How many Kyusu do you own? And bonus question, how many do you use? So, 2 answers are permitted.

20%
2-3
22%
4-5
10%
6-7
3%
8-10
2%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%
I USE 1
14%
2-3
15%
4-5
5%
6-7
1%
8-10
1%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%

Total votes: 442

Oct 9th, '10, 12:06
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by Stentor » Oct 9th, '10, 12:06

With Gyokuro in tiny pots, isn't it a problem that the leaves expand after a few infusions considering the amount of leaf to be used with the traditional brewing method? I know it's supposed to be prepared in the smallest of tea pots but I was wondering about this.
I mean, isn't a 120 ml pot filled to the rim with wet expanded tea leaves after two steeps with 3 oz of water and about 6 g of tea (I've seen some vendors recommend 10 g of tea for 2 oz of water)?

It seems a nice hohin is much harder to come by than a kyusu. I haven't really seen too many of them and I haven't found too many available for purchase online either.
Where's the "Ode to the Hohin" thread? ;) Would be nice to see some in their natural habitat.

Oct 9th, '10, 12:10

by Mrs. Chip » Oct 9th, '10, 12:10

Stentor wrote:Where's the "Ode to the Hohin" thread? ;) Would be nice to see some in their natural habitat.
Great Idea Stentor!!! I know there are many photos in 'Show Off Your Pots', but all together in one spot just might work.

Oct 9th, '10, 12:13

by Chip » Oct 9th, '10, 12:13

Actually there are some houjin in this topic. :mrgreen: A houjin is a specialized kyusu, and a kyusu is simply a teapot. Although it is pretty common to simply refer to the side handle pot as kyusu since they are the most common.

Searching for houjin is also complicated by the numerous spellings. But they are around. ArtisticNippon has several very nice ones, and they are easy to find on ebay.

For a high quality gyo, I usually use 2 grams per ounce of water. So, 3 ounces would require 6 grams. In a houjin there is ample room for expansion, and since the tradtional method calls for much cooler water, it is advantagous not to have too large a pot ...

Oct 9th, '10, 12:15

by olivierco » Oct 9th, '10, 12:15

Stentor wrote:With Gyokuro in tiny pots, isn't it a problem that the leaves expand after a few infusions considering the amount of leaf to be used with the traditional brewing method? I know it's supposed to be prepared in the smallest of tea pots but I was wondering about this.
I mean, isn't a 120 ml pot filled to the rim with wet expanded tea leaves after two steeps with 3 oz of water and about 6 g of tea (I've seen some vendors recommend 10 g of tea for 2 oz of water)?
No problem. I use 7-8g of gyokuro and pour water to cover the leaves.
Stentor wrote: It seems a nice hohin is much harder to come by than a kyusu. I haven't really seen too many of them and I haven't found too many available for purchase online either.
You can easily find nice houhins on ebay (I bought seven of my houhins there, all of them with matching cups and yusamashi). Most of the time described as "sencha teasets" or "sencha tools"

Oct 9th, '10, 16:56

by britt » Oct 9th, '10, 16:56

Stentor wrote:With Gyokuro in tiny pots, isn't it a problem that the leaves expand after a few infusions considering the amount of leaf to be used with the traditional brewing method? I know it's supposed to be prepared in the smallest of tea pots but I was wondering about this.
I use a Hokujo shiboradashi for gyokuro that is 2.8 ounces. I use 1/2 tablespoon of leaf, which does expand significantly. However, the total volume of the two cups (combined) that came with the set is only 1.6 ounces. This is how much water I use, so there is always plenty of room in the shiboradashi for this volume of water even when the leaves have fully expanded.

Toru of AN told me when I puchased this that it was built by Hokujo to the specifications supplied by a professional gyokuro buyer. I assume he accounted for the expansion when he submitted his design to Hokujo, based on the larger volume of the shiboradashi compared to the total volume of the two cups. Just a guess, but it does work well when used this way.

Oct 9th, '10, 17:56

by Buzz Fledderjohn » Oct 9th, '10, 17:56

britt wrote: I use a Hokujo shiboradashi for gyokuro that is 2.8 ounces. I use 1/2 tablespoon of leaf, which does expand significantly. However, the total volume of the two cups (combined) that came with the set is only 1.6 ounces. This is how much water I use, so there is always plenty of room in the shiboradashi for this volume of water even when the leaves have fully expanded.

Toru of AN told me when I puchased this that it was built by Hokujo to the specifications supplied by a professional gyokuro buyer. I assume he accounted for the expansion when he submitted his design to Hokujo, based on the larger volume of the shiboradashi compared to the total volume of the two cups. Just a guess, but it does work well when used this way.
I was lucky enough to share some gyokuro with Toru at the AN shop and that was the same shiboridashi that he used.

Oct 22nd, '10, 14:33

by nickE » Oct 22nd, '10, 14:33

160ml Tobikanna by Gyokko.

Loving this pot, pours well, easy to clean, and small. :D

Oct 22nd, '10, 16:10

by Victoria » Oct 22nd, '10, 16:10

Such a sweet pot, love it! Congrats!

Oct 23rd, '10, 16:41

by nickE » Oct 23rd, '10, 16:41

Victoria wrote:Such a sweet pot, love it! Congrats!
Thanks! :D

Oct 23rd, '10, 16:49

by debunix » Oct 23rd, '10, 16:49

I have one that is very similar size/shape/color, although not as wonderfully decorated, and I love it. Yours, however, is leading to some teapot envy.....!

Oct 27th, '10, 15:01

by exquisite » Oct 27th, '10, 15:01

The newest (and most beautiful) member of the family, the Teruyuki Isobe Gray Unryu, just arrived today from japanesehandcraft. (A piece that haunted my dreams for the last 2 weeks). Unglazed functional simplicity with a touch of zen design from an artist I deeply admire. 7.7 oz (230 ml) capacity so it will proudly brew only high-grade sencha. Sorry for the low-quality pics, hope I´ll have time for a detailed review very soon.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (50.12 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (44.53 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (55.71 KiB) Viewed 1846 times

Oct 28th, '10, 17:50

by britt » Oct 28th, '10, 17:50

exquisite wrote:The newest (and most beautiful) member of the family, the Teruyuki Isobe Gray Unryu, just arrived today from japanesehandcraft. (A piece that haunted my dreams for the last 2 weeks). Unglazed functional simplicity with a touch of zen design from an artist I deeply admire. 7.7 oz (230 ml) capacity so it will proudly brew only high-grade sencha. Sorry for the low-quality pics, hope I´ll have time for a detailed review very soon.
Great choice!

I bought a very similar kyusu a while back as soon as I saw it posted on Japanese Handcraft. I was always curious about Teruyuki kyusu because they looked so meticulously crafted, but I never purchased one before because they always had flowers and geometric designs on them. They were very well done, but not to my taste. I liked the gray unryu so much that I purchased a gray one with red mogake-type lines on it when it was posted soon after. I like that one just as much. What I didn't realize when I purchased the second one was that it was an exhibition piece. It was the same price as the first one I purchased.

I've found the Teruyuki's to be extremely thin and light, especially considering their fairly large size. They seem to be meticulously crafted right down to the last detail. They have large sasame filters, as your pics show, and I have had no clogging issues. I only wish that Teruyuki would make more of this type and less with the flower designs.

These are the three Teruyuki's I purchased from JHC:

Oct 28th, '10, 21:46

by exquisite » Oct 28th, '10, 21:46

Wow, britt, it seems we have very similar taste in teaware, or , if I can say so, our teaminds think alike. I perfectly agree with you on the fact that Teruyuki is unique in his designs, and indeed, it is very hard for me to understand why does he "ruins" his artwork with excessive decoration sometimes. :D Or maybe people like us are too specific in what we need/like and consider functionality as a defining part of the aesthetics, and that´s a bit too minimalistic for others. I think the most impressive about this artists´ pots is the "perfect" balance between elegance, solidity and function. Its almost confusing to hold something in your hand that looks so fragile but feels so strong (well built).
I fantasize about a houhin or a shiboridashi crafted in the same style and wonder if it would be possible to contact the artist and ask if he would try
his hand on this type of teaware.
I absolutely love your pieces, especially the first one. What´s the capacity it holds?
The only other tempting Teruyuki I saw is this one from artisticnippon , unfortunately it is too big for me to use it (420ml seems huge) otherwise I would get it asap.
Cheers!
unryu_thumb.jpg
unryu_thumb.jpg (2.72 KiB) Viewed 1804 times

Nov 17th, '10, 17:01

by Seeker » Nov 17th, '10, 17:01

I've really been enjoying seeing all of the wonderful and gorgeous kyusu's here.
My apologies for not posting more - been busy with life of late, and have only had time for posts on a couple of topics. But I sneak peaks here.

Just acquired a new kyusu, thought i'd post a pic.
From Hojo tea, about 8oz. Had my eye on this one for awhile - just couldn't get it out of my mind.
took this shot in my homemade cardboard and tissue paper lightbox.

I haven't broken in a new kyusu in awhile, and I'm curious how y'all break yours in?

Also to any master ceramicists - should I be at all concerned about the pink clay?

Cheers!

Nov 17th, '10, 22:58

by Chip » Nov 17th, '10, 22:58

It has been a while since I posted here ... but have been checking it out nevertheless.

Great kyusu-s everyone!

Seeker, just looked at that on Hojo's site.

+ Post Reply