TeaSpring's Song Zhong Dancong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Oct 4th, '10, 17:30

TeaSpring's Song Zhong Dancong

by ummaya » Oct 4th, '10, 17:30

Right now I am drinking one of my preferred tea, a cup of Milan Dancong AAA from Jing Tea. I am very tempted to try their Song Zhong Dancong but it is quite expensive (50g for $53.60) so I was thinking to give a try to the less pricey Song Zhong Dancong from TeaSpring ( 50g for $11.50)

It is quite cheap which makes me a bit suspicious. I placed my first TeaSpring's order a week ago and it is still on its way (some Shen Yun Tie Guan Yin and Emperor Long Jing) but until now I have never tried anything from them.
How is their relatively cheap Song Zhong Dancong compared to the pricey one from Jing Tea ?

Oct 4th, '10, 17:54

Re: TeaSpring's Song Zhong Dancong

by teaisme » Oct 4th, '10, 17:54

yeah I too have wondered about teasprings dancongs being so cheap

Oct 4th, '10, 21:57

by entropyembrace » Oct 4th, '10, 21:57

Jing Tea Shop usually has very good quality for it´s price points...so they´re not overpricing their tea...given that there´s no way the much cheaper Song Zhong from TeaSpring will compare to the one from Jing Tea Shop...it could still be good but it´s going to be large batch plantation tea....more like Jings everyday Milan Dancong.

Generally when buying tea you get what you pay for.

Oct 5th, '10, 01:11

by ummaya » Oct 5th, '10, 01:11

Jing Tea Shop usually has very good quality for it´s price points...so they´re not overpricing their tea...given that there´s no way the much cheaper Song Zhong from TeaSpring will compare to the one from Jing Tea Shop...it could still be good ....more like Jings everyday Milan Dancong

That's what I thought too...I guess that I have to buy the Song Zhong from Jing Tea if I want to taste the "real thing".

Generally when buying tea you get what you pay for.
Most of the time,yes. I was just hopping that maybe the TeaSpring's cheaper Song Zhong was one of the few exceptions to the rule :wink:

Oct 5th, '10, 13:19

by Oni » Oct 5th, '10, 13:19

I tried all the Dancongs from Teaspring, and I have tried Mi LAn from Jing, and Teasprings are way inferior than Jings, they are cheap commercial DC`s, but as I learned recently Dancongs are either low quality or real single bush very high quality teas, so what is cheap it is likely to be bad, and which is from Jing teashop and Teahabitat are super high quality for a very high price.

Oct 5th, '10, 16:10

by ummaya » Oct 5th, '10, 16:10

Oni wrote: Teahabitat are super high quality for a very high price.
Do you mean the teas from this page ?: http://www.teahabitat.com/store/index.p ... Path=26_16

90g for $25 is not so expensive; of course it is twice the price of the cheapest Dan Cong from TeaSpring but almost the same as their Song Zhong.

I would like to pick one or two among the Dan Cong from this page of Tea Habitat. Since the price is the same for all, it is not a parameter for making my choice, so should I make a blind buy or do you have a special recommendation?

Oct 5th, '10, 16:16

by entropyembrace » Oct 5th, '10, 16:16

The Single Tree private stash section on Tea Habitat is where you will find the expensive dancongs :) http://www.teahabitat.com/store/index.p ... mnn4o5ad33

Oct 5th, '10, 16:20

by ummaya » Oct 5th, '10, 16:20

entropyembrace wrote:The Single Tree private stash section on Tea Habitat is where you will find the expensive dancongs :) http://www.teahabitat.com/store/index.p ... mnn4o5ad33

Oops! :shock:

Oct 5th, '10, 16:48

by ummaya » Oct 5th, '10, 16:48

OK...I think that I have recovered from the shock :wink:

The truth is that this made me very curious and very eager to taste these very pricey teas. If they are of very high quality then I guess they will give more tasty infusions than cheaper teas.

I am ready to try 30g of two among the Single Tree Private Stash. Any special recommendation?

Oct 5th, '10, 17:23

by mr. Less » Oct 5th, '10, 17:23

how are teahabitats commercial grade dancongs?

i can imagine they are not as good as their single bush, but would they stand up to the dc's offered by jingteashop for instance

Oct 5th, '10, 17:35

by ummaya » Oct 5th, '10, 17:35

mr. Less wrote:how are teahabitats commercial grade dancongs?

i can imagine they are not as good as their single bush, but would they stand up to the dc's offered by jingteashop for instance
I still would like to try the very pricey from Tea Habitat but I have also wondered about the Tea Habitat commercial compared to Jing Tea DC.

Oct 6th, '10, 00:22

by debunix » Oct 6th, '10, 00:22

Imen recommended two of her oolongs for my first time purchase: Bai Xian Dan Cong, and Honey Orchid Phoenix Oolong (the commercial grade). I recently bought some of the Dan Cong version of the Honey Orchid, without realizing the difference, and when I first brewed it I was very surprised by the sudden intensification of the flavors. I like both versions, and the commercial grade tea was easily as interesting as the various Wuyi oolongs I'd been drinking about the same time, delicious, but everything toned down a notch from the Dan Cong version.

Oct 6th, '10, 01:40

by Tead Off » Oct 6th, '10, 01:40

ummaya wrote:

I still would like to try the very pricey from Tea Habitat but I have also wondered about the Tea Habitat commercial compared to Jing Tea DC.
Why not try both? Then you will really know the differences. I will also suggest the DC's from East Teas in London. They come in 20g packets. Emperor's Tribute and Peach Nut are outstanding to me. I liked them more than Jing's but Jing's are good. It's the commercial DC's you have to wary of. When they are bad, they are very bad. Some of the worst teas I've ever had.

Oct 6th, '10, 02:12

by ummaya » Oct 6th, '10, 02:12

Unbelievable! When started to drink loose tea leaves about three years ago I had no problem to buy 100g of good quality Sencha for $25 or $30 but the first time that I was tempted to drink some pricey "Kame-Jiru-Shi" Gyokuro, my reaction was: what, $30 for 50g? No way!

Look at me now, I am ready to pay $42 or more to taste 30g of Single Bush Dan Cong... Scary! :shock:

Oct 6th, '10, 03:50

by mr. Less » Oct 6th, '10, 03:50

Tead Off wrote:
ummaya wrote:

Why not try both? Then you will really know the differences. I will also suggest the DC's from East Teas in London. They come in 20g packets. Emperor's Tribute and Peach Nut are outstanding to me. I liked them more than Jing's but Jing's are good. It's the commercial DC's you have to wary of. When they are bad, they are very bad. Some of the worst teas I've ever had.

Thanxs for the tip Tead off
in the past i bought some of imen single bush dc and it was great!
but i am on a little budget now, so i am hoping hers commercial grade will still be quite enjoyable.
but you are right , normally the commercial cheap grades are really nasty teas, i normally dont throw tea away, but in some bad dc cases.... :D

will be checking out eastteas (or postcardteas) soon.

+ Post Reply