OTTI Round 6 TGY, however you spell it.

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI Round 6 TGY, however you spell it.

Postby Chip » Oct 13th, '10, 12:10

Thanks Tortoise!

Sorry you went more in reverse. The good news is, I think they are all very good in their own ways, so ... enjoy the rest!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby nickE » Oct 13th, '10, 13:51

Ok, time for the 3rd grade review.

The leaves again smell herb-y and fresh. The mouthfeel is great, it's really quite buttery. The liquor is also a much deeper yellow than the previous 2 grades.

The leaves were particularly shredded, however. I found only a few whole leaves and I had to use my strainer. Perhaps I got bottom-of-the-bag leaf in my sample? I haven't seen anyone else comment on this so it might be the case. Due to this, there was some bitterness that I wasn't really expecting that creeped up during infusions 3-5.

It was still a really nice tea, but I think I prefer the 4th grade.
nickE

Postby Chip » Oct 13th, '10, 14:12

nickE wrote:Ok, time for the 3rd grade review.

The leaves again smell herb-y and fresh. The mouthfeel is great, it's really quite buttery. The liquor is also a much deeper yellow than the previous 2 grades.

The leaves were particularly shredded, however. I found only a few whole leaves and I had to use my strainer. Perhaps I got bottom-of-the-bag leaf in my sample? I haven't seen anyone else comment on this so it might be the case. Due to this, there was some bitterness that I wasn't really expecting that creeped up during infusions 3-5.

It was still a really nice tea, but I think I prefer the 4th grade.

In order to prevent this, I actually poured the entire bag into a large bowl, and then scooped along the bottom each time so it should have been pretty even.

However perhaps I scooped the bottom a bit more "effectively" for yours. Sorry!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby rhondabee » Oct 13th, '10, 14:35

I tried grade 1 today. I found wet leaves had a very savory scent after the 1st infusion and on second infusion again what I call the potato scent, but you can call it "orchid". The actual flavor of the tea was very nice - floral, herby, buttery. I didn't keep count of the number infusions - I think 3-4 prior to lunch and I am continuing to drink it now. Leaves are mostly whole with torn/bitten edges. I'm very much enjoying this tea. I think I like grades 3 & 1 the best this first tasting.
rhondabee

Postby nickE » Oct 13th, '10, 18:12

Chip wrote:However perhaps I scooped the bottom a bit more "effectively" for yours. Sorry!

Oh, don't worry about it! :shock: :) I definitely still feel I got an accurate representation of the tea and am enjoying this OTTI fully.

Planning on trying grades 1 & 2 tomorrow. Gonna brew them at the same time or right in a row, not sure yet.
nickE

Postby the_economist » Oct 14th, '10, 00:39

had #4 and #3 today...

#4 is unbelievably eggy on the after-taste haha...i was extremely surprised at the strength of it. not entirely fond of it but its ok. taste is definitely stronger, but still not quite up to the other TGY i got from a friend.

#3 is pretty close to the TGY i have. i kinda think its slightly more roasted. also, the flavours are quite a step up from 5/4. i suspect i stewed the leaves toward the end after reboiling my water cos it suddenly became rather more vegetal.

looking forward to 2 and 1!
the_economist

Postby Geekgirl » Oct 14th, '10, 01:59

Started with #5 today, and while I don't have anything particularly pithy to say about it, I will comment that if this is the lowest grade of the group, I'm super impressed. I really liked this tea, and it gave me several good steeps, it likes the heat.

Good stuff!
Geekgirl

Re: #3 today

Postby TwoPynts » Oct 14th, '10, 11:45

I am having #3 today and am on the 3rd infusion. I used a bit more leaves than with #5 and #4 and they unfurled a bit quicker in the hot water when I rinsed them. It brews up darker and has a more pronounce orchid aroma. Also detecting more of the "butter and potatoes" other tasters have mentioned. It is smoother and fuller in the mouth, and has a more vegetative (not vegetable) flavor. A bit like a spring salad. I'm also getting a slight bitter hint I didn't with the others and not as much sweetness, but that could be because I used more leaves.

Another good one! :mrgreen:
TwoPynts

Postby Proinsias » Oct 14th, '10, 11:46

Number 4 today.

It seems stronger than no 5 and a little more durable, has more in the way of flavour but I think I prefer the number 5. Perhaps a little bit of eggyness but I don't find it very strong or off putting. This lingers down the back of the throat moreso than the grade 5 but seems to have lost some of the buttery mouthfeel I was enjoying. It's a more interesting tea than the no 5, but sometimes simple can be satisfying.

No problems with leaf particles so far. Just using a gaiwan straight to cup atm and there is almost nothing in the way of stray leaf. Although with the full sample in a small gaiwan the leaves don't have much space to move and probably act as a sort of filter anyway.
Proinsias

Postby teaskeptic » Oct 14th, '10, 14:25

Aroma of the wet leaves: rubbery floral, hint of candy. Mostly rubber floral.

Aroma of the tea liquid: pretty muted

Tea: flavors are also a bit muted, mouthfeel is a bit thin

This is sounding pretty negative, but I think this is a good intro to tgy. Nothing really jumps at me, but I felt pretty nice afterwards, and that's a benefit I would probably take over any of the other usual attributes.
teaskeptic

Postby TwoPynts » Oct 14th, '10, 14:37

teaskeptic wrote:#5...This is sounding pretty negative, but I think this is a good intro to tgy. Nothing really jumps at me, but I felt pretty nice afterwards, and that's a benefit I would probably take over any of the other usual attributes.

I note that as well -- felt really good. But I forgot to mention it.
Finished the last infusion of the #3, 6 total. It was a bit more solid and orchidy than the others, with more buttery mouth feel and "potato" flavor, not not head and shoulders above. The last 2 cups went really well with my leftover steak I have to say. :wink:
TwoPynts

Postby nickE » Oct 14th, '10, 21:05

I brewed up #2 followed by #1 today. :shock: I'll start with #2. The dry leaves were super fragrant, quite floral. It slides around the mouth really nicely but it's actually not that buttery. The flavor reminded me of being in a greenhouse, delicious. Got hints of lemon zest in the aftertaste, the flavor is really sweet, too. Moreso than the previous 3 IMO. Leaves are mostly intact, got 8 steeps.

After brewing #1 directly after, it was clear that this tea is on a different level. Wow! The dry leaves give off a very herbal scent, pretty strong, hard to place. It's insanely buttery in the mouth, thick in the back of the throat, made my tongue tingle. A very soft aftertaste that lasted the longest of any grade by far. The flavor was the most complex I've ever encountered in a TGY. Again, wow! Leaves were actually more broken than #2, 12 steeps from this one.

Grade 2

Grade 1
nickE

Postby Drax » Oct 14th, '10, 21:08

nickE -- awesome! I had a similar experience with #2 and #1. I've kept #1 in my gaiwan and I've brewed an additional cup occasionally this week in the evenings. I think I'm on steep #8 and it was still quite powerful. I'm glad to see it can go even further! :lol:
Drax

Postby Chip » Oct 14th, '10, 22:35

Thank you thank you thank you everyone ... so far ... for your reviews and comments! [EDIT] ...and photos!!!!!

So, did everyone receive their OTTI 6?

BTW, day two of #2, no idea how many steeps anymore, but still aromatic and flavorful ... I will say no more, leaving that to all of the participants! :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby qiao2zhi4 » Oct 15th, '10, 08:45

up to now, mine didn't arrive here in far far austria ... :( :( :(
qiao2zhi4

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions