How to Brew Yerba Mate

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

How to Brew Yerba Mate

Postby rabbitsib » Sep 25th, '10, 15:45

I'm new to this whole yerba mate so I was wondering what is the easiest way to brew this tisane. Of coarse with all teas its a matter of taste but with a combination of different directions from numerous people here is directions that were presented:

Loose Mate Single 8oz Serving

Steep with a strainer or tea ball. Simply measure a 1 tbsp and splash with cool water to help preserve nutrients, then steep in hot (but not boiling) water for 3-4 minutes.

They say longer you steep is better and 150F is optimal for brewing.

Ok now that said I would like to know what your thoughts on how to brew the best cup of Yerba meta?
rabbitsib

Re: How to Brew Yerba Mate

Postby rabbit » Sep 25th, '10, 16:09

As with many tisanes you can steep it for as long as you want, it's really just personal preference.

The directions you posted sound about right.
rabbit

Postby Chip » Sep 25th, '10, 17:01

I recently heard that you can brew it pretty much like green tea?
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Sydney » Sep 26th, '10, 10:43

Chip wrote:I recently heard that you can brew it pretty much like green tea?

I've done this with a very high success rate. However, at the end of the day, I want mine in a gourd.

Fill the gourd half full (-ish), fill with water between 140 and 160 F, and go nuts.
Sydney

Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Postby RaynBeatle » Sep 26th, '10, 12:59

1 1/2 teaspoons per cup at about 210 Fahrenheit for 5-6 minutes.
RaynBeatle

Postby Shambles » Oct 2nd, '10, 15:26

As far as I'm concerned, the most convenient way is to use a one-person coffee press. Three or four heaped teaspoons of mate, pour over some cold water, then fill it from the kettle. . . I find boiling water makes it taste bitter, hence the cold. I steep it for a couple of minutes, or I get impatient waiting.

Play with the variables according to taste, but I find a coffee press seems the best way to avoid having to deal with the leaves.
Shambles

Postby morningbus » Oct 11th, '10, 12:41

My method:

2 teaspoons per cup. Temperature close to Oolong (approximately 175F). Brew in a french press for about 8 minutes. The splash of cold water is mostly optional if you can control the temperature of the hot water.

You can also make yerba mate in an espresso machine. Use about 4 teaspoons, add a splash of cold water on top of it, and pull a long double shot.
morningbus

Instant Messenger

Permissions