OTTI Round 6 TGY, however you spell it.

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI Round 6 TGY, however you spell it.

Postby brandon » Oct 10th, '10, 19:35

Broke my own rule and decided to make #3 in a much different way - employing a 150ml porcelain teapot.

Does anyone else find this one to taste sweeter?
brandon

Postby Drax » Oct 10th, '10, 20:01

I was fortunate enough to get my package of TGY on Saturday; living a stone's throw from Chip doesn't hurt!

I was able to try #5 and #4 today, and I have to say, I have had a near identical experience to rhondabee! Well, except for the potato part. :D

The sort of grassiness that I faintly thought I tasted in #5 has gone completely in #4, which is more of a typical sweet orchid. #4 ramped up the flavor slightly from #5 (or so it seemed), but it is still a bit under my preference (at the 1g/1oz level).

I'm going to hit the other 3 tomorrow. Can't wait!
Drax

Postby nickE » Oct 10th, '10, 22:00

Brewed up the 5th grade today! Quite nice, the main points of interest here are mouthfeel & aftertaste. Definitely not an explosion of flavor or anything, but very relaxing, calming.

The leaves were slightly torn, some pieces and some intact. The whole process smelled wonderful; dry leaves, warmed leaves, gaiwan lid, tea liquor.

Looking forward to trying the others. :D

Oh yeah, brewing paramters:
    4g/60ml gaiwan
    full boil
    rinse, 10s, 15s, etc.
nickE

Postby IPT » Oct 10th, '10, 22:21

I'm so happy you guys are enjoying this OTTI. I really value reading your comments!

Have a spectacular day!
IPT
Vendor Member

Postby TwoPynts » Oct 11th, '10, 10:14

Darn Columbus Day! :(

It is fun reading the tasting notes--I'm looking forward to getting my samples, hopefully tomorrow!
TwoPynts

Postby Drax » Oct 11th, '10, 20:41

I'm currently enjoying #1, having made my way through 3 and 2 earlier today. Throughout, I brewed the tea in my ~120ml gaiwan, using ~4g. I did 30 second rinses, 30 second rests, and then brewed at 1m, 1m, 2m, 4-5min, 7-10min.

Keeping these parameters steady throughout the series, I found the flavor "dial" to be cranked up as I progressed (not surprising). The level of flavor at #2 and #1 is about where I prefer my oolongs. Granted, I could probably brew the lower graders longer, or add more tea, but that wasn't the point for me. Although I admit that I enjoyed the lower grades as a bit of 'tease,' they were also a nice way to enjoy the orchid/floral quality of the tea.

The #3 really cranked in a buttery quality that I was not expecting, almost reminding me of some Japanese greens. I quickly found myself only really tasting this tea in the aftertaste, though. #2 seemed to tip the scale back toward the floral/orchid quality, while #1 seemed to bring them both (the buttery orchid) forward like an avalanche.

With #2 and #1, I found that I could have brewed beyond the 5, while the earlier ones, the tea was pretty much spent at the 5th infusion.

Anyway, those are my simple thoughts on these amazing tea. I really enjoyed this first run-through. I am going to wait for more comment before I run through the series again w/ the remaining sample to focus on what other people point out.

One question -- I found it hard to tell quality of the tea from the look of the dried leaves. The aroma sort of followed my expectations, and the spent leaves as well, but the "before" picture... I wasn't sure what to be looking for. Thoughts?

My thanks to Chip and IPT for a great OTTI!
Drax

Postby IPT » Oct 11th, '10, 21:10

Thank you so much Drax,

I'm really glad you are enjoying this OTTI, but I just shipped the tea to Chip. He did all the work.

It can be quite difficult to tell the quality of a Tie Guanyin from the look. It takes a lot of practise. Basically, it all comes down to the aroma and flavor of the brewed tea.

Have an incredible day!
IPT
Vendor Member

Postby theory » Oct 11th, '10, 21:43

TwoPynts wrote:Darn Columbus Day! :(

It is fun reading the tasting notes--I'm looking forward to getting my samples, hopefully tomorrow!

Oh! Thats why I didn't get mail. (promptly puts head back down into grad school sand).

Tomorrow, tomorrow...
theory

Postby nickE » Oct 11th, '10, 23:41

4th grade!

Same parameters as last time, trying to stay consistent.

I definitely noticed the "eggy" taste that Brandon mentioned. I'm not really a big fan of this flavor, but it's not bad or anything. This tea also smells a little more herb-y, or spicy I guess, than the 5th grade. Nice mouthfeel, amazing lilac scent, fluorescent yellow liquor. Definitely more flavor than the 5th grade as well.

6 nice infusions gongfu'd.
nickE

Postby puerhking » Oct 12th, '10, 16:34

Got mine today. They are looking so professional now. Thanks to Adiagio for supplying the bags and thanks to Chip and his wife for taking the time and effort to provide such a deluxe service once again!

Oh yeah....can't wait to try them. :P
puerhking

Postby JRS22 » Oct 12th, '10, 16:58

My package arrived today. I immediately fired up the tea kettle and used #5 to practice brewing and drinking tea in my (very) small gaiwan. The gaiwan is very easy to handle, even though it's tiny.

I didn't realize I was supposed to rinse the leaves, so I hope there was nothing toxic on them. The flavor was pleasant but weak - probably because I used the wrong brewing parameter - water not hot enough, time not long enough and possibly not enough tea. Still, I enjoyed the first round and I'm looking forward to more tastings.

Thanks Mr and Mrs Chip for the organizing, packing and shipping.
JRS22

Postby TwoPynts » Oct 12th, '10, 17:08

My package arrived as well, thanks Mr. & Mrs. Chip!

#5 was brewed up today and I for one was impressed. If I didn't know the others were going to be even more delicious then I would have been happy with this one! Perhaps I should stop here and not get spoiled... :lol:

The slightly beat up looking leaves provided a lovely pale broth, delicate floral aroma, sweet floral tea. Light but enjoyable mouth feel. A very yummy oolong. I got 5 good infusions from it.

Tomorrow, #4!
TwoPynts

Postby rhondabee » Oct 12th, '10, 18:33

I tried grades 3 & 2 today at work using 120 ml gaiwan. The dry leaves of both grades had that fresh green herbal scent.

Grade 3: This seemed to be a bit more complex in scent to me that 4 & 5 grades. It was more floral along with the potato (orchid?) scent. There was again a slight sour scent/taste I enjoyed. The 3rd infusion was very buttery scented to me. Full mouth flavor and the flavor stayed strong in my mouth. I enjoyed this tea and it lasted 5 or 6 infusions for me.

Grade 2: This had a much more butter/potato scent with undercurrent of floralness. When the leaves cooled they smelled much more perfume-like. The second infusion had almost a sweet scent. The taste was very full, strong, almost creamy. I steeped this tea 6 times as of now, and will steep it some more as it still has flavor. Very nice.

Tomorrow I'll try 1st grade.
rhondabee

Postby Chip » Oct 12th, '10, 19:51

For some reason, I am really hungry for an Idaho spud with some butter. :lol:

I am happy happy happy to read everyone's comments. Thanks everyone and keep 'em comin' :!: :idea: :arrow:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby LauraW » Oct 12th, '10, 20:46

Got mine today!! Thinking about heating up some water now, didn't want to have the flavors of dinner distract me from tea. Thanks Chip!!
LauraW

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions