Bei Dou Yi Hao

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Oct 10th, '10, 20:22
Scrolling: scrolling

Bei Dou Yi Hao

by Herb_Master » Oct 10th, '10, 20:22

I started on Wuyi Yan Cha, like I guess most folks do, with Da Hong Pao, and quickly learned that others to look out for included Tie Luo Han, Shui Jin Gui, Bai Ji Guan and Shui Xian.

I tried these for a year or so, and found the Shui Jin Gui from Seven Cups (which was only available as a Light Roast) was far too light for me as where the other seven cups oolongs that I bought, this put me off Shui Jin Gui and Seven Cups altogether, maybe now I am older and a tiny bit wiser I may try them again sometime.

I tried amongst others Hou De's Shui Xian in a variety of aged and high roasted forms and found the taste of charcoal overpowering, but I still have much of that left and must revisit to see how time may have tempered them.

In between I tasted some ordinary and some exquisite DHP, and a passable Bai Ji Guan, and a variety of good rare cultivars from Dragon Tea House, all the while aware that I need to get a few Rou Gui's one day.

About a year ago or slightly more I became aware from a malaysian friend of 3 first generation children of DHP. Sparrow's Tongue, Strange Vermilion and North Star.

Latterly I have been sampling a number of Tie Luo Hans and love the thick, rich nature which is a great contrast to DHP - and with DHP and TLH being touted as the more robust and BJG and SJG being touted as the more delicate - I somehow convinced myself that children of DHP would be of the robust kind.

I purchased some Sparrow's Tongue from Jing UK and this did nothing to dispel that myth. This year I tried BDYH in Penang and was immediately disappointed with the tasting - thin, watery, some bitterness and greenery - but I was not sure if the "shop owner" was paying enough attention to the brewing - and this was late in the evening on my penultimate buying trip to malaysia. So I bought some :roll: :roll: :roll:

Wow, I love it :D :D :D

Tonight I brewed 6 grams in a 114 ml zhuni and gave it a 2 second rinse

1st Infusion 15 seconds
Sweet water, smooth and delicate, but a medium light good body and tongue coating texture. A whiff of perfume, a little hard to place and a nice warm delicate fruity feeling.

2nd Infusion 20 seconds
Again nice sweet water is the standout impression, but with an enhanced perfume - sort of cross between violets and blueberries, the aroma more noticeable as the tip of the tongue lifts up and down near the roof of the mouth when doing the final swallow.

3rd Infusion 25 seconds
Still sweet and very more-ish, with a warm spiciness appearing as an afterthought. Not Cinnamon, Not Cloves, Not Pepper but something like a delicate crosss between all 3.

4th Infusion 35 seconds
5th Infusion 50 seconds
6th Infusion 6 minutes

No matter what I do they all taste roughly the same, very drinkable, and thirst quenching and demanding I drink more, now perhaps their is a background dry fruit flavour like green plums, ever so slight but there somewhere.

7th Infusion 22 minutes
Very similar to the 6th :wink: but I think that is enough for these leaves.

WHAT do you experience with Bei Dou Yi Hao

Oct 10th, '10, 20:47

Re: Bei Dou Yi Hao

by britt » Oct 10th, '10, 20:47

Herb_Master wrote:I tried amongst others Hou De's Shui Xian in a variety of aged and high roasted forms and found the taste of charcoal overpowering, but I still have much of that left and must revisit to see how time may have tempered them.
I recently opened a package of Hou De's 2009 Da Hong Pao and was very impressed when I tried it. I wondered if sitting on a shelf for more than a year actually contibuted to my very positive impression of this tea. Unfortunately, since I didn't even open the package when I received it, I don't know what it tasted like in 2009.

Oct 10th, '10, 21:00

by nickE » Oct 10th, '10, 21:00

Thanks for sharing HM! :) Interesting read, I don't really know much about Yancha.

Oct 10th, '10, 21:09

by Herb_Master » Oct 10th, '10, 21:09

I purchased the BDYH from a shop in Penang but from every shop that I had gone to before whenever I asked for Bei Dou there was generally an air of mystery of what I was asking for, until one or two shopkeepers grasped what I meant and said with a broad smile :D :D
Aaaaah! Bei Dou Yi Hao :D

This particular shop was
Jing Yu Tong Industries Sdn Bhd
142 Campbell Street
Georgetown
Pulau Pinang

I visited on my first day in Penang and was hosted for a few minutes by an elderly lady - the conversation was stilted and little progress was made, but I did examine some little sculptures of Ba Xian - 8 Immortals which I rather fancied to be guardians of my tea table!Image

On my return on the last evening in Pinang a younger man who spoke fluent english entertained me, and while leisurely examining the 8 immortals, I wandered round the shop looking at all sorts of things with him in close attendance. ImageThe conversation got round to tea forums and online shopping. I told him I had purchased tea from Teacuppa, and he informed me that the person behind Teacuppa was a good friend and had sourced the majority of their tea from HIM, so the teas I bought 2 years ago were probably his. He also went on to relate that Teacuppa had now set up their own links with suppliers in China and were sourcing fewer teas from him in 2010 and very few for 2011 if any.

He said he was contemplating setting up an online sales enterprise and asked advice on what we look for in web sites and I said he must accept paypal and give absolutely as much detail as possible about each tea.

Finally with the purchase of the 8 immortals almost completed - I told him I was hopefully going to take some tea if he could let me taste one or two.

We got out some BDYH, some TLH and some Rou Gui.
went to tasting table, which was far less impressive than most tea shops that I visited Image

All the while we were talking, he kept using the first person singular, "my customers" "my shop" "my business" "I have supplied for 40 years"
:shock: :shock: :shock:
He did not look 40 years old to me, Image
[note the screens with a black background behind him - 8 immortals :D maybe I will go back for them in february :D :D ]Zaleha overheard the other couple speaking in Malay and informed me that his mother was the owner who had been in business for 40 years :D
But in many shops the (obviously) assistant kept using the first person singular - possibly a common practice among chinese sales staff??

Tasting the BDYH failed to inspire me, but as noted above I bought it, and some TLH but before the Rou Gui could be tried I was informed by Zaleha that I had overstayed my visit and WE were leaving.

I hurriedly picked out some cheap canisters that I wanted, the tea was sold loose, had lables placed on the 2 larger canisters with my BDH and TLH and had very nearly finished paying -
when
- -
- -
mother came over to check everything :(
he had missed invoicing me for a couple of items and mother made sure they were added to the bill!Image

Oct 12th, '10, 11:33

by pgho » Oct 12th, '10, 11:33

Hi HM, thanks for the review of your tea adventure in Georgetown ... nice to see something so close to home. Too bad you did not look up the locals for a cuppa or two, it would have been fun.

Oct 12th, '10, 12:08

by Herb_Master » Oct 12th, '10, 12:08

pgho wrote:Hi HM, thanks for the review of your tea adventure in Georgetown ... nice to see something so close to home. Too bad you did not look up the locals for a cuppa or two, it would have been fun.
I sent OldManTeapot a PM 2 months before I visited but unfortunately he still has not read it :(

I am visiting Kedah for the Chinese new year in february and hope to hop across on the Butterworth ferry for a couple of days just before or just after.

Did you see my post on Penang
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14058

Have you anything too add for visitors?

Oct 12th, '10, 12:51

by Alex » Oct 12th, '10, 12:51

Another great read. Many thanks

Oct 14th, '10, 15:08

by Oni » Oct 14th, '10, 15:08

Herb Master, I was looking at Dragon teahouse`s site and I saw their Wu YI rare ancient tree offerings, and I saw you mentioning "variety of good rare cultivars from Dragon Tea House" that you have tried some of those teas, I wanted to ask your opinion first, because they are a bit expencieve, but if those are great Wu Yi oolongs I would like to try some.

Oct 14th, '10, 17:32

by Herb_Master » Oct 14th, '10, 17:32

Oops

I used the phrase with the words "good" & "rare" because I enjoyed them and because I have never seen the varietals on any other site or reference book.

I did not consider them expensive, and they were not the ones marked as ancient.

Tipsy Concubine, Bush Lily, Stalactite etc.

They were very enjoyable but not outstanding. I would not rush out of my way to buy them again, but would enjoy a brew if someone offered me one of them. Indeed one day I may buy them again.

Now that you prompt me I have just had a closer look at DTH again, I see you must be referring to the dwarf Ancient"Ai Jiao" at £25 for 50gm, whereas the ones I bought roll in for about half that. I have not tried that.

I see he has a lot more Nonpareil Wuyi offerings now and know that you are a big fan of DTH nonpareil TGY - maybe that would be a better opportunity for you if you have a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket :P

Oct 15th, '10, 05:07

by Oni » Oct 15th, '10, 05:07

There are a lot of these teas, I would gladly try a 7 gram sample from all of them so I can decide which one should I buy in a larger quantity, the teas that are 1$/1 gram are a bit too expencieve for me, and there are so many teas out there that I need to try.

+ Post Reply