O-Cha "Official" Japanese tea topic

Comprehensive member driven guide to vendors of all teas

Oct 30th, '10, 01:53

Re: O-Cha "Official" Japanese tea topic

by entropyembrace » Oct 30th, '10, 01:53

My third order from O-cha arrived a few days ago...Chiran Sencha, Oku Yutaka and Yame Gyokuro are all very good and enjoyable :) Also ordered some matcha but I won´t be opening it until I finish one of the cans I have open already.

They´ve pretty quickly earned a place among my favourite vendors :)
Quality and freshness are good across the price range...though you´ll get more complex teas when you spend more. Packaging is really nice too and Haven´t had any problems with any of my orders :)

Nov 9th, '10, 00:27

by fdrx » Nov 9th, '10, 00:27

chiran sencha smells incredible and the tea is nice too, i don't know much about sencha but the smell was really amazing when i opened the bag this week

Mar 16th, '11, 18:32

Re: "Official" O-Cha Japanese tea topic

by Chasm » Mar 16th, '11, 18:32

Chip wrote: Over the years, I would like to think that my recommendations and samples sent of O-Cha teas have led many others to try not only O-Cha tea, but to try "real" Japanese teas for the first time.
Both were true for me.

Jul 5th, '11, 14:41

Re: "Official" O-Cha Japanese tea topic

by sherubtse » Jul 5th, '11, 14:41

Chasm wrote:
Chip wrote: Over the years, I would like to think that my recommendations and samples sent of O-Cha teas have led many others to try not only O-Cha tea, but to try "real" Japanese teas for the first time.
Both were true for me.
And for me as well!

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Aug 15th, '11, 23:11
Scrolling: scrolling

by Running for Tea » Aug 15th, '11, 23:11

I am planning on placing my first order with O-Cha as a sort of late brithday/get ready for school gift to myself. My future order is looking like:
Kabusecha
Kagoshima Sencha Yutaka Midori
then either Uji Gyokuro Shou-Un or Yame Gyokuro

anyone want to guide me with their tea expertise?

Aug 15th, '11, 23:31

by AdamMY » Aug 15th, '11, 23:31

Running for Tea wrote:I am planning on placing my first order with O-Cha as a sort of late brithday/get ready for school gift to myself. My future order is looking like:
Kabusecha

I personally have never been a big fan of Kabuse, though I can not say I have given it a full fledged chance. My view of it is, if I want sencha I want sencha, if I want Gyo I want Gyo, I never really feel like something that is so to speak stuck in the middle. YM is a classic heavier steamed Sencha, although I am not sure about peoples opinion of this years selection, but it normally is high quality.

I have an unopened bag of Shou-un, but I have yet to try it, and I have had Yame several times, the thing about Yame is it is more of a starter gyokuro. By that I mean you have to really abuse it to get a bad brew, and its a wonderful taste. But its not as powerful as some higher quality gyokuorls

Aug 16th, '11, 10:59

by Running for Tea » Aug 16th, '11, 10:59

AdamMY wrote:
Running for Tea wrote:I am planning on placing my first order with O-Cha as a sort of late brithday/get ready for school gift to myself. My future order is looking like:
Kabusecha

I personally have never been a big fan of Kabuse, though I can not say I have given it a full fledged chance. My view of it is, if I want sencha I want sencha, if I want Gyo I want Gyo, I never really feel like something that is so to speak stuck in the middle. YM is a classic heavier steamed Sencha, although I am not sure about peoples opinion of this years selection, but it normally is high quality.

I have an unopened bag of Shou-un, but I have yet to try it, and I have had Yame several times, the thing about Yame is it is more of a starter gyokuro. By that I mean you have to really abuse it to get a bad brew, and its a wonderful taste. But its not as powerful as some higher quality gyokuorls
I think I will always have some love for kabuse. It was my first "real" japanese green that I purchased. I saw posts raving about how good past years YM was, so I figure I'll give this years a shot. Since I've never brewed gyokuro myself, I'm leaning toward the Yame. I very much appreciate the response!
I guess the only question I have left would be to someone who has had this years YM

Aug 16th, '11, 11:16

by Chip » Aug 16th, '11, 11:16

The Uji Kabuse is quite good, although I did not have this years.

The YM is a bit milder this year I think, but still very good. I had the shincha. I think it somehow improves after being open for a few weeks which is hard for me to understand.

I have a bag of the Yame unopened. It has been a couple years since I had it, but it is a good gyokuro ... especially at the price. I usually do not like cheaper gyo, but I do like this one.

Aug 16th, '11, 16:43

by Chesslover » Aug 16th, '11, 16:43

Chip wrote:The YM is a bit milder this year I think, but still very good. I had the shincha. I think it somehow improves after being open for a few weeks which is hard for me to understand.
Same here too...when I opened this year's YM it tasted like some roasted chinese green tea...but now when Im left with only some 20 g, this taste is much weaker, if not gone completely...strange

If last years' YM was perfect 5, this year's is 4-5...

Aug 16th, '11, 19:20

by sherubtse » Aug 16th, '11, 19:20

Chip wrote:The Uji Kabuse is quite good, although I did not have this years.
I have a bag of this years Kabusecha in the fridge, unopened. Although I have had this type of tea before, this is my first bag of the stuff from O-Cha. I bought it as a change of pace from my usual diet of fukas, and am looking foward to getting at it.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Aug 19th, '11, 12:06

by Chasm » Aug 19th, '11, 12:06

I've had O-cha's Kabusecha from both 2009 and 2010. The big difference I noticed was that the 2009 wouldn't go more than three infusions, where the 2010 was good for 5-6. I very much liked both for the sweet and grassy flavors.

Sep 18th, '11, 18:10

by sydfoxx » Sep 18th, '11, 18:10

sounds yummy!

Sep 19th, '11, 07:45

by sherubtse » Sep 19th, '11, 07:45

Chasm wrote:I've had O-cha's Kabusecha from both 2009 and 2010. The big difference I noticed was that the 2009 wouldn't go more than three infusions, where the 2010 was good for 5-6. I very much liked both for the sweet and grassy flavors.
Five to six infusions? :shock:

I get at most 3 brews out of my 2011 version. But then again, I like a strong-tasting tea. :mrgreen:

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Sep 19th, '11, 07:56

by Chip » Sep 19th, '11, 07:56

What are your steeping times, how much leaf for Kabuse? I am getting this in, it has been a while.

Sep 19th, '11, 14:48

by sherubtse » Sep 19th, '11, 14:48

Chip wrote:What are your steeping times, how much leaf for Kabuse? I am getting this in, it has been a while.
Here are my parameters:

5g per 8oz water (1 cup) - 1st: 60 deg. for 90 sec. (excellent brew)
- 2nd: 65 deg. for 30 sec. (nice brew)
- 3rd: 70 deg. for 5+ min. (so-so brew)

I think you like the 1:1 ratio, Chip. Have never tried that much leaf, due to economic reasons. But I have one more day's worth of kabuse to go, so I might try it just to see what happens. :mrgreen:

Best wishes,
sherubtse

+ Post Reply