently going through a sampler of sheng pu'ers and I might be buying up a cake or two of the ones I like.
I usually make my tea in the kitchen of my apartment, but I love to make tea with friends and family nearby to share it with.

Oct 11th, '10, 00:39

by mosshorn » Oct 11th, '10, 00:39

Well, first post might as well be here :P
I've been drinking tea for as long as I remember, but only recently have I started pursuing better quality teas.

What was your first Tea?
Living in the south, probably a generic sweet black tea :P

I've developed this love for Silver Needle after a few tastes, I keep buying it from different vendors in search of the ultimate cup of it

I'm going to be ordering a few samples from Samovar (in particular some Marsala Chai, Silver Needle, and Earl Grey. It's so hard for me to find good Earl Grey with a nice Bergamot flavor and less vanilla flavor!)

I enjoy brewing a pot and sitting on my back porch and doing some homework. Makes it go by much faster and keep me focused :)

+ Post Reply