I'm a little teapot

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Aug 18th, '07, 15:43

I'm a little teapot

by Scarlet Glow » Aug 18th, '07, 15:43

Hey hey!

I just started drinking tea... yesterday! :o

My curiousity got the best of me after visiting a fresh market in Indianapolis, Indiana. I saw two whole rows deticated to nothing but tea. :shock: I have always been interested in the big fuss over tea, so I did some research. After prowling online for anything I could read about tea, I was amazed at all the health benefits, the lower but more useful caffine levels, and, more improtantly, the wide range of flavors and options. :)

I suffer from minor anxiety and panic attacks. I am normally able to keep them under control but caffine is definately an enemy. :evil: I live a caffine free life but after drinking some teas with caffine, it didn't seem to effect me (and after reading how different caffine is in tea to coffee, I understand why).

So, I'm a tea drinker now! I just received my kettle, teapot, and cup two days ago, but I have only had time to make one tea so far. Scarlet Glow. If you haven't heard of it, it tasted like you were drinking flowers... heh heh... and the aroma was that of a garden. It was very good hot (haven't tried it cold, yet). However, I can't wait to enjoy more flavors that I have awaiting me in my pantry. :wink:

Just one last thing to say... this website rocks!! I Can't wait to start reading the forums and expanding my knowledge of tea.

As always, thank you for reading this! 8)

P.S. This is the second forum about tea that I have joined. People were very rude, immature, and stuck-up on the first forum. :evil: I'm sorry to say that... but from what I have read so far, everyone on here seems awesome! :D

Aug 18th, '07, 15:55

by Wesli » Aug 18th, '07, 15:55

Welcome Scarlet,
We here at Teachat love tea. If you can share that love then everyone will get along just fine.
See you in the chat room!

:arrow: Rage

Aug 18th, '07, 18:19
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 18th, '07, 18:19

Yep, welcome scarlet glow...love the avatar. Heheh, and very appropriate for one sensitive to caffeine.

Any tea preference?
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 18th, '07, 18:29

by Scarlet Glow » Aug 18th, '07, 18:29

Well, so far... to my embarassment in front of you veteran tea drinkers, I have only brewed and drank two teas. Yes, I only have two tally marks to add to my 'tea-sperience'.

Those were, Scarlet Glow (hence the name, I thought I would commemorate my first brew) and an Earl Grey tea. The Scarlet Glow had a very nice aroma... but I liked the taste of the Earl Grey more. :)

I am going to attempt to brew White Peony (Bai Mudan) tonight. I will be sure to let you know how that goes. :wink:

By the way, thanks for the warm welcome! :D

Aug 18th, '07, 18:45

by Eastree » Aug 18th, '07, 18:45

Welcome Scarlet. Don't think you're the only one here somewhat new to tea! xD

Besides, you'll find your tea niche in no time at all.

Aug 18th, '07, 19:20

by Scarlet Glow » Aug 18th, '07, 19:20

Ok, just tried White Peony (Bai Mudan), actually I'm drinking it as I type this. It's very good. I feel like I don't even want to add sugar to this. However, with the Earl Grey, I did want to add some.

I was skeptical of white tea because of what I've been hearing from my peers (non-tea drinkers)... but I think this is my favorite so far. :wink:

Add another tally for me! lol!! woot! :D

Aug 18th, '07, 20:15

by Chip » Aug 18th, '07, 20:15

Scarlet Glow wrote:Ok, just tried White Peony (Bai Mudan), actually I'm drinking it as I type this. It's very good. I feel like I don't even want to add sugar to this. However, with the Earl Grey, I did want to add some.

I was skeptical of white tea because of what I've been hearing from my peers (non-tea drinkers)... but I think this is my favorite so far. :wink:

Add another tally for me! lol!! woot! :D
Heheh, perhaps there is hope for you after all.

Seriously though, you may be finding that you also like straight nonflavored nonsweetened tea. Be sure to try green tea.

Aug 19th, '07, 00:19

Tea is our friend

by hop_goblin » Aug 19th, '07, 00:19

Hey Scarlet, I think that the reason tea doesn't affect you the same way that other caffinated drinks do is that tea is the only organic substance on earth that contains L-theanine. It is a wonderful compound and is one of the reasons I drink tea myself. I hope the link below helps! Oh and Welcome!

www.l-theanine.com/intro.htm

Aug 19th, '07, 12:27

by Scarlet Glow » Aug 19th, '07, 12:27

Chip: I agree with you, however, I think I made the mistake of trying a sweet flower blend of tea first before trying a more 'regular' blend. What I mean by that is... the only tea I've ever had is Lipton or some big name brand like that (and I'm used to it being iced rather than hot). So, trying that overly sweet, flavor-packed tea first kind of caught me off guard. I really didn't know what to think. It was like "man, do all of them taste like this?" I almost became dissapointed, but as I tried more, I started acquiring the 'typical tea taste'. In other words, my experience with tea is getting better and better... I think I just started off on the wrong foot. :wink:

Hop_goblin: Thanks ever so much for the website! :D It was very informative. It was awesome to see that it can reduce stress and anxiety. Also, my doctor said that, even at the age of 21, I have higher blood pressure than normal, but that may be caused by anxiety... so it was nice to read about how it reduces blood pressure as well. Also, loved the fact that it improves learning and concentration... that will come in handy since college is starting tomorrow. :shock:

I will be trying some Sencha in a few minutes. I'll let you know how that goes! :wink:

Aug 19th, '07, 15:04

by scruffmcgruff » Aug 19th, '07, 15:04

Actually, there is a non-edible mushroom, Xerocomus badius, that produces L-theanine as well. It may be a totally useless fact, but that seems to be my specialty. :)

I almost forgot... welcome Scarlet! It's nice to have another college student on here. Don't worry about not having much experience with tea, that will change sooner than you think. :)
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Aug 19th, '07, 15:40

by hop_goblin » Aug 19th, '07, 15:40

scruffmcgruff wrote:Actually, there is a non-edible mushroom, Xerocomus badius, that produces L-theanine as well. It may be a totally useless fact, but that seems to be my specialty. :)

I almost forgot... welcome Scarlet! It's nice to have another college student on here. Don't worry about not having much experience with tea, that will change sooner than you think. :)
Scruff - Yeah Yeah Mr. Smarty Pants! :lol:

Aug 19th, '07, 16:16

by Scarlet Glow » Aug 19th, '07, 16:16

Scruff: Thanks for the welcome! Can I safely assume that you are a college student (since you said it was nice to have another one on here)? 8) Heh heh. That's awesome about that non-edible mushroom. Too bad it's, er, non-edible. Bleh, I don't like mushrooms anyways. :wink:

Hop_goblin: I actually laughed out loud at your comment. :lol: Good times.

Well well, my first cup of green tea was delicous. I tried some Sencha. It was soothing with a hint of a... uh... sweet grassy flavor if you will. Good stuff. I think the idea of having a cup of tea is just relaxing in itself. Gives the person something to look forward to at the end of a long day. :wink: Take that coffee drinkers! :lol:

Aug 19th, '07, 16:34

by Chip » Aug 19th, '07, 16:34

Scarlet Glow wrote:Scruff: Thanks for the welcome! Can I safely assume that you are a college student (since you said it was nice to have another one on here)? 8) Heh heh. That's awesome about that non-edible mushroom. Too bad it's, er, non-edible. Bleh, I don't like mushrooms anyways. :wink:

Hop_goblin: I actually laughed out loud at your comment. :lol: Good times.

Well well, my first cup of green tea was delicous. I tried some Sencha. It was soothing with a hint of a... uh... sweet grassy flavor if you will. Good stuff. I think the idea of having a cup of tea is just relaxing in itself. Gives the person something to look forward to at the end of a long day. :wink: Take that coffee drinkers! :lol:
MMM, sencha is my fav!!! Yes, it can be sweet grassy kinda thing goin' on. It can also be strongly vegetal.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Aug 19th, '07, 16:56

by scruffmcgruff » Aug 19th, '07, 16:56

Yes, I'm a college student too. Where do you go to school?

Mmm, sencha is good stuff, I'm glad you liked it!

Aug 19th, '07, 17:35

by Scarlet Glow » Aug 19th, '07, 17:35

I go to Indiana University. I am currently majoring in Marketing... just starting my second year of that degree though. However, I already have an associates degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering Technology from Purdue. I'm a nerd! Heh heh. I also worked at Purdue while going to school there so I know almost all of the staff. When they heard about me going to IUK, they started playfully calling me "The Traitor" because those two schools love to compete. :wink:

How about you? :)

+ Post Reply