Learning a new language because of tea?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Have you considered, or are you already learning a new language because of tea?

Yes, I'm going to learn/I'm learning Chinese
12%
Yes, I'm going to learn/I'm learning Japanese
6%
Yes, I'm going to learn/I'm learning some other language (specify below)
18%
Yes, I'm going to learn/I'm learning several languages (specify below)
6%
I'm learning either Chinese or Japanese but tea has nothing to do with it
24%
No
35%

Total votes: 17

Oct 8th, '10, 20:37

Learning a new language because of tea?

by Tobias » Oct 8th, '10, 20:37

Has your tea drinking inspired you to learn a new language?

Oct 8th, '10, 21:13
Vendor Member

Re: Learning a new language because of tea?

by IPT » Oct 8th, '10, 21:13

Well, tea inspired me to move to China, so I guess you could say it inspired me to learn Chinese.

Oct 9th, '10, 05:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Oct 9th, '10, 05:34

Bahasa Melayu - Malaysian - but I am not picking it up very quickly.

Many tea shops speak good English: the chains and internationally aware shops like Hojo, Purple Cane and Evergreen; but the real finds backwater shops that have been plying their trade for 50 years only speak Chinese and Bahasa Melayu.

If I tried to learn Chinese and not Malay my GF would be extremely disappointed in me.

If I tried to learn Chinese which brand of Chinese would I learn - the names and pronunciations of Tea Names that I use in 1 shop are totally unintelligble in another - depending on whether the owners are originally from Guangdong, Beijing, Yunnan or Harbin.

Harbin - oh yes between tea sessions I often indulge in Foot Massage and all the staff seem to come from the very North, but getting a good cup of tea from them or asking them to brew some of mine can be difficult even though they know the English for every part of my body.

Oct 9th, '10, 07:56

by alan logan » Oct 9th, '10, 07:56

interest in chinese tea has lead me to learn some chinese characters and associations of characters, not only to be able to recognize them, but also to understand the idea they convey (in certain cases there is no direct translation anyway, we would have to make a phonetic adaptation of the word in our langages or use pin yin word, which btw happens already). then I got interested in very general notions on chinese langage (syntax eg), that do not enable me to speak chinese yet :mrgreen:. I have also learnt very basic phrases out of curiosity, and if i ever go to China of course i would make the effort to learn at least other basic phrases and words because it is more polite to the people you visit to be able to say something in their langage, even if you are far from conversational level (the japanese tourists in paris nearly always say smth in english or french, and it is very nice, very attentionate, well sometimes you are not even sure what they are saying exactly, but the simple fact that they tried is a huge step in relationship). I seem to have noticed many asian people show great flexibility and langage skills, eg members from HK or chinese members here speak and write amazing english. I must say this too is an encouragement to me, I mean, if they can go to such different langage and writing system, maybe I can do it too :wink:

but, learning the langage and understanding the products are two different things. just like speaking french does not make anyone a connoisseur in french wine, having a whole list of chinese (or japanese) tea terms is not per se the signature of any kind of knowledge/expertise as for tea.

Oct 9th, '10, 09:02

by auhckw » Oct 9th, '10, 09:02

I vote No

Because of tea, I use more Google Translator than before :)

Oct 9th, '10, 11:34
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Oct 9th, '10, 11:34

Tea motivated me to learn English better. :D I think learning a language is very hard. So English is new to me every day :D
In my day job, I write in English all the time, but mostly technical stuff that people read because they need to. I write a lot in Chinese in a more leisure way. But I don't have much clue on how to write in English to a general audience. Since I started writing about tea in English, I took a writing class and constantly consult with friends who are good at writing. They gave me homework that I never expected to do or wanted to do :shock: but it eventually helped me enjoy writing more.

Oct 9th, '10, 13:58

by Victoria » Oct 9th, '10, 13:58

Well the LANGUAGE of TEA. :) Correct pronunciation of so many teas from many countries. And being forced into learning metric weights and measures. Which by the way, years ago we were told that we here in the USA were switching over to, but nothing has been mentioned since.

But no, no real pursuit of learning a new language. Just enough to get by for travel and I'm happy.

Oct 9th, '10, 19:23

by entropyembrace » Oct 9th, '10, 19:23

Not really...obviously I´ve learned a few tea related terms in other languages but I dont think that counts.

I am attempting to learn Spanish...would be easier if I could spend more time in Mexico...but that has everything to do with love, and nothing to do with tea. :D

Oct 10th, '10, 02:20

by the_economist » Oct 10th, '10, 02:20

Victoria wrote:Well the LANGUAGE of TEA. :) Correct pronunciation of so many teas from many countries. And being forced into learning metric weights and measures. Which by the way, years ago we were told that we here in the USA were switching over to, but nothing has been mentioned since.

But no, no real pursuit of learning a new language. Just enough to get by for travel and I'm happy.
i have no idea why the US persists in refusing to use metric weights lol. i'll measure my gaiwan in ml thanks :)

Oct 16th, '10, 16:05

by Leo_Blue » Oct 16th, '10, 16:05

I am planning on starting to learn Mandarin Chinese within the next year. I took some Japanese classes in school, but I was no where near conversational level and I have forgotten much of what I knew... :oops:
Tea has reawakened my love of Japanese culture, and given me a new love of Chinese culture. I definitely plan on learning those two languages to better my knowledge of tea and improve my communication abilities with the people from those countries. It would seem rude not to learn the language of the birthplace of tea.

Oct 17th, '10, 02:43

by mbanu » Oct 17th, '10, 02:43

I'd like to learn Tamil.

+ Post Reply