OTTI Round 6 TGY, however you spell it.

"Official Tea Tasting Initiative" Teas shared & discussed.

Re: OTTI Round 6 TGY, however you spell it.

Postby David R. » Oct 15th, '10, 10:16

I haven't received them yet. With the local post service and the strikes going on here, I have learnt to be patient. :wink:

I love the spoilers !
David R.

Postby iannon » Oct 15th, '10, 11:27

I am sure i did...only I am not there myself ;( i will have soemthing to look forward to when i get home!
iannon

#2!

Postby TwoPynts » Oct 15th, '10, 11:38

Brewing #2 today. The broth is paler, but the orchid aroma is stronger. For me anyway--my co-worker with whom I shared some didn't detect it at all. She pointed out that orchids don't smell, with which I had to disagree. :lol: She did enjoy the TKY#2 though, as I am right now on infusion five (5.5 minute steep). This has a more distinct flavor than the previous ones more herbal as nickE pointed out. Lovely smooth mouth feel and the first two infusions really made the back of my throat stand up and take notice. I look forward to seeing how many infusions I can get.

brewing.jpg
Unconventional brewing at work.
brewing.jpg (27.87 KiB) Viewed 622 times

:roll: :lol:
TwoPynts

Postby Victoria » Oct 15th, '10, 11:43

Mine finally arrived, I'm probably the last in the USA to get theirs.

Will brew some up shortly, when my assistant shows up. We will have a little
at work tasting. Really tempted to start with #1. :twisted:
Victoria

Postby TwoPynts » Oct 15th, '10, 11:45

Victoria wrote:Mine finally arrived, I'm probably the last in the USA to get theirs.

Will brew some up shortly, when my assistant shows up. We will have a little
at work tasting. Really tempted to start with #1. :twisted:

Don't do it! :wink:

BTW, infusion number six (#2) has a wonderful scent of freshly baked potatoes.
TwoPynts

Postby the_economist » Oct 15th, '10, 12:00

had #2 and #1.
i must say, i prefer #3 over #2 and #1 if only because the flavour is less 'green'.

but for a greener oolong, #2 and #1 are pretty good. #1 for me had less scent than #2 but mouthfeel and taste were much better (distinctive, stronger and thicker).

also, #1 has a nice energy. wonderful after pulling an all nighter. flavours from 1 and 2 are more akin to 4 than 3. 3 was really an oddball for me. but its quite possible i just may have gotten the slightly more roasted bit of #3.

this has been a cool cool exercise. looking forward to having a rematch with all these grades with the rest of the sample!
the_economist

Postby Victoria » Oct 15th, '10, 14:18

Well feeling deprived and decidedly last as of late, caused the spoiled child in me to emerge and I decided to "eat my dessert" first.

So I started with #1. I thought the dry aroma was just amazing. It was fresh and green with a hint of cinnamon, which is my favorite combination. The wet leaves however had more of a earthy, musty smell as noted by my co-workers. When I mentioned potato, they agreed, but it may have been more just the suggestion. The taste was lighter and milder than I was expecting. Only the slightest bit of a cinnamon note has emerged so far.

I am anxious now to try more, as I believe I will find a more perfect balance in #2, going by other reviewers.

Thanks Chip and IPT for this opportunity to try these lovely oolongs.
Victoria

Postby JRS22 » Oct 15th, '10, 18:01

Sadly I won't be providing any comments or feedback. There's an oolong flavor component that turns me off to all the good qualities of oolong tea, even #1. I participated in the OTTI anyway because I was hoping this time wood be different. Someone is coming to visit soon who is a fan of oolong teas and I'm sure he'll appreciate the samples.

On the bright side, there's lots of green tea to drink, and puerh samples to taste.
JRS22

Postby teaskeptic » Oct 15th, '10, 20:01

Flavor was pretty mild and mellow, but I really enjoyed the aftertaste. It was pretty subtle, but very sweet and candy-like, almost like cotton candy. I just wish there was more of it.

Other than that my initial thoughts were "like #5, but with less of the bad and more of the good".

Definitely more curious about 3, 2, and 1 now.

Hooray for OTTIs!
teaskeptic

Postby kymidwife » Oct 16th, '10, 00:42

Mine is here, just haven't been able to sit down and enjoy any of it yet. Working for a living really sucks. I could drink SO much more tea if I could just be at home now and then! I'm out of town tomorrow and back on Sunday, so I hope to crack into that box and start my own tastings. Thanks everyone for the great reviews so far.

Sarah
kymidwife

Postby Victoria » Oct 16th, '10, 17:55

kymidwife wrote:Mine is here, just haven't been able to sit down and enjoy any of it yet. Working for a living really sucks. I could drink SO much more tea if I could just be at home now and then! I'm out of town tomorrow and back on Sunday, so I hope to crack into that box and start my own tastings. Thanks everyone for the great reviews so far.
Sarah

I hear ya! Although I'm fortunate to have an office and not be so much on the run as you. Still 10 hour work days definitely impact tea drinking, especially when it's busy. But I have a plan to fix all that come January. :wink:

Today I'm trying #2 - I love it as I knew I would. It's more floral, nicely fresh and green, with more body; less flat with a thicker feel. Nice aftertaste.
Really loving this one. Wow.
Victoria

Postby David R. » Oct 18th, '10, 06:54

Just received them ! The kettle is already on the stove... :D
David R.

Postby tortoise » Oct 18th, '10, 10:06

Over the weekend I had number 4 and 5. I wasn't impressed with 4 at all. Weak color, weak flavor and really chopped up leaves. Needless to say, my hopes were not high for #5...but I was surprised. #5 was quite nice. The leaves were in better shape than 4, and though light-bodied, it had a nice creeping sweetness and aroma. My houses' favorites were number 2, followed by 3, with 5 running just behind. Barely.

Number 1 is ineligible because of poor choices made by yours truly. I was really glad to participate and want to thank IPT and Chinese-tea-culture for his generosity and CHIP for his coordination of the project.
tortoise

Postby nickE » Oct 18th, '10, 16:40

I'm loving reading all these reviews! It's interesting how many of us are coming to the same conclusions.

A big thanks to Chip & IPT for the experience, quite eye-opening! :D
nickE

Postby IPT » Oct 18th, '10, 17:02

You are quite welcome. I am happy most of you are enjoying the tea. Chip really does a lot of work to get all this done. I didn't realize how much until I had participated in it.
IPT
Vendor Member

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions