Taiwanese Sun-Moon Lake Black

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Oct 5th, '10, 18:49

Re: Taiwanese Sun-Moon Lake Black

by spot52 » Oct 5th, '10, 18:49

My first experience with this tea has been lackluster at best. It reminded me of Twinings Ceylon. Which is not a bad thing, but it is also not an exciting thing either. Maybe after a few cups I will see things differently.

Oct 5th, '10, 20:58

by TokyoB » Oct 5th, '10, 20:58

spot52 - There are several teas that are sold as Sun-Moon Lake Black. Which one did you get? Taiwan cultivar #18 is the one that has the wintergreen flavor. The one sold by Essence of Tea is an Assam and doesn't have the wintergreen flavor of #18. It is good for a basic black but not that complex.

Oct 6th, '10, 01:33

by Tead Off » Oct 6th, '10, 01:33

spot52 wrote:My first experience with this tea has been lackluster at best. It reminded me of Twinings Ceylon. Which is not a bad thing, but it is also not an exciting thing either. Maybe after a few cups I will see things differently.
The one from Essence of Tea I find to be excellent. A lot depends on how you brew it. I find this tea comes alive in clay teapot rather than porcelain. Being an Assam, it doesn't have that fruitiness Darjeelings are not for but its body is thicker, sweeter, smoother with lovely malty notes. Huge leaves and purported to be organically grown. I would buy this tea again.

Oct 6th, '10, 15:40

by spot52 » Oct 6th, '10, 15:40

Tead Off wrote:
spot52 wrote:My first experience with this tea has been lackluster at best. It reminded me of Twinings Ceylon. Which is not a bad thing, but it is also not an exciting thing either. Maybe after a few cups I will see things differently.
The one from Essence of Tea I find to be excellent. A lot depends on how you brew it. I find this tea comes alive in clay teapot rather than porcelain. Being an Assam, it doesn't have that fruitiness Darjeelings are not for but its body is thicker, sweeter, smoother with lovely malty notes. Huge leaves and purported to be organically grown. I would buy this tea again.
And what were your brewing parameters?

Oct 6th, '10, 15:45

by teaisme » Oct 6th, '10, 15:45

spot52 wrote:My first experience with this tea has been lackluster
where did you get yours from?

Oct 6th, '10, 22:42

by spot52 » Oct 6th, '10, 22:42

churng wrote:
spot52 wrote:My first experience with this tea has been lackluster
where did you get yours from?
It was a gift. I do not know where it came from. But I do not smell the wintergreen thing, so I assume it is the other one.

Oct 8th, '10, 00:06

by Tead Off » Oct 8th, '10, 00:06

spot52 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
And what were your brewing parameters?
I don't measure the amount of tea. I eyeball the amount in a bamboo scoop and used maybe 2-3g into 160ml clay pot for about 1 minute. Off the boil, btw. Can be brewed a few times. Lovely tea.

Oct 11th, '10, 21:38
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Oct 11th, '10, 21:38

I am going to confess that I don't have the temerity to read all 7 pages about this.

But I find the Competition Grade #18 from Red Blossom quite tasty.

Has anyone had #16? I've heard it is much harder to come by.

Oct 12th, '10, 22:00

by TokyoB » Oct 12th, '10, 22:00

brandon wrote:I am going to confess that I don't have the temerity to read all 7 pages about this.

But I find the Competition Grade #18 from Red Blossom quite tasty.

Has anyone had #16? I've heard it is much harder to come by.
I have not had #16. I had #20 from IShopO - not that interesting.

Oct 13th, '10, 13:24

by teaisme » Oct 13th, '10, 13:24

TokyoB wrote:I had #20 from IShopO - not that interesting.
Yeah there #20 is not representative of what a good #20 would taste like.

Oct 13th, '10, 14:27

by TokyoB » Oct 13th, '10, 14:27

churng wrote:
TokyoB wrote:I had #20 from IShopO - not that interesting.
Yeah there #20 is not representative of what a good #20 would taste like.
Churng,
Who sells a good #20?

Oct 13th, '10, 14:40

by teaisme » Oct 13th, '10, 14:40

The sun moon lake blacks that I get are sent by a family member who lives in puli or bought locally when I go visit over there.
I haven't tried any other online vendors yet besides the sample from ishopo.

If you would like I could go dig around for the tins, which have contact info so you could try and get in touch with them yourself?
Also a pretty big company over there called 'hugo assam tea farm' sells pretty good stuff at very decent prices roughly $300 NT for 50-75g Tin. They have a wide range of assam taiwan blacks. Maybe you might find #16 too.

I bet if you contacted them you could arrange some kind of shipment.

Oct 13th, '10, 18:29

by nickE » Oct 13th, '10, 18:29

Just finished trying EoT's Sun Moon Lake black. Loving it so far.

I'm a sucker for nice leaves, these are gorgeous; long, twisted, most are fully intact. The dry leaves smell much like an Assam.

The tea itself tastes great. The malt is pretty in-your-face but the other flavors are very subtle. Very robust taste, with caramel and a sweet huigan in which I picked up some mint.

It's really full in the mouth, tastes like a cross between an Assam and a Yunnan Hongcha to me, not that I know what I'm talking about. :lol:

Gongfu'd I got about 9-10 infusions. It's not rough on the wallet either, $8/50g.

Feb 3rd, '11, 17:42

by teaisme » Feb 3rd, '11, 17:42

damn the tsa

they didn't mess with any of my other teas except for this type
3 canisters were opened and the seals were pealed off.
One bag of 150g was crushed decently on one side....... :twisted: I hate you tsa

To clarify/restate some things I have discovered...
black tea cultivars present around the area of sun moon lake (that I know of)

#8 (assam) and #18 (ruby, or red jade) can taste very similar depending on who is doing the processing

Not all tea grown in the region is organic (most is actually not, expect to pay almost twice as much for certified organic versions if bought locally)

Sep 26th, '11, 18:00

by NOESIS » Sep 26th, '11, 18:00

3g of tea (from EoT) in 90ml porcelain gaiwan. 1.5 min initial infusion using 200-ish F spring water. 2.5 min second and 4 min third steeps. A very smooth Assam black tea without any trace of harshness.

+ Post Reply