Tea in Penang

Learn about tea-related establishments open across the world.

Tea in Penang

Postby Herb_Master » Oct 5th, '10, 14:39

I copy an Email from Hui who works at Hojo in Kuala Lumpur. Hui was born and bred in Penang, found her love of tea whilst a young girl in Penang and still has a lot of family and tea contacts in Penang.

"How are you? Sorry if this letter comes a bit late. Last few days we were very busy in the shop due to holiday, I hope this letter still manage to provide the info you need on time.

About tea shops to visit in Penang, I would like to suggest that you go to Campbell street because there are a few Chinese tea shops located there, mostly selling pu-erh and Da Hong Pao.

Also, you can visit Shuang Tian tea shop nearby Cititel Penang.

Next to the snake temple, there is a small tea shop selling lots of light fermented Tie Guan Yin.

Inside Queensbay Shopping Mall, there is a tea shop too.

I can't comment on the quality of the tea they are selling because I have not visited those place for a long time, it's up to you to find out. After all, visiting teashops are like treasure hunting, you'll never know what you'll find :)

If you wish to take a lazy afternoon tea at a traditional Chinese tea house, try visit Qing Huan Tea House in Pulau Tikus. Here are the details:
Address: 7, Lorong Kuching, Pulau Tikus, 10350 Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Tel: +604 2278988 , HP: +6012 5613705
Opening Hours:Tuesday to Sunday, 11am - 11pm

As for where are good place to eat, I can suggest a few halal places for both of you to go.

1) Banana Leaf Rice
Where to go : Passions of Kerala, Burmese Square ( behind Northern Hotel )
opening hours : 11am-3pm, 6pm-11pm

2) Laksa
Where to go : Nan Guang Coffeeshop, 67 Jalan Balik Pulau
opening hours : 7am-12noon
OR
Laksa Ayer Itam, near junction of Jalan Pasar & Jalan Balik Pulau (at the entrance towards Kek Lok Si Temple.)

3) Nasi Kandar (tired of Nasi Lemak? try the Indian muslim's version of Nasi Lemak)
Where to go : Restaurant Tajuddin Hussein in Little India, 49 Queen Street, 10200 Penang
tip: try out the soup kambing(goat soup)
opening hours : 24 hours

Hope you find the tips useful. Have a good trip in Langkawi and Penang :)

cheers,
Hui

"
Herb_Master

Re: Tea in Penang

Postby auhckw » Oct 5th, '10, 20:55

Nice info even for a Malaysian :)
auhckw

Re: Tea in Penang

Postby Tead Off » Oct 6th, '10, 01:20

Hone Jia Trading
Prima Tanjung Business Centre
98-1-17 Jalan Fettes
Penang
Sunny Khor-owner

This is a highly recommended vendor given to me by oldmanteapot who lives in Penang.

To comment further on Hojo's taste test routine, he explained to me that even just a few moments in a vessel was enough to affect the tea, hence using the different clays as pouring vessels rather than brewing vessels. When the tea is brewed in the same glass pot, there is no chance of it being different and all variations are eliminated until it is poured into the different vessels to distribute to the porcelain cups. When this was performed for us, the differences were great. Both my wife and myself could clearly distinguish real differences. We didn't always agree on the differences but that's what marriage is about, right? :lol: The Xfactor is always present. This is why scientists always say that whatever is observed is changed by the observer. :idea: Deep.
Tead Off
Vendor Member

Instant Messenger

Permissions