New Technique White Tea

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Oct 13th, '10, 02:18

New Technique White Tea

by Nenugal » Oct 13th, '10, 02:18

Anyone familiar with this type of white tea? I have seen it available one or two places, but I have not been able to find much information about it. Is it worth trying? Is is considered a quality tea? Is it comparable to other types of white tea? Is it also known under some other name?

Oct 13th, '10, 03:59

Re: New Technique White Tea

by debunix » Oct 13th, '10, 03:59

I have not heard of such--can you suggest a link so we can check it out?

Oct 13th, '10, 05:27

by Nenugal » Oct 13th, '10, 05:27

Thank you, the description from the first link is quite interesting:

"The new technique white tea is a slightly fermented tea. The raw material is similar with Bai Mu Dan, much robust. New technique white tea was first created in 1968 to meet the special needs from European markets. Customers there find white tea good for health but the flavour is too light. New technique white tea is a result of Big White Tea (Da Bai Cha) grafted on Big White Hair (Da Bai Hao) from Fuding, Fujian province, China. Different from Bai Mu Dan and Shou Mei, the leaves has been rolled gently after withering. It is then dried, selected, piled and roasted. In the end, we get a newly invented tea that looks like green tea, smells like black tea, tastes like a typical white tea. The flavour is bolder and stronger than traditional white tea."

It is also mentioned that it ages well. I'm quite fond of white tea and I'm tempted to get a bag of this. Has anyone tried it and want to share their experiences?

Oct 13th, '10, 10:42

by Kunkali » Oct 13th, '10, 10:42

Sounds very interesting....I'm intrigued.

Oct 13th, '10, 11:04

by TwoPynts » Oct 13th, '10, 11:04

It certainly doesn't look like the white teas I'm used to.

Oct 13th, '10, 11:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 13th, '10, 11:27

Intriguing. A gimmick or a worthy contender?

Someone has to try it and report back!

Oct 13th, '10, 11:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Oct 13th, '10, 11:57

Sounds really good, like a beefier White Peony, which can at times already be quite robust. The dry leaf is gorgeous. Looking much like a Spring Darjeeling. I'm intrigued also.

Oct 15th, '10, 10:06

by Alex » Oct 15th, '10, 10:06

I've drunk loads of it!

Its very... very nice

I think its called new technique because the processing of it came about in the late 60s for European market.

It has much more flavour and a very nice malty sweetness. I highly suggest all to try some.

The tea comes out mid brown....and is almost oolong like if it weren't for that lingering peony freshness that just remains in tact accompanied by a deeper honey sweetness. A simple flavour profile that makes it a great everyday tea at any time. It has a dried mushroom smell when you stick your nose in the bag, pleasant earth autumn leaves on a forest floor vibe. One of my favourite teas last christmas.

I'm terrible at explaining taste but grab some...I cant imagine anyone not finding it enjoyable.

My second favourite white next to white Assam. Although I'd go so far to say its not really white tea at all.

The stuff I had looked a lot darker then the DTH grade.

More like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Organic-Fujian-New- ... 128wt_1139

Oct 15th, '10, 10:57

by Nenugal » Oct 15th, '10, 10:57

Zensuji wrote:I've drunk loads of it!

Its very... very nice

I think its called new technique because the processing of it came about in the late 60s for European market.

It has much more flavour and a very nice malty sweetness. I highly suggest all to try some.

The tea comes out mid brown....and is almost oolong like if it weren't for that lingering peony freshness that just remains in tact accompanied by a deeper honey sweetness. A simple flavour profile that makes it a great everyday tea at any time. It has a dried mushroom smell when you stick your nose in the bag, pleasant earth autumn leaves on a forest floor vibe. One of my favourite teas last christmas.

I'm terrible at explaining taste but grab some...I cant imagine anyone not finding it enjoyable.

My second favourite white next to white Assam. Although I'd go so far to say its not really white tea at all.

The stuff I had looked a lot darker then the DTH grade.

More like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Organic-Fujian-New- ... 128wt_1139
Thank you very much Zensuji for sharing your experiences with this tea, I'll certainly buy some and try it myself now after this recommendation :)

Oct 15th, '10, 11:32

by Kunkali » Oct 15th, '10, 11:32

When you said fruity and malty I think I cried a little as that reminds me of my Assam white the king of all white teas...now I think I HAVE to try this new technique one!

Oct 15th, '10, 12:19

by Alex » Oct 15th, '10, 12:19

The sweetness on the stuff I had was like dried apricot. Combined with the maltyness it was incredible. Obviously grades may vary.

Oct 15th, '10, 13:20

by Nenugal » Oct 15th, '10, 13:20

This sounds very exciting, I've just ordered 50 g from DTH and I'll report back when it arrives and I've had a chance to try it!

Oct 15th, '10, 13:47

by Alex » Oct 15th, '10, 13:47

Nenugal wrote:This sounds very exciting, I've just ordered 50 g from DTH and I'll report back when it arrives and I've had a chance to try it!
Yeah let me know your impressions of theirs as I'd like some more.

Oct 18th, '10, 11:31

by Sirwill » Oct 18th, '10, 11:31

Nenugal wrote: ...It is also mentioned that it ages well. I'm quite fond of white tea and I'm tempted to get a bag of this.
Aged, loose white tea...?

Sounds like a gimmick...

+ Post Reply