steeping in China

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Aug 23rd, '07, 00:50

steeping in China

by OliviaTurtle » Aug 23rd, '07, 00:50

I have been loving green tea for a few years now, and usually have been steeping at two minutes the first time, then four minutes the second time. Then I went to china this summer, and discovered that they steep much differently: only about 10 - 30 seconds, and this is after they "wash" the tea by steeping it briefly and tossing out that cup.

I think that includes dragonwell and other types I've tried here. I haven't figured out if it is an American taste preference, or if the varieties are truly different than we are drinking. On the other hand, they also keep the same leaves in a glass all day and keep refilling it. The way we steep here seems to create a fuller bodied tea.

I'm curious to hear any thoughts on this! Thanks

Aug 23rd, '07, 01:04
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Aug 23rd, '07, 01:04

Nah, same teas, just different brewing methods. Most Americans brew in a manner that is more European-inspired, that's all.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Aug 23rd, '07, 08:13

by aqueoustransmegan » Aug 23rd, '07, 08:13

there is a restaurant I used to go to where they brought this lil cart around and brewed your tea for you similar to the way you're suggesting. it was really cute....the food there kinda sucked butt but the tea was good.

I usually brew green tea for 3 mins or so but i have one from rishi I brew for 6 or 7 [which is what they suggested on the tin] and it is fabulous that way. I also had some whtie tea bags once that said steep 30-60 seconds....but most people would reccomend brewing white tea longer than black. i think it depends on the tea and your own personal opinion....play around and find what you like best...screw the "tea rules"

+ Post Reply