Wild Formosa Assam (yes oolong) - Red Blossom

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Sep 18th, '10, 08:20

Wild Formosa Assam (yes oolong) - Red Blossom

by TokyoB » Sep 18th, '10, 08:20

Wow - what an unusual combination - an Assam from Taiwan that is processed as an oolong, and wild none-the-less.

More importantly how does it taste, right? Well I would say the taste profile is even more unusual. In fact this is probably the most complex and unusual oolong that I have experienced. For once I would say the tasting notes on the site are pretty accurate. (http://www.redblossomtea.com/details.ph ... sa&item=38)

The tea does have hints of a very mild sheng puerh, and overtones of a black assam which increases with subsequent steepings. There is also a sweet, sugarcane-like flavor which shows in the first few steepings. The finish is dry and slightly bitter. You should steep it only for 15 or 20 seconds the first few times. If you go longer it does get rather bitter.

I feel like there is no tea that this is easily compared to. I like it for the complex profile but it is a tea that I would probably only drink on occassion. This is particularly so do to the price and the way it is sold. It is only sold as a 6gm sample or 4 oz. for $116. I noticed that Red Blossom has begun to sell its more expensive, and presumably limited, teas as samples and 4 oz. minimums. I would probably spring for an oz or maybe two, but not four. Not sure I get the pricing/marketing logic there.

Sep 18th, '10, 13:30
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Wild Formosa Assam (yes oolong) - Red Blossom

by brandon » Sep 18th, '10, 13:30

Thanks for the review - was curious about this one.

Sep 18th, '10, 16:32
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Sep 18th, '10, 16:32

Interesting. I missed this completely or I would have tried it. I just placed my first order from Red Blossom in over two years, last week. I have not been a fan of Red Blossom since the mediocre oolongs I bought two years ago. Perhaps they are now trying to step it up a notch.

Sep 19th, '10, 01:47

by Tead Off » Sep 19th, '10, 01:47

Victoria wrote:Interesting. I missed this completely or I would have tried it. I just placed my first order from Red Blossom in over two years, last week. I have not been a fan of Red Blossom since the mediocre oolongs I bought two years ago. Perhaps they are now trying to step it up a notch.
Maybe 2 or 3 notches. :D

+ Post Reply