Yunnan "Yi Mei Ren" Wu Liang Mountain Black Tea

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Sep 23rd, '10, 19:08

Yunnan "Yi Mei Ren" Wu Liang Mountain Black Tea

by PamEast » Sep 23rd, '10, 19:08

I got my order from Yunnan Sourcing this week. I had ordered the '10 Jinggu Golden Strand Pure Bud Yunnan Black tea hoping to find something comparable to the Yunnan Golden Curls or Yunnan Gold. I thought since I was ordering direct from china I should get at least one other tea, and threw a very inexpensive Yunnan "Yi Mei Ren" Wu Liang Mountain Black Tea on to my order.

Well the Jinggu was something of a disapointment. It's on the sour side.

On the other hand, the cheap Mountain black tea was a very pleasant surprise. Hot, it's not bad. Not the best tea in my collection, but very palatable. But it's just lovely iced!

I've been hunting for a really good iced tea for months. I loved the Darjeeling #2 sample I got, but it was just too expensive for me to use for mass quantities of iced tea. The mountain black tea on the other hand fits very nicely into the iced tea budget.

I'm a happy camper!

Pam

Sep 23rd, '10, 19:27
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Yunnan "Yi Mei Ren" Wu Liang Mountain Black Tea

by Mr. Usaji » Sep 23rd, '10, 19:27

Sounds good. I have been wondering about the black tea at Yunnan Sourcing (especially because I've run out of dian hong, which is my favorite black tea).

Is "yi mei ren" actually some kind of oolong, given the name?

Sep 23rd, '10, 20:40

by laura99 » Sep 23rd, '10, 20:40

I received a sample of Yunnan "Yi Mei Ren" from Norbu Tea on my last order. Quite a bit different from other Yunnan's I have tried. Has a bit of a floral note to it. I can see that it would make a nice iced tea. I just made an order of it, I'll have to try it! Glad you found one that worked for you.

Sorry you did not like the Jinggu Golden Strand. I ordered some from Yunnan Sourcing a couple of months ago, and am enjoying it. They had run out, which is what led me to Norbu to try theirs out. Wonder if there was a difference in batches.

Sep 23rd, '10, 22:54

by nickE » Sep 23rd, '10, 22:54

PamEast wrote: Well the Jinggu was something of a disapointment. It's on the sour side.
Let it sit for a year or so and that'll go away. I have that problem with young Hongcha occasionally as well.

Also, I think Laura and I tried the Spring Jinggu while I believe you have the fall version. That could be the difference I guess.

Sep 24th, '10, 14:46

by PamEast » Sep 24th, '10, 14:46

Nicke,

Do I need to do anything special to "age" it? Or just seal up the bag tightly to keep moisture out, mark it with a "try again" date, and leave it alone for a year?

Thanks!

Pam

Sep 24th, '10, 15:54

by TwoPynts » Sep 24th, '10, 15:54

+ Post Reply