Brewing Dancongs and Yanchas...

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jul 22nd, '10, 16:11

Brewing Dancongs and Yanchas...

by bryan_drinks_tea » Jul 22nd, '10, 16:11

I think I already know the answer to this, but I am somewhat humble and willing to learn...so here goes:

is it..ok/appropriate to brew both yancha and Dancongs in the same yixing? I don't have a teapot for either, but I was wondering since I'm building quite a good collection of both.

thanks.

Jul 22nd, '10, 17:25

Re: Brewing Dancongs and Yanchas...

by wyardley » Jul 22nd, '10, 17:25

I would tend not to use the same pot for both teas, at least long-term. There is some similarity / overlap between Fenghuang dancong and Wuyi yancha, but overall, they tend to have different flavor profiles.

Also, for many of these teas, I have often had as good (or even better) results with a thin porcelain gaiwan. I would try that first with the teas you have, and see if you even prefer the taste of the same tea when brewed in a Yixing or Chaozhou pot.

Jul 22nd, '10, 23:15

by Tead Off » Jul 22nd, '10, 23:15

bryan_drinks_tea wrote:I think I already know the answer to this, but I am somewhat humble and willing to learn...so here goes:

is it..ok/appropriate to brew both yancha and Dancongs in the same yixing? I don't have a teapot for either, but I was wondering since I'm building quite a good collection of both.

thanks.
Since you are beyond the sampling point and seem committed to buying these teas, the flavor profiles and the coating that Wuyi tea would leave in the pot are reason enough to use different pots for these teas. I like using the same shape for both; wider pots that will accommodate the long, thin, leaves.

Gaiwan is convenient for quick use and high aroma notes (especially dancong), but depth of flavor is best in clay pot, IMO.

Jul 24th, '10, 15:08

by britt » Jul 24th, '10, 15:08

I would not use the same Yixing for Dan Cong and Wuyi, but I do use the same Yixing for different versions of each type i.e. one Yixing for all Dan Congs and a different Yixing for all Wuyis.

Oct 27th, '10, 15:46
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Oct 27th, '10, 15:46

and just to go way over the top :lol:

I received today 3 new Chao Zhou teapots from Imen.

all 100ml.

Fang Gu - I will dedicate to Ginger, Ginger Flower and closely related Xiangs. In response to a question on her blog Imen said that Dark leaf 'Da Wu Ye' trees can often have Ginger flower fragrance coaxed out of them. So I intend to use this pot for Dark Leaf DCs also. Imens current notes explain that Da Wu Ye can also exhibit Almond Xiang so I may add Almond to the list for this pot [ :shock: I had thought I might need a fourth pot :lol: ]. Despite notes that the current offerings fail to elicit Gingeriness or Almond notes- I am tonight christening with Da Wu Ye 2009

Stone Ladle - I will dedicate to Huang Zhi, yellow branch and sometimes referred to as Orange Blossom, so any others with citrusy note.

Bell - I will dedicate to Orchid Xiangs, and this will include my newly arrived Ba Xian which will be the next one up. This will feature side by side tastings in the new Chao Zhou and the 8 Immortals Gaiwan.

I will test out the Zei Shi "Thief Sh#t" in one of my old 'zen8tea' yixings that has only been used for DC - before deciding if I can afford a 4th or 5th Chao Zhou {yes after a few hours I am already in love with Chao Zhou pots}

Oct 27th, '10, 15:53

by debunix » Oct 27th, '10, 15:53

Herb_Master wrote:and just to go way over the top :lol:

{yes after a few hours I am already in love with Chao Zhou pots}
I have only the one 60mL pot and it is quite the charmer.

Oct 27th, '10, 15:58

by Herb_Master » Oct 27th, '10, 15:58

debunix wrote:

I have only the one 60mL pot and it is quite the charmer.

How do you mange to get a decent amount of long, wiry leaf into a 60 ml pot :wink:

Oct 27th, '10, 16:10

by NOESIS » Oct 27th, '10, 16:10

debunix wrote: I have only the one 60mL pot and it is quite the charmer.
I have only a 90ml Chao Zhou for all my Dancong brewing. Fill it 3/4, use water just off the boil, and longer-than-average steeps. Sweet, grippy and quite energetic. :D

Oct 27th, '10, 16:14

by NOESIS » Oct 27th, '10, 16:14

britt wrote:I would not use the same Yixing for Dan Cong and Wuyi, but I do use the same Yixing for different versions of each type i.e. one Yixing for all Dan Congs and a different Yixing for all Wuyis.
I agree, and this is what I do as well, except I use a Chao Zhou for dancongs and a 70s Zhuni for yanchas.

Oct 27th, '10, 20:12

by Herb_Master » Oct 27th, '10, 20:12

This evening - Infusion 5

Infusion 6

the Chao Zhou pot

The Da Wu Ye leaves

Oct 27th, '10, 20:29

by debunix » Oct 27th, '10, 20:29

Herb_Master wrote:[How do you mange to get a decent amount of long, wiry leaf into a 60 ml pot :wink:
Start with prewarmed pot; add leaf, encouraging it to enter the pot, look at long ends sticking out, shake head, sigh. Put one or two really long straight twisty leaves back in the container for another day with a larger gaiwan or pot (before they touch water, of course). Plan for the day when I will brew an all-long-leaf batch of tea.

Add hot water, and quickly attempt to persuade the leaves to bend and fully enter the pot.

If they are not sufficiently encouraged, press harder and stuff lid on anyway.

Soon, they give up, are pliable, and all is well.

Oct 27th, '10, 21:07

by Herb_Master » Oct 27th, '10, 21:07

debunix wrote: Start with prewarmed pot; add leaf, encouraging it to enter the pot, look at long ends sticking out, shake head, sigh.
Love it, but it's fun isn't it :D
debunix wrote: Put one or two really long straight twisty leaves back in the container for another day with a larger gaiwan or pot (before they touch water, of course). Plan for the day when I will brew an all-long-leaf batch of tea.
Good idea, I broke a couple, it did not seem to affect the brew! :wink:
debunix wrote: If they are not sufficiently encouraged, press harder and stuff lid on anyway.
Have you tried talking to them :lol:

Imen seems to have improved her packaging, inside the foil packs are cellophane packets, and the leaves seem to be more whole and less bitty than a couple of years ago - but somehow inside the cellophane packs thet are tightly packed.

Teasing out the leaves gently so as not to harm them the interspacial gaps seemed to grow so that when they went into the 100ml CZ pot there were lots and lots of air gaps, and 2 gm quickly filled the pot I was intending to put 5 gm in - it took me a goodly amount of sieve like shaking to persuade them to settle down and I still had to break a few.

Oct 28th, '10, 00:04

by Tead Off » Oct 28th, '10, 00:04

NOESIS wrote:
britt wrote:I would not use the same Yixing for Dan Cong and Wuyi, but I do use the same Yixing for different versions of each type i.e. one Yixing for all Dan Congs and a different Yixing for all Wuyis.
I agree, and this is what I do as well, except I use a Chao Zhou for dancongs and a 70s Zhuni for yanchas.

This is what I do as well. Luckily, I have different sized pots in both types so I can choose depending upon the tea and mood.

I find the gaiwan is good with DC that has more of an astringent quality as it will raise the high notes(aroma & fruit) and not deepen the bottom ones. I think I'll brew some DC right now!

Oct 28th, '10, 18:00

by britt » Oct 28th, '10, 18:00

Tead Off wrote:
NOESIS wrote:

This is what I do as well. Luckily, I have different sized pots in both types so I can choose depending upon the tea and mood.

I find the gaiwan is good with DC that has more of an astringent quality as it will raise the high notes(aroma & fruit) and not deepen the bottom ones. I think I'll brew some DC right now!
I only use my Lu Ni for Wuyi, but in the past had used Pin Zi Ni with good results. I use two different Pin Zi Ni for Dan Cong and occasionally use a porcelain gaiwan as well. I think the Dan Cong is good both ways, but I haven't yet tried the Wuyi in porcelain.

Oct 31st, '10, 07:27

by David R. » Oct 31st, '10, 07:27

Herb_Master wrote:and just to go way over the top :lol:

I received today 3 new Chao Zhou teapots from Imen.

all 100ml.
Is there a way to have photos of the 2 other chao zhou pots ? :) I think I am going to place an order soon... :roll: Nothing urgent though...

+ Post Reply