Sep 22nd, '10, 15:53

Recommend me a tea for cold/flu/cough

by bagua7 » Sep 22nd, '10, 15:53

It started yesterday and I want to stop it from getting worse.

What is a good remedy for this pesky infection? :cry:

Thanks.

Sep 22nd, '10, 15:58
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Recommend me a tea for cold/flu/cough

by Chip » Sep 22nd, '10, 15:58

Lots of sencha! Before, during, and after! :mrgreen:

Seriously!

Sep 22nd, '10, 16:09

by Katy1977 » Sep 22nd, '10, 16:09

Fennel seed tea is very helpful for sore throats (as is chamomile tea) and is a natural expectorant if you have a cough. White tea is very high in antioxidants as is rooibos tea and can help build up your immune system. I would also suggest you try Zicam, it's a homeopathic cold remedy that I swear by. Hope you feel better. :)

Katy1977

Sep 22nd, '10, 18:42

by bagua7 » Sep 22nd, '10, 18:42

I hardly catch any colds due to my Chinese Kung Fu, Qigong practice and healthy diet, but the other day a gust of wind caught me off guard in the park, I was wearing only a tank-top on the upper part of my body, this year the start of the spring in Australia is being way too wet, and you know the rest :(

I have tried this morning adding cayenne, garlic and ginger to Keemun tea and it seems to work, I am feeling a tad better. I will drink this concoction throughout the day and the following days and see how things go from there.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.
Last edited by bagua7 on Sep 23rd, '10, 02:08, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 22nd, '10, 20:47

by TubbyCow » Sep 22nd, '10, 20:47

Echinacea is supposed to boost the immune system, so I drink that and lots of matcha and sencha when I get sick. Seems to work for me.

Sep 22nd, '10, 23:13

by the_economist » Sep 22nd, '10, 23:13

mayayo wrote:I hardly catch any colds due to my Chinese Kung Fu, Qigong practice and healthy diet, but the other day a gust of wind caught me off guard in the park, I was wearing only a tank-top on the upper part of my body, this year the start of the spring in Australia is being way too wet, and you know the rest :(

I have tried this morning adding cayenne, garlic and ginger to Keemun tea and it seems to work, I am feeling a tad better. I will drink this concoction throughout the day and the following days and see how things go from here.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.
ginger and garlic should do wonders for colds!

Sep 23rd, '10, 02:08

by bagua7 » Sep 23rd, '10, 02:08

Hey guys, what do Japanese teas do that Chinese don't in terms of cold/flu relief and speedy recovery.

I am more then willing to give them a go and abandon the "Chinese tea sanctuary" for a while.

Sep 23rd, '10, 11:57

by britt » Sep 23rd, '10, 11:57

Ginger tea can offer quite a bit of relief for a cold and sore throat. The hotter the better. The best ginger teas I've had are from Korea and Taiwan. The ingredients are sugar, ginger, and sometimes honey. The brand I've been keeping on hand is manufactured by the Taiwan Sugar Corporation and one packet is ideal with about 5 ounces of water; quite spicy but in a good way, and very good relief for the throat and chest. Be aware of the many brands available from mainland China; some add thickeners and go very light on the ginger, sometimes requiring two packets per cup to get any "hot" taste at all. They appear to be cheaper but really aren't, as they're just bags of sugar with a touch of ginger.

Sep 23rd, '10, 13:02

by TwoPynts » Sep 23rd, '10, 13:02

There are ginger tea bags as well, but I find them rather weak. I get the instant pouches that come from Jamaica, but I see that one of them is made in Thailand. The "hottest" I've found is from Midori Tea.

Ginger, honey, cinnamon and raw garlic (if you can handle it) in a tea should knock out all but the most stubborn colds in no-time. :mrgreen:

Sep 23rd, '10, 14:07

by beecrofter » Sep 23rd, '10, 14:07

Luo Han Guo very soothing and self sweetening in the manner of Stevia.

Sep 26th, '10, 13:03

by RaynBeatle » Sep 26th, '10, 13:03

I feel as though I should tell you chamomile since it's caffeine free, it'll sooth your throat, and you should get lots of sleep.

Sep 27th, '10, 05:02

by The » Sep 27th, '10, 05:02

try
chamomile, squeezed lemon and honey
or
lots of grated ginger, squeezed lemon and honey
or
thyme and honey

hope it works

Sep 29th, '10, 05:35

by skilfautdire » Sep 29th, '10, 05:35

Grated ginger: exactly. I wonder why 'ginger teas' would be bought whne one can get dirt-cheap ginger roots at many supermarkets, grate some, and infuse it. Or is it that 'ginger teas' are using other parts of the ginger plant ?

Sep 29th, '10, 09:19

by The » Sep 29th, '10, 09:19

skilfautdire wrote:Grated ginger: exactly. I wonder why 'ginger teas' would be bought whne one can get dirt-cheap ginger roots at many supermarkets, grate some, and infuse it. Or is it that 'ginger teas' are using other parts of the ginger plant ?
fresh ginger is GREAT in many ways. Just grate it and let it flow around in a big glass/cup with lemonjuice and honey.
I must say that one should look after organic ginger, because roots often take in a lot of pesticides I've been told. So go for organic ginger for sure.

I've never seen a ginger plant...my guess would be that the only thing used is the ginger-root?

Sep 29th, '10, 09:24

by Proinsias » Sep 29th, '10, 09:24

I tend to lay off the caffeine if I'm in recovery mode.

Once I'm back up to speed then it's time to drink huge amounts of green or white tea.

+ Post Reply