The future of the tea bag

Be a part of "TeaRetailer" history in the making.

Re: The future of the tea bag

Postby TeaPeople » Mar 7th, '10, 21:15

What are the pyramid tea bags made of? Are they biodegradable?

I prefer loose tea b/c it reduces the materials we use to brew tea. I'm probably more environmentally conscious than most tea drinkers, but I know there are some of us out there that prefer environmentally friendly products that still deliver quality.
TeaPeople

Postby freddy » Mar 9th, '10, 18:37

I am retired so drink most of my tea at home. The ingenuiTEA and the tea filters make brewing tea almost as easy as bagged tea with the added plus of blending my own (not always successful :(, but fun :D), an option I wouldn't have with pre-made tea bags.

I rarely drink tea in restaurants because it is almost always awful and even asking for hot water, if you bring your own bag, doesn't work because the water that's brought usually isn't hot enough.

However, teabags would be an excellent way to introduce people who are used to mass market teabags into the taste and variety of quality tea.
freddy

Postby b.wan07 » Apr 23rd, '10, 00:09

Hi Charles,
I would like to know how these pyramid tea bags are made, and what kind of material these tea bags are made of. To my knowledge, they are nylon, which is very damaging for the environment and thus a huge deterrent to using tea bags. In addition, I don't know what the process of making a tea bag using a Fuso machine means, and I would be curious to know if the tea is affected (in terms of quality, taste, or appearance) when it is put through the machine and turned into a tea bag. I think it would be useful to educate us tea drinkers about how this Fuso machine works.
b.wan07

Postby IPT » Apr 23rd, '10, 02:27

Personally, I would never use a teabag. I love using teapots, fair cups, and teacups to brew tea. It adds tremendously to the experience in my opinion. If I don't have the time to brew tea with a teaset, I drink something else. I have tea sets for travel and teasets in my office, my shop, and at home, so I never am without. Anyhow, that is just my opinion. I'm sure there are many people who would dig the idea.
IPT
Vendor Member

Postby Charles » Apr 23rd, '10, 09:54

b.wan07 wrote:Hi Charles,
I would like to know how these pyramid tea bags are made, and what kind of material these tea bags are made of.

The pyramid bags can be made from nylon or a biodegradable material (made from corn). We stock both materials. The process itself doesn't do anything to harm the tea. The Fuso machine simply drops the leaf onto a scale and then into the pouch which is sealed and dropped into another container.

Without question the "best way" to experience tea is loose, but for those who prefer tea bags, pyramid bags are the way to go...
Charles

Postby TeaPeople » Apr 23rd, '10, 13:04

That is good news that there are biodegradable pyramid tea bags available :) Is there a reason the nylon ones are still being used? Do the nylon ones work better? Do they cost less to produce?
TeaPeople

Postby Chip » Apr 23rd, '10, 13:38

I would think the nylon might be more neutral. With a robust tea, a bit of added "flavor" from the actual material might not make a difference, but I would think it would for more delicate ones if you would use the ones made from corn ... and the ones made from paper definitely can translate into the brew.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Charles » Apr 24th, '10, 08:34

I am not aware of a difference in flavor but there is definitely a difference in price. The nylon is much less expensive. At the end of the day the typical American consumer will buy green/organic/biodegradable products when they are the same price or slightly more expensive. If the cost is more than marginally higher, the "green" products just sit on the shelf.

Unfortunately the minority of true believers, while vocal, are still the minority. Adagio is currently packaging our new line of organic bagged teas in the biodegradable tea bags and conventional teas in nylon. The theory is that the customers willing to pay more for organic will pay more for bio, whereas those who are not, will not pay more for the bio bags either.
Charles

Postby b.wan07 » Jun 8th, '10, 09:43

Hi Charles,
You mentioned that the tea bags are sealed in the Fuso machine...I wonder what type of adhesive is used to seal it...now I am a little concerned as to what kind of chemicals are going into my hot water whenever I use a pyramid tea bag. Does anyone else know?
b.wan07

Postby Charles » Jun 8th, '10, 09:59

The Fuso machines use ultrasonic technology to fuse the pyramid bags closed. No glue, no staples, no chemicals. :)
Charles

Postby plant partaker » Jun 8th, '10, 14:01

I prefer loose leaf as well. Brewing it makes me feel like it's my own creation. I enjoy watching the leaves, smelling the tea, and holding the tea. It's not just making it. For me , it's more personal with loose leaf :wink:
plant partaker

Postby capheind » Jun 14th, '10, 22:17

I still don't understand how one more piece of packaging to throw away (usually two since many teabags are packaged individually) is more Convenient? When I don't have time/space for a pot I just toss tea leaves in the cup, wait for them to settle and sip.
capheind

Postby Tea4you&tea... » Sep 2nd, '10, 15:08

Since switching from tea bags years ago to the filter tea bags, I encourage my customers to use the filter tea bags, that way they can decide how much they want in their bag. Some of the tea bags don't give you enough tea to determine what you are drinking. I like to know that if I want a cup of orange tea that I am going to taste the orange flavor and not just a hint of orange. Tea filter bags are not an inconvenience if you do it ahead of time. I just fill up the bags (five to ten bags)with my choice of teas, put them in a ziplock baggie and off I go. Take one bag out, put in my 8 oz or 12 oz. mug, pour hot water over it, let it steep, take the bag out and I am ready for my favorite tea or rooibos.
Tea4you&tea...

Postby bunnylebowski » Sep 9th, '10, 18:36

correct me if i am wrong... and i am sure someone will :) but isn't it true that for something to "biodegrade" it has to get oxygen to it? so when something get buried in a landfill it will remain regardless of the fact that is it made from biodegradable material. i have seen this same debate with the biodegradable doggie poop bags, etc.
bunnylebowski

Postby sanamionline » Sep 18th, '10, 23:53

All this walk about biodegradable tea bags and such I just had to put in my 2cents for what it is worth. I don't see much benefit to the tea bag at all. 1. You need to be certain what the paper is made from, dioxins etc
2. Biodegradable fine but why not go without? More paper for the landfill. Loose tea biodegrades a lot faster in earth and provides good nourishment for the soil.
Actually as a traditional tea drinker I miss the loose tea, take away that tea character - reading tea. You can't read tea with tea bags. :D
sanamionline

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions