OTTI Round #5 Pu-OTTI, Young Raw Pu-erh

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: NEW!!! OTTI Round #5 Pu-OTTI, Young Raw Pu-erh

Postby entropyembrace » Sep 18th, '10, 14:16

I´m thinking of not using all these samples right away....I´ve been shopping for a gongfu set and I feel terrible brewing them in a huge glass pot...I really feel like I am missing something brewing that way. I have some little 50g tins with a good seal they´d probably be ok in until I make up my mind on a set and order it.

I´m only getting 4 infusions or so and there´s not much leaf for the volume of water compared to what the tea wants I think. :? I´ll save the 3 I haven´t tried yet and just give the other two another round in my current setup.
entropyembrace

Postby Mr. Usaji » Sep 18th, '10, 14:42

entropyembrace wrote:I´m thinking of not using all these samples right away....I´ve been shopping for a gongfu set and I feel terrible brewing them in a huge glass pot...I really feel like I am missing something brewing that way.

You don't really need a gong fu set. I have done "gong fu" brewing with a small mug. Just put the leaves in, pour in the water, and pour through a strainer into another mug. This works pretty well for any tea with big leaves, like pu'er. I have a gaiwan now, but since I only have one gaiwan, I still use the mug when comparing two different kinds of tea at once (one in the gaiwan, one in the mug).

By the way, the EoT Mansai just got a rave review in the latest installment of The Half-Dipper. (I haven't tried the tea yet, but the review is an enjoyable read if you like that kind of thing.)
Mr. Usaji

Postby TwoPynts » Sep 18th, '10, 16:24

Mr. Usaji wrote:You don't really need a gong fu set. I have done "gong fu" brewing with a small mug. Just put the leaves in, pour in the water, and pour through a strainer into another mug. This works pretty well for any tea with big leaves, like pu'er. I have a gaiwan now, but since I only have one gaiwan, I still use the mug when comparing two different kinds of tea at once (one in the gaiwan, one in the mug).

Yep, there are alternatives that work.

By the way, the EoT Mansai just got a rave review in the latest installment of The Half-Dipper. (I haven't tried the tea yet, but the review is an enjoyable read if you like that kind of thing.)

+1 I do. :)
I'd have to say the EoT Mansai is my favorite thus far, but I still have two to test.
TwoPynts

Postby entropyembrace » Sep 18th, '10, 19:35

TwoPynts wrote:
Mr. Usaji wrote:You don't really need a gong fu set. I have done "gong fu" brewing with a small mug. Just put the leaves in, pour in the water, and pour through a strainer into another mug. This works pretty well for any tea with big leaves, like pu'er. I have a gaiwan now, but since I only have one gaiwan, I still use the mug when comparing two different kinds of tea at once (one in the gaiwan, one in the mug).

Yep, there are alternatives that work.

I don´t have any mugs that small either.
entropyembrace

Postby Chip » Sep 18th, '10, 19:42

entropyembrace wrote: I don´t have any mugs that small either.

English style teacups? These would be more the size and thickness of a gaiwan ...

Thanks everyone for the great reviews, comments, discussion!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Drax » Sep 19th, '10, 20:47

Got to try the last sample today, for me, the Mansai.

This is what I would consider a classic young sheng -- powerful. I used ~4.5 grams in a 4oz gaiwan. My steepings so far (after a flash): 3s, 5s, 10s x 5. I will continue with this tomorrow.

The smoky, leatheriness of the leaves after the flash rinse did not ever really seem to sneak much into the taste for me. Or perhaps I've gotten used to it. The sheng didn't really power-up until the 10s steeps, but it's been going on strong since! A nice mouth buzz, nice after-taste, and now here around the 7th steep I'm getting a strong dryness (perhaps that's just the cumulative effect).

It's been a great series! I'll have to look back over all 5 and use up the remaining samples in a second round...
Drax

Postby puerhking » Sep 19th, '10, 21:09

EoT Bangwai - This is my second day with this one. I'm too lazy today to describe the session. I will say that it was longer lived than the Mansai. I liked the Mansai better for the first 5 brews....then I prefered the Bangwai from then on. They are both quite nice and I will have a difficult time choosing between the two....might have to get them both.
puerhking

Postby TwoPynts » Sep 20th, '10, 13:12

puerhking wrote:EoT Bangwai - This is my second day with this one. I'm too lazy today to describe the session. I will say that it was longer lived than the Mansai. I liked the Mansai better for the first 5 brews....then I prefered the Bangwai from then on. They are both quite nice and I will have a difficult time choosing between the two....might have to get them both.

Wow, interesting how that is so different from my experience with the Bangwai. Perhaps the next tasting of it will be more enjoyable for me.
TwoPynts

2006 YiWu Mt. (Mandarins)

Postby TwoPynts » Sep 20th, '10, 17:01

2006 YiWu Mt. (Mandarins)

Dry leaves have very faint scent - hints at tobacco. They don't look like they have aged 4 years, very much like the 2010 EoT offerings.

Rinsing and the initial infusion smell strongly of a campfire made using fresh logs.

1st infusion - No flavors other than wood smoke are detectable. Coppery aftertaste lingers. Light amber broth.

2nd - Campfire scent still strong but a ripe fruit impression is behind it. Still not detecting other flavors, certainly not everything listed on Mandarin's Tea Room site. Finish is cool, and the Qi is starting to come on. Feeling slightly loopy, hah.

3rd - Scent has a bit more spice and fruit. Still no other outstanding flavors. Nice catch at the back of the throat. Some drying sensation.

4th - Toffee scent coming through now. I'm still not having much luck picking up other flavors.

Have to stop here for now, I'll come back to this later.
TwoPynts

Postby Proinsias » Sep 20th, '10, 17:07

Tim's Yiwu,

Around half the sample in my pot.

Lovely stuff.

Nice, clean, strong, bold tea. The little bit of age seems to give one more to go on. There are floral notes akin those I got from the manmai but perhaps due to age or just the leaf they were far less imposing. A nice qi from drinking over a few hours, strong but gentle.

It seems a very lively tea, notes of citrus complement an earthy character.

This OTTI I have been mostly using, this sort of setup:
Proinsias

Postby puerhking » Sep 20th, '10, 19:31

MTH 05 Nannuo Mt - 4.6g tea 75ml water in a gaiwan.

The brewed leaves smelled heavy of fermentation for a five year old tea. Seems like it has been stored in a more humid environment.....I guess HK would qualify. Brews a bit lighter than I thought...based on the smell of the leaves. Flavors are a bit on the light side on the first brew. Hard to detect individual flavors. Second and third brews extracts more flavor with sandalwood, as others have stated, camphor and urine. I've heard Hobbes talk about urine smell in tea and until now I had no idea what he was talking about. Seems to have a predominate sour flavor to it also.

I have to admit I'm not in love with this one. I am stopping at four brews and will pick up the session tomorrow to see what happens.
puerhking

Postby puerhking » Sep 20th, '10, 19:36

TwoPynts wrote:
puerhking wrote:EoT Bangwai - This is my second day with this one. I'm too lazy today to describe the session. I will say that it was longer lived than the Mansai. I liked the Mansai better for the first 5 brews....then I prefered the Bangwai from then on. They are both quite nice and I will have a difficult time choosing between the two....might have to get them both.

Wow, interesting how that is so different from my experience with the Bangwai. Perhaps the next tasting of it will be more enjoyable for me.

Yeah there are so many variables and of course the subjectivity of taste that its hard to say. Merely using water from various sources can make a world of difference. Hobbes reviewed it on his blog today if you want a more seasoned opinion.
puerhking

Postby Chip » Sep 20th, '10, 21:23

puerhking wrote: MTH 05 Nannuo Mt - 4.6g tea 75ml water in a gaiwan.

The brewed leaves smelled heavy of fermentation for a five year old tea. Seems like it has been stored in a more humid environment.....I guess HK would qualify. Brews a bit lighter than I thought...based on the smell of the leaves. Flavors are a bit on the light side on the first brew. Hard to detect individual flavors. Second and third brews extracts more flavor with sandalwood, as others have stated, camphor and urine. I've heard Hobbes talk about urine smell in tea and until now I had no idea what he was talking about. Seems to have a predominate sour flavor to it also.

I have to admit I'm not in love with this one. I am stopping at four brews and will pick up the session tomorrow to see what happens.

So help me if you planted a seed about urine in my head ... :shock: well, let's just say I know where you live and it is not too far away! :twisted:

It is odd how certain tastes and aromas are hard to get over. I have this problem other teas, but never urine in my pu!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby TwoPynts » Sep 21st, '10, 09:36

puerhking wrote:...Yeah there are so many variables and of course the subjectivity of taste that its hard to say. Merely using water from various sources can make a world of difference. Hobbes reviewed it on his blog today if you want a more seasoned opinion.

Thanks, I did see it. The 1/2 Dipper blog is a regular stop of mine. I use spring water, but an issue may be that I may not be able to get the water hot enough here at work. It doesn't seem to be a problem with most teas, but these shengs like it really hot, so who can say.

Thankfully no urine in my pu (yet)! :lol:
TwoPynts

Postby msurads06 » Sep 21st, '10, 13:12

Liked the first tasting of nannuo better than the first tasting of bangwai. not as much bitterness but definate sourness in all infusions. did a second tasting of bangwai yesterday, only 3 grams in a 100 ml gaiwan. Much better, still some bitterness but not overwhelming.

Three infusions in to the manmai, started with 3g/100ml, 3,5,10s. not getting much flavor from the tea itself, am going to go a little longer on the next infusion, but getting strong fruit/floral aftertaste that i really like. No bitterness so far.
msurads06

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions