Mid-Autumn Festival Mooncake and Pu'erh

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 22nd, '10, 08:52

Re: Mid-Autumn Festival Mooncake and Pu'erh

by apache » Sep 22nd, '10, 08:52

Well, today is Mid-Autumn Festival, surely you will need to drink a lot of pu'erh tea to help you to digest all these mooncakes!

Sep 22nd, '10, 11:43

by auhckw » Sep 22nd, '10, 11:43

For years I have been eating mooncake without tea. This is the first time and I am quite impressed that it blends so well.

Mooncake is very sweet and it makes puerh goes even smoother in the throat. Getting HIGH on sugar and a good aged ripe puerh :mrgreen:

Sep 22nd, '10, 11:48
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Sep 22nd, '10, 11:48

That looks so delicious! Great pic!

Sep 22nd, '10, 14:20
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Sep 22nd, '10, 14:20

auhckw it's looks so delicious! From such a distance away it took me 1 sec. to tell it's lotus seed past with single yolk. Mouth watering! :o

Sep 22nd, '10, 16:02
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Sep 22nd, '10, 16:02

auhckw, that is theee way to eat mooncakes :)

i might just be able to get ahold of a good piece of mooncake after all! shall be enjoying it with pu erh too !

Sep 22nd, '10, 16:13

by apache » Sep 22nd, '10, 16:13

auhckw wrote: For years I have been eating mooncake without tea. This is the first time and I am quite impressed that it blends so well.

Mooncake is very sweet and it makes puerh goes even smoother in the throat. Getting HIGH on sugar and a good aged ripe puerh :mrgreen:
I'm glad that you enjoy mooncake with tea, there's good reason for this age old custom of eating mooncake with tea.

I only have 1/4 mooncake left and I saved it for tonight ..., well have to wait till next year.

One interesting story (or tale from a distance past) about mooncakes is that secret messages were allegedly hidden inside so when people gave each other mooncakes (this was before the days of e-mail or SMS on mobile), they were passing secret messages and organized a revolution against the Mongol rule ...

Sep 22nd, '10, 20:50

by auhckw » Sep 22nd, '10, 20:50

gingkoseto wrote:auhckw it's looks so delicious! From such a distance away it took me 1 sec. to tell it's lotus seed past with single yolk. Mouth watering! :o
Sharp eyes there :) You are right.

I always like the yolk whenever eating mooncake. When I was younger, used to like mooncake with 4 egg yolks but these days dare not eat egg yolks like that, not too healthy :cry:

Sep 22nd, '10, 20:58

by auhckw » Sep 22nd, '10, 20:58

apache wrote:
auhckw wrote: For years I have been eating mooncake without tea. This is the first time and I am quite impressed that it blends so well.

I'm glad that you enjoy mooncake with tea, there's good reason for this age old custom of eating mooncake with tea.

I only have 1/4 mooncake left and I saved it for tonight ..., well have to wait till next year.

One interesting story (or tale from a distance past) about mooncakes is that secret messages were allegedly hidden inside so when people gave each other mooncakes (this was before the days of e-mail or SMS on mobile), they were passing secret messages and organized a revolution against the Mongol rule ...
There is also another story i've heard, something like below

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/mooncak ... stival.htm
Children are told the story of the moon fairy living in a crystal palace, who comes out to dance on the moon's shadowed surface. The legend surrounding the "lady living in the moon" dates back to ancient times, to a day when ten suns appeared at once in the sky. The Emperor ordered a famous archer to shoot down the nine extra suns. Once the task was accomplished, Goddess of Western Heaven rewarded the archer with a pill that would make him immortal. However, his wife found the pill, took it, and was banished to the moon as a result. Legend says that her beauty is greatest on the day of the Moon festival.
To me mooncake festival reminds me of my childhood days where we put up paper lantern with candles in it. But then being naughty, I usually will burn all those lantern at the end and also played with candle/fire. Even barbecued beetles.

Sep 22nd, '10, 21:02
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Sep 22nd, '10, 21:02

auhckw wrote:
gingkoseto wrote:auhckw it's looks so delicious! From such a distance away it took me 1 sec. to tell it's lotus seed past with single yolk. Mouth watering! :o
Sharp eyes there :) You are right.

I always like the yolk whenever eating mooncake. When I was younger, used to like mooncake with 4 egg yolks but these days dare not eat egg yolks like that, not too healthy :cry:
I am usually very blunt on other things. But when it comes to food especially dessert, all my senses respond promptly :lol:

Yeah we need puerh to fight against all the cholesterol in egg yolks :mrgreen:

Sep 22nd, '10, 21:07
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Sep 22nd, '10, 21:07

To me moon festival is like a Chinese Thanksgiving. Every culture has something like this to celebrate the harvest season. Something else of this kind that I can think of is the October Festival of German. This afternoon we passed by a Porto Rico farm in our neighborhood and they told us they will hold a harvest festival this weekend. There will be thousands of people there and 12 pigs will be roasted to feed them, I mean us. After seeing the pork roasting set up, I am so going. It's almost as good as mooncakes :mrgreen:

Sep 23rd, '10, 10:39

by rabbit » Sep 23rd, '10, 10:39

gingkoseto wrote:To me moon festival is like a Chinese Thanksgiving. Every culture has something like this to celebrate the harvest season. Something else of this kind that I can think of is the October Festival of German. This afternoon we passed by a Porto Rico farm in our neighborhood and they told us they will hold a harvest festival this weekend. There will be thousands of people there and 12 pigs will be roasted to feed them, I mean us. After seeing the pork roasting set up, I am so going. It's almost as good as mooncakes :mrgreen:
... This wouldn't happen to be in WESTERN MA would it? There's a good chance it could be in my neighborhood, lol.

Sep 23rd, '10, 11:58
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Sep 23rd, '10, 11:58

rabbit wrote:
gingkoseto wrote:To me moon festival is like a Chinese Thanksgiving. Every culture has something like this to celebrate the harvest season. Something else of this kind that I can think of is the October Festival of German. This afternoon we passed by a Porto Rico farm in our neighborhood and they told us they will hold a harvest festival this weekend. There will be thousands of people there and 12 pigs will be roasted to feed them, I mean us. After seeing the pork roasting set up, I am so going. It's almost as good as mooncakes :mrgreen:
... This wouldn't happen to be in WESTERN MA would it? There's a good chance it could be in my neighborhood, lol.
Really! :D Maybe we are hometown fellows! I will PM the event info. :D
The festival is on Saturday, held by Nuestras Raices Farm of Holyoke, a nationally renowned organic city farm built up entirely by local Latino community. :D

Sep 23rd, '10, 12:08

by rabbit » Sep 23rd, '10, 12:08

gingkoseto wrote:
rabbit wrote:
Really! :D Maybe we are hometown fellows! I will PM the event info. :D
The festival is on Saturday, held by Nuestras Raices Farm of Holyoke, a nationally renowned organic city farm built up entirely by local Latino community. :D
Yeah... that's pretty much in my backyard, seriously, I can see the farm from my window! :)

Sep 23rd, '10, 12:41
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Sep 23rd, '10, 12:41

rabbit wrote: Yeah... that's pretty much in my backyard, seriously, I can see the farm from my window! :)
:o We were canoeing out of your window yesterday! :lol: I guess we will see each other on the fiesta then!

Aug 28th, '11, 01:45

by auhckw » Aug 28th, '11, 01:45

Suddenly remembered this thread... Time to revived this thread... Mooncake festival is around the corder.

Got this gift yesterday :)

+ Post Reply