Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Nov 4th, '10, 01:17

Re: Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

by rdwrer » Nov 4th, '10, 01:17

debunix wrote:
rdwrer wrote:I'm looking forward to learning a lot with you folks and wading deeper into the murk.
Welcome, and join us in the quiet waters of teadom. Just tread carefully around the muddy edges of counterfeit teas and pots that aren't what they seem, and enjoy the rest!
Thanks! Exactly how to do that is something I hope to learn...

Nov 4th, '10, 01:26

by nickE » Nov 4th, '10, 01:26

Welcome!
rdwrer wrote:My favorite tea of late has been this young raw pu-erh from Ma Hei.
If it's from YS, I've tried it and love it as well. :)

Nov 4th, '10, 08:48

by PigsPray » Nov 4th, '10, 08:48

Hello there!

I hope to know all of you better having stumbled across this website.

How long have you been drinking tea? : for the past 20 years
What was your first Tea? Lipton
What is your favorite Tea currently? Earl Grey
What is your next purchase? My purpose here is to learn more about oriental teas with a view of getting some to try in the near future. I was given a package of matcha and it tastes different.
Where is your favorite spot to brew up? i do not have a favourite spot currently

Nov 4th, '10, 11:33
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Nov 4th, '10, 11:33

Welcome PigsPray, nice to have you with us!

Nov 8th, '10, 02:16

by Turtle1 » Nov 8th, '10, 02:16

Hi,
How long have you been drinking tea?
I've been drinking Sun Tea since I was a kid and have recently gotten into looseleaf teas last couple of years, so about 30 years

What was your first Tea?
Black Liptons and leaf mint from our garden for Sun Tea, or anything from our cupboard, typically black teas we threw together for a monster mash

What is your favorite Tea currently?
I really like Ti Kwan Yin and Oolongs in general, the sweeter the better in some instances, but there's a Jade Oolong #18 has piqued my interest.. I think it made me hallucinate sandpaper being dragged across my pallete, in a good way, and since then I haven't been able to forget it

What is your next purchase? A big order since I'm completely out of tea except all my sample sets. Dancong Aria, Jade Oolong #18, Yunnan Jig, and my private mix which I hope to refine after tasting it

Where is your favorite spot to brew up?
In any sunny spot. It really hadn't occured to me outside of sun tea to brew outside, but I guess I'll try it seeing as how I've a cast iron pot and a stove that'll boil a quart of water with very little effort. I did make some tea when I went backpacking last year and that was really thrilling to have tea to drink while we painted plein air amongst the billy goats and rock pica. It was sunny there, too. Aside from Sunny, I would say amongst Company outside of the 'teaparty' as they're much too much into politics

Nov 8th, '10, 03:10

by auhckw » Nov 8th, '10, 03:10

Since I was a little boy. Cannot even remember when.

It is very common here to be drinking tea when out having meal in restaurants. An example meal is, Bak Kut Teh:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bak_kut_teh
http://www.google.com.my/images?q=bak%2 ... 66&bih=575

What was your first Tea?
At the restaurants, they normally sell small packs of oolong, jasmin, chrysanthemum and puerh. They will loan you their teapot and free flow of hot water.

These are some of the tea I currently liked. Taste profile:-
-Gyokuro with soupy seaweed flavor
-LongJing with light taste and nice aroma
-Aged raw/ripe puerh with the old/herb flavor and smoothness
-Young raw puerh with the freshness and sweet aftertaste
-I've tasted few oolong that I liked too, but oolong taste profile is quite confusing to me. Will explore in future...

What is your next purchase?
-Puerh, puerh and puerh...

No favorite spot yet. Temporary brewing in the kitchen table using my portable tea tray. Once my new house is ready, will design one private corner for tea :)

Nov 9th, '10, 03:12

by BarbJ » Nov 9th, '10, 03:12

Hello!
I signed up here because I'm interested in how to make good tea. I love green tea, and recently discovered good green tea, as opposed to those "western" green tea bags. And so I'd like to learn more about the "good stuff"! I live in the San Fransisco Bay Area and so am fortunate that I can usually fine good tea that's imported often so it's usually pretty fresh. Lots of places have quick stock turn over.
I hope to learn lots from everyone here.

Since I was about 10 years old. On an off.
What was your first Tea?
Lipton, of course, with lemon and sugar. At about 12 my friends and I discovered Bigelow's "Constant Comment" orange and spice tea and I realized that there was something better than what my Mom bought. lol!
As a teen I got to visit England and had English Breakfast with milk and sugar. Loved it, still enjoy it occasionally.
As a young adult I discovered sushi and at the same time, green tea. Still have a passion for both!
Loose leaf green tea. Yutaka midori is pretty darn good!
Not sure. I have Miyabi, Yutaka, and some shincha Futakamushi. I'll need to finish these first.
Brew it in my Kitchen, drink it in my favorite comfy chair in my living room.

Nov 9th, '10, 09:40

by Chip » Nov 9th, '10, 09:40

Hi Barb, you are a good name dropper!!! YM is da bombe! Miyabi is pretty close ...

Welcome everyone to TeaChat , see you around the forum! Share what is in your cup on TeaDay. :mrgreen:

Nov 9th, '10, 11:56

by Victoria » Nov 9th, '10, 11:56

Welcome new members! Drop by the TeaDay forum and let us know what's in your cup!

Nov 15th, '10, 03:10

by The3clipser » Nov 15th, '10, 03:10

Alright, I'll bite

Not very. I started drinking as much tea at work (Teavana) as I could (I'll bankrupt them somehow). Now that I know about their relative quality, I am looking to upgrade.

What was your first Tea?
No idea. The first tea experience I enjoyed was when I was in England. The hotel my friends and I stayed at had a bottomless teapot with breakfast. 10+ cups a morning of English Breakfast was great.

Again, I don't know too much, since I work at Teavana and am not sure what is real and what is fake. So far though, I like yerba mate (I know, it's not real tea) and white teas.

Gunpowder tea for a friend, and I don't know what for myself.

My dorm

Nov 15th, '10, 14:39

by Victoria » Nov 15th, '10, 14:39

Welcome! Glad to see the brainwashing didn't take. :wink:

Nov 15th, '10, 22:18

by mikek » Nov 15th, '10, 22:18

Newer to tea but getting really into it. I am currently a huge Teavana fan and get a lot there. I have one from a smaller store in Pgh PA which is mango passionfruit white. Just spectacular. Will follow the site closely.

Nov 20th, '10, 20:56

by astevens16 » Nov 20th, '10, 20:56

For a couple of years, maybe. Just started on loose-leaf a few months ago!

What was your first Tea?
I started with a chai tea mix--not exactly "tea." Moved from there to vanilla chai tea bags, and then tried some other flavors. Finally went to a local tea shop and braved some loose-leaf. And now I just bought a dozen or so samples to try out last month!

I'm still a flavored-tea-only gal. Not sure if I have a favorite, but it might be the scottish caramel toffee pu erh I have now.

Dunno.

Don't think I have a favorite spot, yet.

Nov 21st, '10, 04:11

by Kaja2737 » Nov 21st, '10, 04:11

For a couple of years, maybe around six...

What was your first Tea?
I don't know :D I started with green tea bags. My first loose leaf teas were few of flavoured greens.

Not sure if I have a favorite... I like good quality teas :) greens, oolongs and raw pu erh are all my favourites :mrgreen:

Pu erh from Yunnan Sourcing.

At home or in my appartment.

Nov 21st, '10, 20:33

by SlientSipper » Nov 21st, '10, 20:33

Hello, I am new to this board and I would like to extend my thanks for the existence of such a place. I've been sampling a wide variety of teas for quite some time. My goal is to sample all the Chinese teas.
I know I will most likely have to go to China to complete this goal. I look forward to it. I currently get my tea from China Town and sometimes... Teavana *gulp* I've tried 45 Chinese teas. I don't like bagged tea but, if you do that's okay.
My current Favorite is Gyukuro Matcha.
I've been itching for some Red Robe Oolong tea.

+ Post Reply